Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Yeah, it made absolutely no sense that he didn’t sweep them that year.

Gretzky’s first year in LA, so that might account for the media votes, but the NHLPA picking Yzerman over Lemieux is pretty baffling.

Kings also went from one of the worst teams in the league the year before to the 4th best in the league.

The Pearson voting kind've tracks considering they also gave it to a 20 year old Mario in 86, the same year Gretz hit 215.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The Pearson voting kind've tracks considering they also gave it to a 20 year old Mario in 86, the same year Gretz hit 215.
Back then the Pearson has some super weird awards. Mike Liut winning in 81 over Gretzky's 164 points is another odd one, and that was just Gretzky's second year and he won the Ross by 29 points.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
So does the winner of the Ross also win the Hart? I think for McDavid and kucherov atleast it could be argued that they are easily the most valuable players to their team. We saw how horrible Edmonton was without McDavid and Kucherov is willing Tampa to the playoffs this year.
Doubtful. The Hart has been Mack's to lose since basically the All Star Break, and he hasn't done anything as of yet to lose it.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Pro-rated for the full 82 games, McDavid is already on pace for 112 assists. Of course he only has 80 games available as he was out for two, so effectively he's on pace for 109 assists.

At this point McDavid had better stop trying to score goals altogether (save for the occasional lone breakaway) and concentrate on racking up the apples as it makes little difference whether he has 26 or 34 goals (if the point total stays the same). 115 assists, however, would be sort of an immortal number: he'd join a club whose only member is Gretzky. Moreover, some of those extra assists would likely result in Hyman's goals thus making cracking 60 goals that much more a probable proposition.

The three-way cat and mouse race is awesome. Just when one thinks he's pulled himself clear the other two pull themselves back into the mix if not in front.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Both Kuch and Mack have excellent cases for the Hart, McDavid as well.

I down think its fair to say "its ____'s to lose" - any of these three could win and it would be a fair choice.
I agree with that, unfortunately the Hart can be all to often be a narrative driven award, and the narrative this year is that it's MacKinnon's "turn".

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, and he would probably be my choice if I was voting, but the media picks up narratives and runs with them. That happened when McDavid started the year slow and MacKinnon has been able to stay healthy all year, and that's not a knock on MacKinnon, he's just struggled with injuries throughout his career.

Kucherov already has a Hart, there's voter fatigue (which in itself is a ridiculous concept for awards) for McDavid, and MacKinnon has yet to win his. There's zero doubt in my mind that regardless who wins the Ross, MacKinnon is winning the Hart.

Out of the arguably top 5 players in the game, he's the only one without a Hart trophy, he will get his this year.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree with that, unfortunately the Hart can be all to often a narrative driven award, and the narrative this year is that it's MacKinnon's "turn".

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, and he would probably be my choice if I was voting, but the media picks up narratives and runs with them. That happened when McDavid started the year slow and MacKinnon has been able to stay healthy all year, and that's not a knock on MacKinnon, he's just struggled with injuries throughout his career.

Kucherov already has a Hart, there's voter fatigue (which in itself is a ridiculous concept for awards) for McDavid, and MacKinnon has yet to win his. There's zero doubt in my mind that regardless who wins the Ross, MacKinnon is winning the Hart.

Out of the arguably top 5 players in the game, he's the only one without a Hart trophy, he will get his this year.

I agree 100%. MackInnon will probably win it, he does have a fair claim and the media is likely going to want him to win for the reasons you outlined.

(Full disclosure... I placed a futures bet on him winning the Hart before the season :laugh:)

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
"voter fatigue" is the dumbest thing ever. If you get fatigued by voting for the best option, you should not be a voter.

Simply human nature. The bar gets raised higher for the extraordinary compared to lesser players. Sometimes other players get voted for simply because they managed to come close to doing what the greater player already did.

Reflecting on Gretzky, it’s actually pretty remarkable he managed to be voted as the winner eight years in a row.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
"voter fatigue" is the dumbest thing ever. If you get fatigued by voting for the best option, you should not be a voter.
Also may have helped motivate Barry bonds into going into steroid overdrive. After his 3rd mvp he said he couldn’t win another one unless he hit 60 hr because the writers needed a new story.

Spoiler alert - bonds won a bunch more mvps.

So yeah, voter fatigue is stupid. The mvp is who the mvp is, regardless of who it was in other years.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
How I see the voting thinking process

Kuch - He’s carrying the team to the playoffs
Mack - scoring at will and setting record breaking streaks
McD - if he out scores the above two because of how much of a lead he gave them

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
One of many reasons McKinnon deserves the Hart this year regardless...and I think he will get it.
The Art Ross race is so close that I think it will mean nothing for who is winning the Hart this season. I think Mackinnon will win the Hart and it will be deserved. I think an argument can be made for McDavid as well. The Oilers looked like they were knocked the hell out to start the season and he helped pick that team off the mat to become one of the best teams in the league for the past 60 games. Some strong candidates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It is. But sadly, that's reality. It's why LeBron James only has four MVP trophies to his name, and, even more surprising now that I just looked it up, hasn't won one in the last decade.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that the most obvious question is that who is most likely to cause masturbatory hazard while performing well? I'm all in for Kucherov!

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
That's like your opinion, bro. I could say the same about Kuch since the start of the season lol

How is it his to lose?

Between the two, I’d give it to Kucherov myself, but it’s been fairly common knowledge that MacKinnon emerged as the favorite around the halfway point/All-Star break. Sprinkle in voters wanting to right a perceived wrong (2018) for an elite player of his generation with no individual hardware, and it’s easy to see where the vote is headed. I’m not even sure if an injury in his next game would be enough to derail what is in these voters minds.

It will be a little more interesting to see who the players cast their Lindsay vote for.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
He chips away at it a bit more each time. I expected it, but it’s been fun to witness it play out in reality.

For example, over the past two weeks (since 3/14), Kucherov has two 4 point games and a 5 point game, while scoring 16 points in the 6 games he has played, and he’s lost ground.

Meanwhile, MacKinnon is on a current 19 game point streak averaging exactly 2 PPG…and McDavid gained 10 points on him since it started.

It was inevitable.
Just did some quick math and he's apparently had 60 points in his last 26 gp (he's been averaging 2 assists per game during this stretch as well). Also had another stretch of 41 points in 18 games a bit before that. It's honestly mind-boggling.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Between the two, I’d give it to Kucherov myself, but it’s been fairly common knowledge that MacKinnon emerged as the favorite around the halfway point/All-Star break. Sprinkle in voters wanting to right a perceived wrong (2018) for an elite player of his generation with no individual hardware, and it’s easy to see where the vote is headed. I’m not even sure if an injury in his next game would be enough to derail what is in these voters minds.

It will be a little more interesting to see who the players cast their Lindsay vote for.
How has he emerged as the favorite, what has he done to set him apart? Seems the basis for putting him 1st is based entirely off the 2018 thing, seems petty from journalists but I get it. I just don't see an actual legit argument based on play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad