Injury Report: Niklas Backstrom (Upper body)

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
This may make me a bad person but at least it was Backstrom and not Harding getting concussed.

Had this same thought last night. I'm angry that Backstrom got hurt but I'd be even angrier if Harding took that hit. Nothing against Backstrom, but Harding is more critical to the team at the moment.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Assuming this is also a thread to discuss the hit, can someone please explain to me what leading with the elbow is? Apparently I don't know...

Jacques Oeuf

Oct 11, 2007
CA
Is that a statement or a question?

The presence of the '?' symbol indicates a question, but I do see how my syntax could have been confusing and/or alarming to any serious grammar sticklers. Apologies.

A while after posting I saw this on twitter:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Backstrom out tomorrow; callup coming. Yeo expects Granlund to be ok and able to play but "not out of clear" of head shot timetable #mnwild

Hopefully Granlund is fine and Yeo is playing it up a bit to put more pressure on Kadri.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Had this same thought last night. I'm angry that Backstrom got hurt but I'd be even angrier if Harding took that hit. Nothing against Backstrom, but Harding is more critical to the team at the moment.

Especially with his MS. The guy doesn't need more issues with his brain so it's a blessing he wasn't in there.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Main board really isn't a place to be. Just reading some of the posts makes me sick. So I stopped reading.

But you can find a ton of irrelevant comarisons, previous incidents, etc. etc. Well, we can always comapare everything to this cold blooded slaughter... it was 2 games btw.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Assuming this is also a thread to discuss the hit, can someone please explain to me what leading with the elbow is? Apparently I don't know...

It is complicated :laugh:

He never missed a shift.

But that doesn't mean anything with concussions. You can look fine one day and have symptoms occur days later. He looked like he was trying to shake off the hit on the bench. We'll have to wait and see.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Grandone looked like he was extremely spaced out sitting on the bench shortly after, so I would be cautious with him for a couple days.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hope Backs is well soon, and doesn't have to deal with serious after effects.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Hoping Backs is back soon as well. He has had nothing but bad luck this season. I thought he looked pretty good before he got injured last night. He's way better than a lot of people on this board make him out to be. He helped us to the playoffs last year and how good he actually is has been overshadowed this year by how good Harding has been. We got a good tandem, we just need to stop getting pushed around and stop letting these *******s injure Backstrom.

Can't wait till Rupp is back, I actually miss him and Konopka on the same line. We need the toughness again, we can't afford to let our good players get pushed around. What if Granlund got injured last night? Teams are going to start to think it is okay to push us around and we have an injury problem. We don't want a similar situation to 2011-12.

aceman80

Sep 13, 2013
Yup. I started to wonder why someone would want the NHL's leading minutes eater in the penalty box and then I looked at the username.

As much as I would've like to have seen Kadri get pounded into the ice, I'm not convinced that us retaliating would've made Kadri and others think twice about taking liberties. I feel like in-game retaliation is a dated philosophy that doesn't translate to the modern day NHL (see the Bertuzzi/Moore incident). The officials need to do their job and prevent the game from turning into a goonfest. The off-ice officials need to do their job by actually setting meaningful consequences for behavior like Kadri's last night.
Well someone should done something.
Maybe Kadri have thought about hitting Granlund in head if he had to fight already etc.
Officials does not protect you,Kadri got 3gm,what if Bäcks is out for season?
This "new" NHL is making me sick,goonfest is better than this continious head-hunting that is going on.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm guessing we would have witnessed a staged Konopka-Orr fight had Konopka's beak not been broken earlier by an elbow. They really outmatched us up and down physically...you'd like to see a token punch or three thrown at the time of either hit (it's Kadri for godsake!!!!) but we don't have the chops to match them in the premeditated fight area.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Hoping Backs is back soon as well. He has had nothing but bad luck this season. I thought he looked pretty good before he got injured last night. He's way better than a lot of people on this board make him out to be. He helped us to the playoffs last year and how good he actually is has been overshadowed this year by how good Harding has been. We got a good tandem, we just need to stop getting pushed around and stop letting these *******s injure Backstrom.

Can't wait till Rupp is back, I actually miss him and Konopka on the same line. We need the toughness again, we can't afford to let our good players get pushed around. What if Granlund got injured last night? Teams are going to start to think it is okay to push us around and we have an injury problem. We don't want a similar situation to 2011-12.

I think that will help a little. But we need more team toughness. Rupp will only play, 3, 4, maybe 5 minutes a night. And Kadri isn't going to fight Rupp. And it's not just fighting. This team needs to finish their checks. I'm tired of watching opposing teams throw their weight around, while our team just waves their sticks at the puck as they skate by. This team is downy soft.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Rupp in the lineup wouldn't have changed one tiny little thing in that game, just as inserting size/toughness didn't change anything vs. the Ducks. We outclassed Toronto in every way--this was about the only gameplan they had that would work. Its still frustrating (to me) and not my preference at all but we're not built to trade blows when teams designed primarily for grit come to smack us around. Would have been nice to see that last minute flurry of physicality happen a little more frequently throughout the game though.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yeo looked like he was trying to set Kadri on fire with his mind after the Granlund hit.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeo looked like he was trying to set Kadri on fire with his mind after the Granlund hit.

LByfwcB.jpg

Mike Yuri

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I hope Backstrom gets well soon but it begs the question, what are we going to do with him? He's signed on for two more years and he's banged up regularly. Concussion, not his fault, but his knee was bothering him earlier in the season and he simply doesn't have the quickness/speed he used to, which is showing. I really don't know what to make of his numbers either.

tomthestone*

I hope Backstrom gets well soon but it begs the question, what are we going to do with him? He's signed on for two more years and he's banged up regularly. Concussion, not his fault, but his knee was bothering him earlier in the season and he simply doesn't have the quickness/speed he used to, which is showing. I really don't know what to make of his numbers either.

Ever read Russo? Highly recommended by informed Wild followers. So I'm told anyway.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
For the record, that knee injury wasn't his fault either. It got smashed up against the goal post early in the season when he got run in another game.

That's when Harding came in and the team never looked back.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
For the record, that knee injury wasn't his fault either. It got smashed up against the goal post early in the season when he got run in another game.

That's when Harding came in and the team never looked back.

Doesn't help that Backstrom didn't look so good in the games he did play in. I wish Harding the best but we can only hope he a) stays healthy and b) continues to perform the way he has been.

Ever read Russo? Highly recommended by informed Wild followers. So I'm told anyway.

I've read Russo. So what?

tomthestone*

You're asking what they're going to do with Backstrom. Russo has said if Backs ends up on IR, the Wild will make a move for a bit player like Jose Theodore or a similar stop-gap. Outside of that, there is pretty much nothing the Wild can do with Backstrom.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're asking what they're going to do with Backstrom. Russo has said if Backs ends up on IR, the Wild will make a move for a bit player like Jose Theodore or a similar stop-gap. Outside of that, there is pretty much nothing the Wild can do with Backstrom.

Not the right term. Temporary backup. A stop-gap implies you need someone to take over the starting job for a short time, not the backup job.

tomthestone*

Not the right term. Temporary backup. A stop-gap implies you need someone to take over the starting job for a short time, not the backup job.

Getting awfully technical there. I know what the term means, and yes you are correct. Should Backstrom go on IR, the Wild would be interested in Jose Theodore or a similar inexpensive, potential NHL-quality backup, according to Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Good thing we got that all cleared up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad