2. Nylander, William 6,500,000
  3. Marner, Mitchell 6,500,000
  4. Kadri, Nazem $4,500,000
  5. Rielly, Morgan $5,000,000
  6. Zaitsev, Nikita $5,000,000
  7. Gardiner, Jake $4,050,000
  8. Andersen, Frederik $5,000,000
$43,050,000

Still a lot of room to add a few 4-5m players on the back end.

They were great contracts from the moment that they signed, but looking at them in a list like that.....unbelievable. I hope management pulls off more bargains

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Moving forward, depending who we acquire, we can either have Rielly/Zaitsev together or feature them on opposite pairings.
For example Rielly and a partner like Stone/Tanev and a Kulikov/Alzner/Orlov with Zaitsev. Then for the majority of the game you have these 4 on the ice.
Gardiner can then break in Dermott/Nielsen/Carrick on the 3rd.
I don't want to rush Nielsen or Dermott up to the bottom pair just yet. Ideally I'd like to give them the majority of this year in the AHL where their success will only improve their confidence.

What we have is Corrado who needs to get in the lineup or traded/waived. It's getting a little ridiculous keeping him. If Babcock doesn't like/trust him that's fine. Why is he here then?
I don't think we should signing two 4D solutions. Instead keep it to one and have Gardiner as the second-pairing anchor. The bottom pairing, in contrast, ought to consist of EL contracts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They were great contracts from the moment that they signed, but looking at them in a list like that.....unbelievable. I hope management pulls off more bargains

Lamariello is known for staunch negotiations with his players and somehow always getting good deals. Hopefully he instills that in his successor as well - with Hunter pumping talent into the system it could be a huge advantage to have value anchor contracts consistently

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think we should signing two 4D solutions. Instead keep it to one and have Gardiner as the second-pairing anchor. The bottom pairing, in contrast, ought to consist of EL contracts.

I think if the opportunity presents you have to load up the blueline any way you can and then just rotate in the kids on the third pairing and hope they win a job eventually.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I agree

I think locking him up know would mean a better long term contract. Any thoughts how much? Has to be less than Reilly's

4 x $4 mil?

He'll be here long term, can't imagine this is negotiated until the end of the season. Money is likely determined by what he does the rest of the way but I would think 4-5 year term is what we're looking for, maybe 6 to not have his contract and Reilly's coming due at the same time

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
can you guys imagine our D without this guy right now, my gawd...hes been just as big of an addition as our 3 kids

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
can you guys imagine our D without this guy right now, my gawd...hes been just as big of an addition as our 3 kids

Well I think Loov is a guy that can fill a bottom pairing role on this team. When things clear out.

Zaitsev is a very very solid pick-up for Toronto. More please... We need another 2 like him.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Zaitsev is a very very solid pick-up for Toronto. More please... We need another 2 like him.

Didn't know much about him until this season got going. Man are we lucky to have picked this guy up for free! He has been solid so far and I assume will get better as the season goes on. Can't Imagine our D without him.

Reilly - Marincin
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Corrado

Gross.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Not knowing who we're gonna draft what's future gonna look like on defence - our greatest area of need now...

Reilly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - F/A or Trade
Dermott Nielsen
Loov/Marincin

I feel like Middleton is a Babcock style Erickson-like wrecking ball of the future...slow but punishing...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well I think Loov is a guy that can fill a bottom pairing role on this team. When things clear out.

I Think valiev is better than loov, and will be next call up. Loov really plays loose and puts himself out of position a lot due to trying big hits.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I Think valiev is better than loov, and will be next call up. Loov really plays loose and puts himself out of position a lot due to trying big hits.

Loov played a very disciplined style when he was up last year - not trying to do too much - played physcial only when it was within his positional area not running to make the hit. Valiev got exposed with his decision-making last year. To be honest I haven't seen any Marlies games this year.

Been a Loov fan for awhile.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Loov played a very disciplined style when he was up last year - not trying to do too much - played physcial only when it was within his positional area not running to make the hit. Valiev got exposed with his decision-making last year. To be honest I haven't seen any Marlies games this year.

Been a Loov fan for awhile.

and ive only seen a couple. Either way one or both of them are ready for an extended look which should happen after the deadline, then Nielsen finish the year with the marlies and we see what happens next training camp. Love Nielesn, and dermott but the injury will probably push back when he is ready

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

nikita zaitsev sees no reason why he should be intimidated by the national hockey league.

“i’m not 17-years-old so why i should be scared?†the 25-year-old defenceman from moscow said defiantly, citing his extensive khl and international experience.

a strong skater with suave puck skills and good size (six foot two, almost 200 pounds), zaitsev has quickly risen to the leafs top defensive pairing, already taking on almost 22 minutes per-game, third most among nhl rookies. His seven points (all assists) are also tied for third among first-year defencemen.

Leafs coach mike babcock knew he liked zaitsev before the season got going and had an idea of how the rookie might be able to contribute, but wasn’t certain what he’d get from a player used to a foreign league, bigger rink and entirely different world.

“i didn’t know he was going to be a pro like he is,†babcock said.

Specifically, babcock said, zaitsev is “way more competitive than i could have hoped.â€

witness his testy front-of-the-net battles with ryan johansen on tuesday night. Or his hard check of p.k. Subban into the end boards. Or his jawing with filip forsberg. Or a confident drive down the left side of the ice, his backhand attempt on predators goalie marak mazanec requiring a crafty shoulder save.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
He’s way better than I expected coming into the season. He could play himself into a very nice contract, and everything I’ve seen from his play so far would make me happy to give it to him.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Jeez, just struck me what a big hole this guy fills for us, without him we're still looking for half of our top 4 D and both would be RHD openings which are harder to fill. If he weren't here, Carrick and Polak are probably both in the top 4 and Carrick being penciled in as a long term guy there (not that he doesn't have a chance, but we'd be relying on him turning out)

Now we've got at least 1 RHD who can play at least top 4, and big minutes, with a shot at being a real top pairing type defenseman

Finding Zaitsev really isolates our needs going forward, this management group has really hit some home runs and the only warts I can think of are things like letting Seth Griffith go without getting a real look, and not drafting Konencny - pretty circumstantial misses and very substantial hits

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
TGFY.

Thank God for Yushkevich, for leading Zaitsev to us. From one great Russian defenceman to hopefully another. If Zaitsev can one day have an impact for us like Yushkevich did all those years, I'll be happy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
6 years x $4 million, sign it as soon as January 1st hits before he gets more proven. He's proven enough for me already.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we're seriously one more zaitsev away from contending in a couple of years...our forward group has elite potential imo, our goalie is good enough imo...its all about the D moving forward

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Yushki has really helped out his old club here.

Not only did he hone his abilities, but created a bit of Leaf bias as to where to sign, as other teams were wanting him.

Thanks again!

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
Didn't know much about him until this season got going. Man are we lucky to have picked this guy up for free! He has been solid so far and I assume will get better as the season goes on. Can't Imagine our D without him.

Reilly - Marincin
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Corrado

Gross.

Completely agree. Could you imagine how much worse our goal differential and Andersen's stats would be if we didn't have him? Great great pickup. Hope we can find another 1 or 2 more like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad