Niclas Bäckström

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
johnny_rudeboy said:
For a guy like Bäckström??? What does that mean?

It means that while he is a good prospect, he's not as good as certain other guys in the draft (such as the names I mentioned).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Ok, thanks. He is still very if not extremly good but I have not seen the others more then a few clips on the internet so I can honestly not compare them.

X-SHARKIE

I'm watching a lot of tape lately and I'm honestly having a difficult time choosing Kessel over Backstrom.

I like to see which prospects compare to an NHLer and see how they turned out.

Kessel reminds me a lot of Kariya where as Backstrom can hurt a team so many ways and his maturity reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson.

If i'm picking 2nd and Johnson is gone, I may take Backstrom.

SChan*

Rabid Ranger said:
It means that while he is a good prospect, he's not as good as certain other guys in the draft (such as the names I mentioned).

umm this guy backstrom won the scoring on his team, for a rookie in SEL that is quite remarkable. He even played better than most NHLs did in SEL last season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SectionX said:
umm this guy backstrom won the scoring on his team, for a rookie in SEL that is quite remarkable. He even played better than most NHLs did in SEL last season.

Good for him. Like I said, he's a good prospect but I like others better. We'll see how things unfold on draft day.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
X-Sharkie

Do you see Backstrom's game as being suitable for the wing at all? From what i've seen of him, i think it could.... but i haven't seen enough of him to make an accurate judgement. I ask because i have him slated in behind EJ and kessel, but would have no problem if the Pens took him at #2 (assuming we move ahead of St. Louis, or lose the lotto).

1datsyuk3*

<------ As you can tell I would love for Detroit to make a serious move for him but I dont think they have the bait...

X-SHARKIE

#1GuinFan said:
X-Sharkie

Do you see Backstrom's game as being suitable for the wing at all? From what i've seen of him, i think it could.... but i haven't seen enough of him to make an accurate judgement. I ask because i have him slated in behind EJ and kessel, but would have no problem if the Pens took him at #2 (assuming we move ahead of St. Louis, or lose the lotto).

He's smart enough to play wing, plus I think his speed is being underated here and he could handle it definitley. He is incredibally savvy with or without the puck, he protects it well and can slither through traffic all the while with his head up. He seems to glide effortlessly around the ice giving the impression he isn't skating fast when truth be told he's going right by guys. He attacks the net hard from the wall, something he could do more if he played wing.

He is a natural center, capable of being that #1 guy, however he appears to be versitale enough to play wing.

turnbuckle*

helicecopter said:

You have to remember that Rabid Ranger usually considers American players to be far superior to other nations' trash. ;)

A draft-eligible player competing on a world championship team is indeed something scouts won't ignore - he's a very real candidate to be a top two pick, as is Staal. This is one of those drafts where there is little consensus at the top end, and one gets the feeling there may be some wheeling and dealing as teams look to fill needs.

Here's how I think the top five may unfold:

Johnson first, Staal second, Backstrom third, Kessel fourth, Toews fifth.

Mind you Kessel might just as easily go second, Toews third and Staal fifth.

A real crapshoot.

Wovenhand76

Mar 3, 2006
Sweden
monster_bertuzzi said:
No, but I watched him live at the WJC. Good, yes - but not 1st overall good.

Well, nevermind. I won't start a pointless argument about Bäckström vs. Kessel vs. Johnson vs Staal etc etc etc. You managed to make me just a little bit angry earlier with all those big laughs. But you're of course entitled to your opinion, and I must learn to calm down ;) However, you shouldn't be too shocked if Bäckström becomes the number one pick. His play in the World C. proved that he's already good enough to play on a first line in the World C. for the winning team.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Wovenhand76 said:
Well, nevermind. I won't start a pointless argument about Bäckström vs. Kessel vs. Johnson vs Staal etc etc etc. You managed to make me just a little bit angry earlier with all those big laughs. But you're of course entitled to your opinion, and I must learn to calm down ;) However, you shouldn't be too shocked if Bäckström becomes the number one pick. His play in the World C. proved that he's already good enough to play on a first line in the World C. for the winning team.

I thought he played good in the WCH, but if you look at the scoresheet since that line started playing togheter, it isn't very impressive. His play solifies that he is a solid prospect, but for him to become the nr.1 pick based on that is quite unlikely, imo.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
It's impressive to be on the team at all. His stats are also comparable to those of Mats Sundin the year after he was drafted as number one. Bäckström wont be a superstar but the same goes for the other players in this years draft.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Fredrik said:
It's impressive to be on the team at all. His stats are also comparable to those of Mats Sundin the year after he was drafted as number one. Bäckström wont be a superstar but the same goes for the other players in this years draft.

It depends on what you mean with a superstar. I think he's got the potential to become one of swedens best players for years to come.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
This is Bäckström's schedule at the draft (he was in an interview with a Swedish newspaper just before leaving Sweden)

Thursday (team interviews)
09.00: Toronto
11.00: LA Kings
12.30: Florida
13.30: Atlanta
14.30: Washington
15.30: Pittsburgh
17.00: Chicago

Friday
09.00: Media gathering
13.00: NY Islanders
14.15: Minnesota
15.30: Columbus
17.00: Vancouver
18.00: Boston

... so those teams have requested to interview Bäckström. No St. Louis, which perhaps is not too surprising.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks Predatore. I remain hopeful the Pens will surprise some and get the best forward in the draft (IMO), but I guess it's standard issue for top prospects to interview with top teams, although St Louis is a notable exception. That's interesting, because I read St Louis still doesn't know who they are picking. The Pens have supposedly decided already on who they will pick.

Nice avatar BTW. Kallstrom is absolute gold as the captain of my Winning Eleven team. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad