Prospect Info: Nikita Zaitsev Discussion

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I always expected a lot from him based on his play in the KHL. Hence, I'm not surprised about his performance. He is exactly what I expected.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Do you think we lock him up long-term this summer? Or give him a 1-year "show us again" move (keeping him a RFA)? How much would he get? 4.5?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hard to compare different positions but who'd people rather have: Zaitsev or Vesey?

D-man always tops forwards when everything else is equal. So Z > Vesey. And Z is shooting right as well, that makes the choice even easier.

But it would have been nice to have both. Vesey would have suited our team and style perfectly.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I always expected a lot from him based on his play in the KHL. Hence, I'm not surprised about his performance. He is exactly what I expected.

Only seen him in last years playoffs, once it was more or less clear he would sign for us in the summer. But yes, he was as good there as he is now.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
D-man always tops forwards when everything else is equal. So Z > Vesey. And Z is shooting right as well, that makes the choice even easier.

But it would have been nice to have both. Vesey would have suited our team and style perfectly.

Agreed. And Z fill a bigger role for us than V would have.
Z vs V sounds like a good sifi movie.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Are you referring to the former Leafs dman Yushkevich? Haven't heard of him in forever. Solid stay-at-home dman.

What a great defenceman. I remember him as fondly as I do Kaberle and McCabe. How great of Yushkevich to recommend Toronto to Zaitsev too.

I don't know how much of Zaitsev's decision to choose Toronto was as a favour to Yushkevich, or how much was based on Yushkevich/Roberts telling him how great Toronto is when the Leafs are winning, but I'm impressed with how Zaitsev was so dead set on choosing us. It seemed like he pledged to come here even when we were a tire fire two summers ago. If he values being a Leaf more than joining a contender, I hope to hell he succeeds here.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What a great defenceman. I remember him as fondly as I do Kaberle and McCabe. How great of Yushkevich to recommend Toronto to Zaitsev too.

I don't know how much of Zaitsev's decision to choose Toronto was as a favour to Yushkevich, or how much was based on Yushkevich/Roberts telling him how great Toronto is when the Leafs are winning, but I'm impressed with how Zaitsev was so dead set on choosing us. It seemed like he pledged to come here even when we were a tire fire two summers ago. If he values being a Leaf more than joining a contender, I hope to hell he succeeds here.

The hit on Jager at about 40 seconds in is classic Yuskevich.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
it probably already is a d list movie. zombies vs Vampires or something

Everyone might be to young here to remember but when you say V, I think of the TV show Visitors where the aliens were really reptiles disguised as humans.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Everyone might be to young here to remember but when you say V, I think of the TV show Visitors where the aliens were really reptiles disguised as humans.

There are a lot of 'old timers' round these parts! Haha
I hated that show!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There are a lot of 'old timers' round these parts! Haha
I hated that show!

I liked the TV miniseries. Then it kind of downgraded when it became a weekly show.
It was also the show that began getting Robert Englund (aka Freddy Krueger) noticed.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I liked the TV miniseries. Then it kind of downgraded when it became a weekly show.
It was also the show that began getting Robert Englund (aka Freddy Krueger) noticed.

I forgot Englund was in that show.
And ya the mini series was ok I guess.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No, he's taken a major step forward this year.

Just wondering what you've seen in him to say he's taken a major step forward? - genuine ask, not contending

5on5, there's been some stat changes for him:
His Pts/60 are way up, so are Gardiners and Zaitsev's - these are probably too high to be an indication of anything other than too small of a sample

His CF% Rel is a positive, which is a turnaround from last year but similar to years before, ditto for the Fenwick equivalent. His minutes were always lower in those years though

I have noticed him look a little scrambly when fighting for pucks in the defensive zone, seems to be flubbing some clearing attempts and giving the puck away at times vs Zaitsev who always looks calm and seems to win those board battles and clear the puck reliably

The offense is there, he's still creating chances

Anyway, just wondering what you see

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just wondering what you've seen in him to say he's taken a major step forward? - genuine ask, not contending

5on5, there's been some stat changes for him:
His Pts/60 are way up, so are Gardiners and Zaitsev's - these are probably too high to be an indication of anything other than too small of a sample

His CF% Rel is a positive, which is a turnaround from last year but similar to years before, ditto for the Fenwick equivalent. His minutes were always lower in those years though

I have noticed him look a little scrambly when fighting for pucks in the defensive zone, seems to be flubbing some clearing attempts and giving the puck away at times vs Zaitsev who always looks calm and seems to win those board battles and clear the puck reliably

The offense is there, he's still creating chances

Anyway, just wondering what you see

I just created a thread explaining his major improvements. I got tired of reading people claiming his step-back this year.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Currently there are only three rookie defensemen who have been regulars all season and have been a big part of their team (21+ minutes per game) and Zaitsev is one of them. He's currently a favourite for the all-rookie team. Werenski has one spot locked up for sure and the other guy is Carlo, who I'd say Zaitsev has an early edge on, but lots can change of course.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Z seems to be developing good chemistry with Mo. They really move the puck around well together in all 3 zones. Crisp tape to tape passes; hitting the other guy when in stride and in safe areas.
Keep it up boys!

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I thought he'd shoot the puck more - doesn't he have a pretty decent slapper?

He's done an admirable job, however I never thought he'd supplant Rielly as our #1 D man coming into this season and to this day.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I thought he'd shoot the puck more - doesn't he have a pretty decent slapper?

He's done an admirable job, however I never thought he'd supplant Rielly as our #1 D man coming into this season and to this day.

Mmmmmmmm he hasent come close to surrplanting Rielly yet..

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He is just so solid all over the ice. Very smart with the puck, always has his head up, reading the play and making the right passes. Good puck handler, very good shot, good skater, a pretty complete package offensively. Also like his quite a lot defensively, smart in his own zone too. Definitely on a similar level to Rielly and Gards in terms of current ability. I think Rielly is our #1 at the moment, and should widen the gap between himself and #2 over time, but Zaitsev should be a rock solid top 4 dman for us for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad