Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yep. The poster called me a liar for referencing a portion of a video I had seen a month before. So I told him/her where to find it and he demanded that I watch it again, link and time stamp it for him/her.

So I think it’s fair

all 31 fanbases have terrible fans

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I mean, I DID say that.

If 1% of every fanbase sucks, and there are 10 million Leaf fans and 1 million Florida fans... you get where I’m going. Toronto fans are no worse than anyone else and all Canadian fanbases are extremely passionate.

Fair enough.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

food for thought

"could have interest". How vague. I suppose they also could not have interest.

"Kapanen + Zaitsev for Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk" is like saying "Faulk for Nylander/Kapanen/Brown". There is a big difference between the value of each of them. For having Don Waddell as a direct source LeBrun couldn't be less helpful.

Sounds like what LeBrun heard from Waddell was "Yeah we might take on Zaitsev and trade Toronto a RHD if they gave us a good enough forward".

Which translated through LeBrun's clickbait TSN-based filter becomes "Probably the Canes best D for Toronto's lowest value chip"

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
LOL, I like how he says "could have interest" and then lumps Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce together like they all have equal value.
I think the only possible deal there would be Faulk for Kap+Zaitsev. The canes dont really need another defender. But they perhaps are really in love with the thought of adding kapanen and are willing to take another defender(who in all honesty could very well bounce back and may be a strong fit in Carolina depending on how they use him and who he is paired up with). I'd say no chance that deal works for Hamilton/Pesce. Maybe the canes do something like kapanen+bracco for Hamilton if they really want kapanen and the leafs can find a seperate deal for Zaitsev.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the only possible deal there would be Faulk for Kap+Zaitsev. The canes dont really need another defender. But they perhaps are really in love with the thought of adding kapanen and are willing to take another defender(who in all honesty could very well bounce back and may be a strong fit in Carolina depending on how they use him and who he is paired up with). I'd say no chance that deal works for Hamilton/Pesce. Maybe the canes do something like kapanen+bracco for Hamilton if they really want kapanen and the leafs can find a seperate deal for Zaitsev.

Or, instead of trading away a top-4 RHD and taking on $23 million worth of bottom-pair RHD, the Canes could just Offer Sheet Kapanen for a 2020 2nd.

If the Canes want Kapanen or AJ they can offer Toronto their 2019 2nd. Cuts out the unpleasantness of an offer sheet and secures the player for Carolina. I don't see any need to take on Zaitsev.

I believe there could possibly be a team dumb and/or desperate enough to take on Zaitsev. But it isn't Carolina. They already have a backlogged defense.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Value wise, I'd agree, but I don't even see how that makes sense.

1) The whole reason the Canes want to move a RHD is that they have 4 of them, so why would they take one back when moving 1?
2) Bonus or not, Canes are a budget team so why would they pay Zaitsev $4.5M for 4 more years after this year to be their 3rd/4th best RHD?
3) Canes are heavily into analytics so Tulsky and the Canes brain trust taking on Zaitsev makes no sense.

That said, we have Waddell as our GM so who knows.

I do think Faulk is the guy that needs to be traded though. He's a UFA in 1 year and if he has another good year (which I expect he will), the Canes won't want to pay him what it will take to keep him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Or, instead of trading away a top-4 RHD and taking on $23 million worth of bottom-pair RHD, the Canes could just Offer Sheet Kapanen for a 2020 2nd.

If the Canes want Kapanen or AJ they can offer Toronto their 2019 2nd. Cuts out the unpleasantness of an offer sheet and secures the player for Carolina. I don't see any need to take on Zaitsev.
Offersheets dont happen very often. The canes will be competing with other teams to get kapanen (doubt the canes are the only team that would be interested in him). If the canes wish to offersheet him then their should be multiple teams who will also be looking at offersheeting him. It isnt as easy as saying canes make an offersheet where they only give up a 2nd and they end up with their guy. The only sure way to ensure he will be a cane next season is through trade. They gets his rights and as a result of all the cap space they have no team will try to offersheet him as canes will simply match any realistic deal. The canes dont have to go after kapanen though. Probably will find cheaper options(in terms of assets) that are a bit older and have less potential but more proven.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Value wise, I'd agree, but I don't even see how that makes sense.

1) The whole reason the Canes want to move a RHD is that they have 4 of them, so why would they take one back when moving 1?
2) Bonus or not, Canes are a budget team so why would they pay Zaitsev $4.5M for 4 more years after this year to be their 3rd/4th best RHD?
3) Canes are heavily into analytics so Tulsky and the Canes brain trust taking on Zaitsev makes no sense.

That said, we have Waddell as our GM so who knows.

I do think Faulk is the guy that needs to be traded though. He's a UFA in 1 year and if he has another good year (which I expect he will), the Canes won't want to pay him what it will take to keep him.

Agree with what your saying for the most part. One reason why it may make sense is if the canes believe that Pesce is better as a LHD moving forward. From what I read about him as the year progressed his offense really improved on the left side. He was more comfortable as a puck carrier and displayed confidence that he did not show as a RHD. In the above trade Faulk would be traded away so the canes could run this defense

Slavin-Zaitsev/Hamilton
Pesce-Hamilton/Zaitsev
De Haan/Bean-TVR

With TVR being a free agent after next year the canes would he able to find space to use Zaitsev on any pair for the last 4 years of his deal. Obviously it would suck to see De Haan on the 3rd pairing while he is being paid a decent amount and is a talented player. Doubtful that Zaitsev ends up a hurricane for the reasons you listed but it could happen if the Canes view Pesce as a LHD moving forward and dont intend to bring back TVR after this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Offersheets dont happen very often. The canes will be competing with other teams to get kapanen (doubt the canes are the only team that would be interested in him). If the canes wish to offersheet him then their should be multiple teams who will also be looking at offersheeting him. It isnt as easy as saying canes make an offersheet where they only give up a 2nd and they end up with their guy. The only sure way to ensure he will be a cane next season is through trade. They gets his rights and as a result of all the cap space they have no team will try to offersheet him as canes will simply match any realistic deal. The canes dont have to go after kapanen though. Probably will find cheaper options(in terms of assets) that are a bit older and have less potential but more proven.

Agree with all this. Not sure what the deal would be though.

I really don't see the Canes offering Pesce or even Hamilton with Kapanen being the main piece coming back. Don't see the Leafs wanting to move Kapanen with Faulk (or TVR) as a key piece coming back. That's the dilemma I see.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Agree with what your saying for the most part. One reason why it may make sense is if the canes believe that Pesce is better as a LHD moving forward. From what I read about him as the year progressed his offense really improved on the left side. He was more comfortable as a puck carrier and displayed confidence that he did not show as a RHD. In the above trade Faulk would be traded away so the canes could run this defense

Slavin-Zaitsev/Hamilton
Pesce-Hamilton/Zaitsev
De Haan/Bean-TVR

With TVR being a free agent after next year the canes would he able to find space to use Zaitsev on any pair for the last 4 years of his deal. Obviously it would suck to see De Haan on the 3rd pairing while he is being paid a decent amount and is a talented player. Doubtful that Zaitsev ends up a hurricane for the reasons you listed but it could happen if the Canes view Pesce as a LHD moving forward and dont intend to bring back TVR after this year.

A couple of things.

I don't think the team sees him better on the LHD side (IIRC, Brindy even alluded to it). It was the same as Slavin playing on his RH side a couple of years ago. He did it very well, but not to the point where they'd want to keep him there. Secondly, TVR may be a UFA after next year, but I think the Canes can still lock him up to a reasonable contract. Thirdly, with Bean (LHD) and Fleury (LHD) in the system and probably NHL ready, they don't need Pesce to play LHD. If they move Faulk, they are left with a very balanced D:

Slavin-Pesce
CDH-Hamilton
Fleury/Bean-TVR

Of course, maybe the see more in Zaitsev than I do. Leafs are my 2nd team and I'd love to move him in a deal like this from a Leafs POV. Wouldn't like it from a Canes POV though.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Agree with all this. Not sure what the deal would be though.

I really don't see the Canes offering Pesce or even Hamilton with Kapanen being the main piece coming back. Don't see the Leafs wanting to move Kapanen with Faulk (or TVR) as a key piece coming back. That's the dilemma I see.
I would move kapanen for a series of futures but not so sure about other leaf fans/managment team. Issue with trading him for picks is we are ot a better team from it. The picks will be 3-4 years from being impact players(if they live up). The benefit is look at Tampa. They got so much depth and talent by accumulating picks and drafting+developing well(yes the bolts have not won with this core but they have come very close several times.

Deals like

1. Bean+36th

2. 28th+36th+37th (1st and 2 2nds)

3. Wallmark+28th+Mckewon

Are interesting for me as a leaf fan and offer lots of future based value.

Even then the value may be too high for the canes to want to pay. The canes are probably of the mindset they only need to pay a 2nd to get Kap. At most they would want to give up another 2nd and get him and would be u happy giving up 3 top 40 picks for him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Offer sheets being accepted doesn't happen often. We have no way to know how many offer sheets are actually offered each year. Cap crunches like Toronto is facing this offseason are rare and generally teams in those positions are forced to make moves. Hence the offering of the Canes 2019 2nd.

In the Canes favor, Kapanen's agent Markus Lehto is the same agent as Teuvo Teravainen (who signed a nice $5.4 million x 5 year deal this season) and Eetu Loustarinen (who just signed). Lehto doesn't have many other high-profile free agents so I'd guess he has been in contact with the Canes more than most. Judging by Teravainen's comments he can speak to Kapanen about player satisfaction and opportunity there. Not much, but not nothing.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A couple of things.

I don't think the team sees him better on the LHD side (IIRC, Brindy even alluded to it). It was the same as Slavin playing on his RH side a couple of years ago. He did it very well, but not to the point where they'd want to keep him there. Secondly, TVR may be a UFA after next year, but I think the Canes can still lock him up to a reasonable contract. Thirdly, with Bean (LHD) and Fleury (LHD) in the system and probably NHL ready, they don't need Pesce to play LHD. If they move Faulk, they are left with a very balanced D:

Slavin-Pesce
CDH-Hamilton
Fleury/Bean-TVR
That's fair. The canes have enough defensive depth(plus top defensive talent) that Zaitsev really isn't a need for them. They would be better off using that potential 4.5 million(aussimg the canes already intended to take on cap for a impact player) on a forward. At the worst they could sign a UFA if no trades can be worked out. For 4-5 million they could add someone like Dzingle who is similar in production to what kapanen gives right now.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
There are enough teams who desperately need rhd

Not to argue your point, because I think you are correct that a lot of teams are looking for RHD help, but there are several players that are rumored to be available that are either better, less expensive, or have a shorter term. I am thinking about players like Hamonic, Brodie (LHD but plays right side), Trouba, Spurgeon, Faulk, Martinez, Demers, Niskanen, Braun, UFA's (not many but a few - Myers, Stralman, Girardi, Karlsson, Polak). So yes there are teams looking, but there are also other options that might not come with the term so could be a more intriguing to a team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would move kapanen for a series of futures but not so sure about other leaf fans/managment team. Issue with trading him for picks is we are ot a better team from it. The picks will be 3-4 years from being impact players(if they live up). The benefit is look at Tampa. They got so much depth and talent by accumulating picks and drafting+developing well(yes the bolts have not won with this core but they have come very close several times.

Deals like

1. Bean+36th

3. Wallmark+28th+Mckewon

Even then the value may be too high for the canes to want to pay. The canes are probably of the mindset they only need to pay a 2nd to get Kap. At most they would want to give up another 2nd and get him and would be u happy giving up 3 top 40 picks for him.

Those prices are nuts. No team should be paying the equivalent of two or three 1sts for Kapenen. Personally I wouldn't want to give up #36 + #37 alone for him, much less add #28.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Those prices are nuts. No team should be paying the equivalent of two or three 1sts for Kapenen. Personally I wouldn't want to give up #36 + #37 alone for him, much less add #28.

And what the odds of a player at #28 developing into a Kapanen-type player?... 30... maybe 40%?... Stop overrating draft picks for sure things.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Those prices are a bit high but the leafs dont want to gift kapanen away. If they cant get a top 4 rhd for him than the next best bet is to go after a series of picks. These type of deals could be made if their is a bidding war for him. If 5-6 teams really like the guy and want to get his rights to ensure they can have him and avoid any offersheet bidding than the price may be higher than expected. If not many offers come in than for sure kapanen will not bring back that many picks.

If the leafs are able to get back a RHD than Kapanen would be traded with no future assets being needed. For example if the leafs and flames had mutual interest a kap for hamonic deal would be better value to the leafs than going after multiple future assets (if hamonic is willing to sign a long term deal). The market for him is unknown at the moment. Teams in cap crunches do lose talented players. However lots of rumors going around that the leafs are working on deals for Zaitsev and Marleau. If the leafs can find a way to dump either of them than Kap(and AJ by extension) will be off the market. If a team wants one of these two the time to acquire them would be within the next few weeks.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Read the link? You don’t have to watch a video... but I have to read a link?

You expected me to know the minute that the clip was posted and what was said exactly. So you should know exactly what was said and what posts leaf fans made right? Not bring up an article.

I at least said that CJ reported. You never said “according to april Reiner”.... you made a blanket statement about what leaf fans said. You acted like you knew for a fact that was what happened.

So you need to post hundreds of specific threats. Right?

I mean I’m sure they happened too. But you have to show them to me. Not make me look myself

Your rules.
Oof how old are you? This is something my nieces and nephews would say

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Deals like

1. Bean+36th

Probably wouldn't do this. Bean has a skillset the Canes lack and even though he's unproven, he's probably a guy they want to hold onto.

I'd probably do this but would want to swap the Canes 2nd for one of the other 2nds. 1st- 28th, 2nd- 36th and 2nd -59th. It's in the ballpark for me though still a bit high.

3. Wallmark+28th+Mckewon

Setting Value aside, Unless the Canes are getting a C somewhere else, they really can't afford to lose Wallmark. Looking at value, I'm not sure the difference between Wallmark and Kapanen is a 1st round pick and McKeown, but that's beside the point.

See bold

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad