Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What will be interesting to me.

IF McD can get in the lead.. will be be able to keep it?

It started with a massive Kucherov lead and he lost it.

Then it went to Mack and he lost the lead too.

Curious if he can get in lead and stay there? My hunch says yes and inevitable but MacK and Kuch have been unbelievable.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It is impressive how he bridges the gap back to a manageable amount every time Kucherov and MacKinnon go insane though.

He chips away at it a bit more each time. I expected it, but it’s been fun to witness it play out in reality.

For example, over the past two weeks (since 3/14), Kucherov has two 4 point games and a 5 point game, while scoring 16 points in the 6 games he has played, and he’s lost ground.

Meanwhile, MacKinnon is on a current 19 game point streak averaging exactly 2 PPG…and McDavid gained 10 points on him since it started.

It was inevitable.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Last edited:
Reactions: Video Nasty

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What will be interesting to me.

IF McD can get in the lead.. will be be able to keep it?

It started with a massive Kucherov lead and he lost it.

Then it went to Mack and he lost the lead too.

Curious if he can get in lead and stay there? My hunch says yes and inevitable but MacK and Kuch have been unbelievable.

I don't know....but just look at Kucherov. He was leading for a long time....and then early march had a stretch of 5 straight games with 1 points...while MacKinnon had back to back 4 point games at same time.

March 3rd - Kucherov 105 points, MacK 101 points
March 6th - Mack 109 points, Kucherov 105 points

And people were saying it's done, MacK is going to expand his lead and win....and then Kuch had the stretch of 15 points in 4 games...so by March 21st, it had again changed to:

Kucherov 122 points
MacKinnon 117 points

And Mack then had 5 points in 2 games to bridge the gap again.

Morale of the story is - those 3 players are each having an absolutely fantastic season, and I won't dismiss any of them. Even if McDavid takes the lead, or even if one player takes a 5 point lead - I won't believe the race is over until it's over.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
So does the winner of the Ross also win the Hart? I think for McDavid and kucherov atleast it could be argued that they are easily the most valuable players to their team. We saw how horrible Edmonton was without McDavid and Kucherov is willing Tampa to the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So does the winner of the Ross also win the Hart? I think for McDavid and kucherov atleast it could be argued that they are easily the most valuable players to their team. We saw how horrible Edmonton was without McDavid and Kucherov is willing Tampa to the playoffs this year.

In my opinion - if either Kucherov or MacKinnon win the Art Ross, they should 100% also win the hart. It would be kind of crappy for either/or if they pull off the scoring race win, only to subjectively be told "sorry, we're voting the other guy for hart". The point race is what's in their control, they are neck and neck and have been all year, and I'd love to see the Ross winner also be the Hart winner between those 2. Because I honestly can't argue one above the other for Hart as of today since they're so close - so if they're this close, you may as well let the most points decide the winner.

McDavid is....more complicated. Few reasons:

- Higher bar for McDavid. This is due to voter fatigue, and being held to a higher standard. So - I think McDavid needs not only win the Ross, but win by a good amount to also win the hart (maybe ~5+ points)
- Goals vs Assist. We all know McDavid might get 100+ assists which is a historic number....but a higher goal to assist ratio is usually prefered when similar points. Both Kuch and Mack will do ~50 goals, McDavid only ~30 goals. With similar point output, and even ignoring any voter fatigue - Kuch/Mack should be preferred.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If its up to me, and it totally isn't, but if it were, between McDavid and Kucherov whoever lose the Ross should get the Hart, only because I would hate for either to go home empty handed after such an amazing season.

MacKinnon has been nothing short of phenomenal too, but he does have Rantanen playing out of his mind as well, and Makar is still a top 3 D even on his "down" season. So he has more help than the other two and slightly hurt his case for the Hart.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Has this ever happened that the three trophies went to three different players?
1988-89

Lemieux won the Art Ross

Gretzky won the Hart

Yzerman won the Pearson (trophy named Lindsay in 2010)

And 1971-72

Esposito won the Art Ross

Orr won the Hart

Jean Ratelle won the Pearson

There may be more, not 100% sure.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
How did Lemieux not win all three lol? I guess if he had scored 200pts, he would have had them in the bag.
Yeah, it made absolutely no sense that he didn’t sweep them that year.

Gretzky’s first year in LA, so that might account for the media votes, but the NHLPA picking Yzerman over Lemieux is pretty baffling.

Kings also went from one of the worst teams in the league the year before to the 4th best in the league.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He chips away at it a bit more each time. I expected it, but it’s been fun to witness it play out in reality.

For example, over the past two weeks (since 3/14), Kucherov has two 4 point games and a 5 point game, while scoring 16 points in the 6 games he has played, and he’s lost ground.

Meanwhile, MacKinnon is on a current 19 game point streak averaging exactly 2 PPG…and McDavid gained 10 points on him since it started.

It was inevitable.
That is f***ing absurd. McDavid is an alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad