Prospect Info: Nikita Zaitsev Discussion

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I like Zaitsev, but I wish he would stop handling the puck like a grenade at times. He has the ability to make controlled zone exits, but too many times he's like Polak and simply tries to dump the puck out of the zone, which gives back possession to the opposing team.

Seems like hes getting used to how much time he has. By next season I expect a complete puck moving D.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If 5m for 5 years is the ask, I I'd pony up right now without hesitation and be happy he wasn't asking for more. I do NOT want to think about what our D would look like without him and I expect to see him in a Leaf uniform for many years to come.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
His skating is interesting. He's not great on the turn and can get beat, but then again he seems to have a nice burst when he steps up on a puck going forward.

I've been trying to place his skating style, against another NHL player. I can't think of one off the top of my head since the NHL skating style has also become "standardized" across the league.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Huh, never knew that. Roberts is on Leafs Lunch talking about how Zaitsev came and lived with and trained under him for an entire summer a few years ago at the request of Yushkevich. Had a lot of good things to say. Apparently his plan all along was to stay in Russia until 25 and then come to the NHL. Sure sounds like this guy really has his **** together and knows what he's doing.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Gary Roberts is on Leafs Lunch on TSN radio. Great story on how Zaitsev came over to train with Roberts a couple of summers ago. Gary kept him at his house for 2 months and took care of him to reach his goal. It was always Zaitsev's goal to play in the NHL at 25.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
People looking for our future #1 RHD. Well here he is.

could be, the D still needs work though even if he is. The bottom pair has been exposed badly this year, Marincin and Carrick both look over their heads at times

They're easier problems to fix if the top 3 are in place but we should keep looking for upgrades in young players

He's very noticeable. That's not usually a good thing for d men but it is for him. He's been outstanding

Joined the rush a few times last night, hadn't noticed him doing that in the first 9 games, maybe a sign he's getting comfortable?

on the two rushes I really noticed he ended up taking wrist shots, looks like a plus tool for him

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think he's fighting a bit of an uphill battle to get over the $5mil mark because he doesn't have the "pedigree" that the comparable contracts who got that money recently do (Lindholm, Rielly, probably Trouba by then), so I think he'd need to show the offensive side of the game too - 40+pts kind of thing. He's also a little older, so might not be as projectable to improve as those guys are. That being said, if he continues looking like he does now and puts up 30pts playing 23mins a night of reliable minutes, I'd be shocked if he didn't get $4mil and term

He doesn't have their pedigree, but he's also closer to UFA. In fact he's right in his prime in terms on bargaining power - close enough to UFA that the team has to ante up to buy more years, but still young enough that he doesn't have to compromise on AAV to get term. If he doesn't fall off at some point this season, I'd be good with something in the ballpark of 5x5, although I'd like them to work it out so his and Rielly's contracts don't expire the same summer.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I am thrilled to have him in my line-up. All summer long I tried my best to keep my expectations in check, but after watching him for the past 10 games; I feel like we got a real-deal steal.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Gary Roberts is on Leafs Lunch on TSN radio. Great story on how Zaitsev came over to train with Roberts a couple of summers ago. Gary kept him at his house for 2 months and took care of him to reach his goal. It was always Zaitsev's goal to play in the NHL at 25.

Huh, never knew that. Roberts is on Leafs Lunch talking about how Zaitsev came and lived with and trained under him for an entire summer a few years ago at the request of Yushkevich. Had a lot of good things to say. Apparently his plan all along was to stay in Russia until 25 and then come to the NHL. Sure sounds like this guy really has his **** together and knows what he's doing.

For those who missed it: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/how-roberts-molded-zaitsev-for-the-nhl~985744

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
His game still feels so raw, which in his case is good because he is still able to play a steady dependable game. Not trying to over-hype (I don't think I am putting him over Rielly) but I think we have a lot more to see from Zaitsev and I think we could see it as soon as this year.

The fact that he cost us nothing outside of cap / future cap is incredible

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The great thing is, he's still acclimating to the NHL and looks this solid. If we could somehow manage to get him for 5 or under, would be highway robbery.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We should all remember Lou said he saw Z stepping in at a top 4 level for us. Against edm Babs used the Rielly Z pairing to shut mcJesus down and they did.
I feel our future/near future top pairing is here. MO Z

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
This guy has sacrificed & worked extremely hard to get to his dream job,
playing defence for the Maple Leafs.
He deserves some security.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
A year from now we'll be lucky to get 5x5. Lock him up. But by the sounds of it, I don't think will be any problem to keep Nikita he clearly wants to be a Leaf and a great one at that. His play alone would do it for me and potential but his story feels like a homegrown talent with his development path.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Are you referring to the former Leafs dman Yushkevich? Haven't heard of him in forever. Solid stay-at-home dman.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wanna see him start putting up more points. He's getting a lot of PP time and it seems like he's on the verge to do so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad