Injury Report: Niklas Backstrom (Upper body)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You're asking what they're going to do with Backstrom. Russo has said if Backs ends up on IR, the Wild will make a move for a bit player like Jose Theodore or a similar stop-gap. Outside of that, there is pretty much nothing the Wild can do with Backstrom.

But are we going to continue doing that every time Backstrom goes down? If Theodore is signed to a contract, a) that takes up a contract spot for us to sign any FAs at the end of the year (Looking at Corbett mainly) and b) where would we stick him once Backstrom gets healthy? And what about next year?

I'm all for Gussy coming up and playing. Or Kuemper but can we endure some really bad goaltending in spurts of good goaltending? Are we going to be okay with losing a game or two due to bad goaltending?

I just don't see how Jose Theodore is going to make any difference now or next year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Read the Russo article... he spelled it all out. 1yr 2 way deal is all any potential temp backup would get.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Read the Russo article... he spelled it all out. 1yr 2 way deal is all any potential temp backup would get.

It's still counts as a contract. And if he's on a two-way, does he go to the...ECHL after Backstrom comes back? The 1 year, 2 way deal is a no-brainer but...where does he really go? To the AHL to make popcorn?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's still counts as a contract. And if he's on a two-way, does he go to the...ECHL after Backstrom comes back? The 1 year, 2 way deal is a no-brainer but...where does he really go? To the AHL to make popcorn?

Get yourself an account on twitter and tweet that question to @Russostrib.

I bet that he would love you! ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Get yourself an account on twitter and tweet that question to @Russostrib.

I bet that he would love you! ;)

Actually Russo and I have tweeted back and forth before. The question remains if this happens next year as well. Ugh. But it's in the overall sense of what are we going to do with Backstrom in the next few years. Not just now (we have a sort of plan. Sucky plan but plan nonetheless).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The problem is, you think every little conundrum is an end of the world thing that needs to be fixed now or else.

The World doesn't work that way. There are always problems that pop up that need to be handled along the way. Nothing EVER goes EXACTLY to plan. Prioritize the big problems and deal with the smaller ones as they come up.

The Wild overall are in great position right now with some flaws (as all teams always have flaws) that have to be handled on the fly.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The problem is, you think every little conundrum is an end of the world thing that needs to be fixed now or else.

The World doesn't work that way. There are always problems that pop up that need to be handled along the way. Nothing EVER goes EXACTLY to plan. Prioritize the big problems and deal with the smaller ones as they come up.

The Wild overall are in great position right now with some flaws (as all teams always have flaws) that have to be handled on the fly.

I agree with him to an extent. While I do not think it is by any means a crisis, it is a valid question of what do we with Backstrom if he simply can not perform his duties for the remainder of his contract?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That is something the team would have to address sure, but it isn't something that is even remotely concerning at this moment in time. It's something that would have to be worked out if/when the time comes.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
I hate speculating, but the IA Wild have released their PTO goalie who was backing up Kuemper for the past 2 games today. Their next game is on Friday night.

Would this mean, by any chance, that there's a possibility Backstrom might be back sooner than expected?

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I hate speculating, but the IA Wild have released their PTO goalie who was backing up Kuemper for the past 2 games today. Their next game is on Friday night.

Would this mean, by any chance, that there's a possibility Backstrom might be back sooner than expected?

Either that or we're about to sign someone like Theo.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Possibly, or do you think there might be a possibility we are signing another goalie?

Backstrom could definitely be coming back, if he is, then that's good. Not all concussions are the same, but they can be very serious.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
7af237298754417868603cc5c49bb320.png

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Is it wrong for me to wish those shots were Vodka and not rubber?

Oh god I am so transparent in my Backstrom hate.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
@BlountStrib2h
Backstrom and Harding getting most of the work at Wild practice. Kuemper mostly a spectator.

Michael Russo‏@Russostrib3h
RT @BlountStrib: Backstrom and Ballard on the ice for Wild practice in Winnipeg. #mnwild

sounds like Backstrom is feeling well enough to practice. wonder if this means now that Kuemper will get sentdown and Backstrom will be able to return next week? maybe during the back-to-back vs COL next weekend.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well, last year we rode backs too much, this year im afraid we'll ride hards too much. i just dont see hards staying lava hot for the entire season. only mgmt & backs know if he can regain his past form. i sure hope we're looking at other options if this is the best backs can be.

OnTheFly19

Nov 15, 2013
On a lake, Minnesota
Riding Harding so hard lately was what was worrying me. If backs can be back by the Colorado home-home, that would be awesome. Getting him in that home game would be a nice place for his first game back. I don't know if I would throw him to the wolves of our road game.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I don't think we're riding Harding too hard. He's not starting as much as Varlamov, Halak, Price and on and on. Budaj backs up price only on back to back games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree, we're not riding Harding "too" hard at all right now. We've had good 2-3 day breaks between games lately. It's not at all like it was with Backstrom last season as of yet... with a lot of 1 day breaks between games.

This is about what you hope the pace to be for your Starter IMO.

tomthestone*

"Backstrom taken off IR, Kuemper reassigned, #mnwild announce. Backstrom to back up today at the PEG" -- @Russostrib.

So we got that going for us, which is nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: