Prospect Info: Nico Daws (#84 pick - 2020 draft)

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
After being a back-up goaltender with the Guelph Storm on their way to the 2019 OHL Championship, goaltender Nico Daws was not taken in the NHL Draft. He came back with something to prove in 2019-20. Daws spent the summer getting in better shape and lost 30 pounds. He took over the starting job with the Storm, playing in 38 games. Daws went 23-8-6 with a 2.48 goals-against-average and .924 save percentage. He led the league in save percentage. Daws also played half a game for Team OHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series. In 31 minutes, Daws stopped all 13 shots he faced and led the OHL to the win. Daws translated that success into a spot with Team Canada at the World Juniors. He played two games and helped Canada to the gold medal, playing a backup role to St. Louis Blues prospect Joel Hofer.

In 2018-19, Daws played 20 games for the Storm. He put up a 10-5-2 record with a 3.25 goals-against-average and .893 save percentage. In 2017-18, Daws played 14 games with a 1-7-1 record, a 4.06 goals-against-average and .880 save percentage.

Daws was born in Munich, Germany but came to Canada at a young age, playing his minor hockey in Burlington, Ontario.

Nico Daws Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #54 - Last Word on Hockey

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
huge pick for us!! cant believe he fell to the third, hes very poised for his age and plays a big league game

as a contract Blackwood was very athletic and played a more stylistic game, so in theory Daws is a safer option than MacKenzie was when we took him

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Draft Profiles 2k20: Nico Daws is a huge goalie with lots of promise
  • If you are bad and in the top 30 and need a goalie badly, Draft Askarov. He’s great.
  • If you can’t get Askarov, draft Daws.
  • [ . . . ]

"Daws is a very structured, hard to beat goalie who tracks the puck very well, with strong positioning, crazy athleticism, and a rock solid glove designed to catch rising wrist and snap shots with minimal effort. His impressive frame also comes to his advantage since he can pretty easily stay aggressive in his net and stop backdoor opportunities simply by having long legs and good reactions, and can stuff 2-on-1’s with an iron will."

#1 NA Goalie according to CSS

I like it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is another reason why I wasn't keen on using a top ten pick or trading up in the first for a goalie. You can find intriguing guys like this in the middle rounds every year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This is another reason why I wasn't keen on using a top ten pick or trading up in the first for a goalie. You can find intriguing guys like this in the middle rounds every year.

I don't know goalies that well, but this seems like an unusually good value for a late 3rd. An excellent alternative to trying to move up or back to take Askarov.

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Love this pick. I was hoping Daws would be available at our pick in the 3rd round and very happy Devils made the selection.

I dont rate Senn so we need better goaltending prospect depth. I think Daws has a NHL future.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This was a quality pick, if there is an AHL season he should start there. OHL goaltender of the year, nothing left to prove at that level.

He's only had the one great OHL season, though, and he's probably preparing to play another OHL season. I'd rather just leave him there, especially since Canada seems to have a better handle on the virus at present.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3