Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

hn777

Apr 22, 2019

Edit: So, according to these data, Ehlers is now the best play driving winger in the league, only trailing centers Malkin, Barkov, Crosby.

Not surprised. Literally every GAR/WAR chart (taking overall game impact into account), I have seen for the last few seasons have Ehlers top-10 LEAGUE WIDE among forwards. He is incredibly dynamic and tilts the ice.

If you take a positive spin, you can argue Maurice uses Ehlers to drive play on the 2nd line, if you take a negative spin (on Maurice re Ehlers), you can argue Maurice just likes Connor, Laine more, and therefore plays them with Scheifele on the topline.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Edit: So, according to these data, Ehlers is now the best play driving winger in the league, only trailing centers Malkin, Barkov, Crosby.

Not surprised. Literally every GAR/WAR chart (taking overall game impact into account), I have seen for the last few seasons have Ehlers top-10 LEAGUE WIDE among forwards. He is incredibly dynamic and tilts the ice.

If you take a positive spin, you can argue Maurice uses Ehlers to drive play on the 2nd line, if you take a negative spin (on Maurice re Ehlers), you can argue Maurice just likes Connor, Laine more, and therefore plays them with Scheifele on the topline.

I'm not even annoyed with him being on the 2nd line and his ATOI at 5v5. It's the lack of trust on pp, 4v4 and 3v3 that really ticks me off and imo shows that Paul has zero clue as to how best utilize Ehlers strengths.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I'm not even annoyed with him being on the 2nd line and his ATOI at 5v5. It's the lack of trust on pp, 4v4 and 3v3 that really ticks me off and imo shows that Paul has zero clue as to how best utilize Ehlers strengths.
Agreed. That would be the positive spin regarding the 5v5 usage, which I guess I am agreeing with. I mean, Connor or Laine would probably not drive play as well in the middle-six as Ehlers does, while they probably contribute as well as he would on the topline with Scheifele.

However, not using one of the best skating players in the league with more ice at 5v4, 3v3, 4v4 doesn't make sense.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
at 5v5

upload_2020-2-19_8-44-10.png

10th in the league in primary points too.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers if use properly can easily get 70 points or point a game avg.

With freakin good possesion game also.
3 years ago he was 2nd behind 1 player, Mcdavid.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers if use properly can easily get 70 points or point a game avg.

With freakin good possesion game also.
3 years ago he was 2nd behind 1 player, Mcdavid.

I'd say 70 pts is conservative considering he has had two seasons in the 60's with hardly any special teams play. Currently you will only find three players in the whole league that has more pts than him with less TOI.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If he stays with Scheif for an extended period they are both gonna rack up the points and dominate their opposition.

That would be nice to see. He sure was fun to watch last night. Gotta say, little Nikky is probably my favorite Jet right now. Bordering on man-crush territory. Our new seats are so awesome with watching warmup and the interaction between Laine and Ehlers.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
So what did Ehlers do to get demoted to the fourth line? His stint on the top line was short but sweet. Maurice really seems to hate the guy, it’s baffling.

Yep, and why did he let ESW play a total of 3:16 together?

Pretty good chance the plan was altogether to move Ehlers down to the 3rd line, so it would have been more fair and courageous of the coach to just start with Ehlers on the 3rd.

Instead he indirectly calls out Ehlers in the post-game presser.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yep, and why did he let ESW play a total of 3:16 together?

Pretty good chance the plan was altogether to move Ehlers down to the 3rd line, so it would have been more fair and courageous of the coach to just start with Ehlers on the 3rd.

Instead he indirectly calls out Ehlers in the post-game presser.

What did he say? But yeah should have started him on the third line if that’s what he wanted to do (even though I don’t agree with it).

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
What did he say? But yeah should have started him on the third line if that’s what he wanted to do (even though I don’t agree with it).
Talking about all the good things Harkins did for Scheifele and Wheeler:
"Made the change because I wasn't getting any of that beforehand"
[again, in 3:16 of icetime; and again, has he considered what Wheeler does for Ehlers - Scheifele etc....]

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Talking about all the good things Harkins did for Scheifele and Wheeler:
"Made the change because I wasn't getting any of that beforehand"
[again, in 3:16 of icetime; and again, has he considered what Wheeler does for Ehlers - Scheifele etc....]

Wonder if it’s something personal at this point...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Thank you for offering two spins on this. It's pretty rare nowadays around here with all the negativity.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
So what did Ehlers do to get demoted to the fourth line? His stint on the top line was short but sweet. Maurice really seems to hate the guy, it’s baffling.

Possibly might have been some carry over from the previous game; some posters here were calling out the top line for generating 0 shots on net for it.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Thank you for offering two spins on this. It's pretty rare nowadays around here with all the negativity.
Thanks. That's why I was disappointed with Maurice indirectly calling Ehlers out in the last post-game presser. He praised Harkins (and for good reason, he was great with Scheifele - Wheeler), and could have backed Ehlers up by saying something like "we wanted Ehlers to push play from the 3rd line, that's why we moved him". I remember back in the day, when Maurice would say extremely positive things about Ehlers.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don’t volunteer at DIU anymore after moving from Denmark.

But I still have lot’s of friends and contacts there.
Several of them say, that Ehlers has said to his father, who also works with DIU, that he is unhappy in Winnipeg, and apparently quite disillusioned with hockey for the first time in his life.

Why not ask for a trade? Apparently he is happy with his teammates and wanted to fight for it - however it is now said, he is pondering about asking for a trade.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I don’t volunteer at DIU anymore after moving from Denmark.

But I still have lot’s of friends and contacts there.
Several of them say, that Ehlers has said to his father, who also works with DIU, that he is unhappy in Winnipeg, and apparently quite disillusioned with hockey for the first time in his life.

Why not ask for a trade? Apparently he is happy with his teammates and wanted to fight for it - however it is now said, he is pondering about asking for a trade.
Thanks for the info. I don't blame him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad