Niclas Bäckström

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Krm500 said:
I agree, he has Forsberg's vision and passing game. Though he lacks the physical game and he doesn't go to the net as often imo.
No, thats not true either. Actually Bäckströms physical aspect of the game is really good. Tough and NHL-experienced defenseman Josef Boumidienne said he was the best player he had the met during the season (after a game he said this - where he had tried to hit Bäckström - who stood up and came back and had a great hit on Josef). But perhaps is physical game isn´t up to par with Forsbergs - but then again comparing Bäckis to Foppa is not fair.

What Bäckström needs to improve the most is his skating.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
An Ape called Yoko said:
No, thats not true either. Actually Bäckströms physical aspect of the game is really good. Tough and NHL-experienced defenseman Josef Boumidienne said he was the best player he had the met during the season (after a game he said this - where he had tried to hit Bäckström - who stood up and came back and had a great hit on Josef). But perhaps is physical game isn´t up to par with Forsbergs - but then again comparing Bäckis to Foppa is not fair.

Comparing Bäckström to Forsberg isn't fair no. And I didn't mean that his physical game is bad compared to other players his age.

I was comparing Bäckström to Forsberg when he was in Bäckström's age.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
asab said:
I seem to recall Robert Nilsson being compared to Forsberg too.

That´s my point. It is just silly to compare young upcoming Swedish kids with probably the best player who ever come from Sweden. There will be no one like Forsberg since he is one of a kind.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
asab said:
I seem to recall Robert Nilsson being compared to Forsberg too.

That would be for talent level, not playing style. Robert Nilsson is/was considered very talented but there are question marks about his work ethics.

Bäckström himself says Zetterberg is his role model.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
johnny_rudeboy said:
Who is the second highest ranked Swede in this draft?

I'd say Patrik Berglund from Västerås. Skating needs a bit of work, but very promising player IMO.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
johnny_rudeboy said:
What kind of player is Lagerstöm? I have not seen him play.
Very steady twoway-forward. Good size.. he can skate, hit and pass the puck. Has pretty ok technical skills as well.

IMO a bit overrated. I don´t see him producing a lot as a senior, he´ll most likely will be a great twoway-guy.

I really like Robin Figren.. really quick.. great skater.. shoots right.. great technical skills.. not soft.. great hockeysense.. fast shot. Only 5'11" though, but i would pick him ahead of Lagerström.

But I agree with Predatore - Patrik Berglund should be the second swede to be picked.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
An Ape called Yoko said:

I thought his skating was poor during 04/05 so I was a bit surprised not to read more about this during this season. Of course he has improved in every area but I also feel his skating is his weak point.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Fredrik said:
I thought his skating was poor during 04/05 so I was a bit surprised not to read more about this during this season. Of course he has improved in every area but I also feel his skating is his weak point.
Sorry.. i thought you meant Lagerström.... duh..delete this!

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Nicklas Bäckström has made it to Sweden's World Championship camp. 8 of the players that played in the game vs Norway made it to the camp and he was one of them.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Teus said:
Nicklas Bäckström has made it to Sweden's World Championship camp. 8 of the players that played in the game vs Norway made it to the camp and he was one of them.

Well isnt that just typical Swedes to be great play makers, good leaders and being good 2 way players both as defenders or forwards but lack in the skating and shoting department. Atleast they seem to learn this skills with time but I would like to see some more speedy ones coming though the clubs youth systems. Thank god for Alfredsson ehe? :)

Btw, just looked Partik Berglund up on eliteprospects and he is already playing for the A-team. Pretty good for a 17 year old.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Teus said:

I hope he will get make it even if it is as a 4th liner. To bad for him the competition for center places is so strong.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
johnny_rudeboy said:
Well isnt that just typical Swedes to be great play makers, good leaders and being good 2 way players both as defenders or forwards but lack in the skating and shoting department. Atleast they seem to learn this skills with time but I would like to see some more speedy ones coming though the clubs youth systems. Thank god for Alfredsson ehe? :)

Btw, just looked Partik Berglund up on eliteprospects and he is already playing for the A-team. Pretty good for a 17 year old.

So very true, does anyone have an idea why we produce so many centers of quality but so few speedy wingers? Does the coaches stress players to think defensivly first during their younger years? Want the guys that stand-out offensivly to take more responsability, maybe making them think more about learning positioning more than just driving quickly to the net?

I WANT SOME FREAKING SPEED IN TEAM SWEDEN! We must be one of the slowest teams ever.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Niclas Andersén could go early in the draft if he have a good U18 WC. Already played some in the SEL as a 17 year old and my mate at work who are from Grums where also Andersén comes from have been raving about him for several years know.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
And yes, we want more speed from team Sweden. When a 35 year old Indian is among if not the fastest player in the SEL something is wrong?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Prussian_Blue said:
I honestly don't think so.

I think Backstrom's a good bet to be the Blues' pick because of Jarmo Kekalainen's extensive European contacts. I also think they'd go with Staal or Mueller before Kessel, because they don't really have a big center in the system other than Carl Soderberg, and he's likely to end up being moved to the wing if he comes over.

If the Blues end up with the fifth pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they went "off the board" and took Jiri Tlusty, again based on Kekalainen's history of drafting skilled Euros. That's assuming, of course, that Backstrom's gone by then. I'm mildly interested in Frolik, but I've heard that Tlusty's all-around game is just a little better than Frolik's.

P_B

:bow: :blues

I know you don't like Kessel, but I think your opinion of him is coloring your expectations for what the Blues will do on draft day. If the Blues were drafting where they normally do I could see them going off the board (like they did last year with Oshie) but with a likely top three selection I just don't see it.

Last edited:

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Rabid Ranger said:
I know you don't like Kessel, but I think your opinion of him is coloring your expectations for what the Blues will do on draft day. If the Blues were drafting where they normally do I could see going off the board (like they did last year with Oshie) but with a likely top three selection I just don't see it.

Agreed. I don't know why people hate Kessel so much. By most accounts he's had an off year, and yet he STILL outproduced Toews(statistically). I'd hate to see what Kessel could do when he has a good year. I would take Phil 2nd overall in a heartbeat.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SneakerPimp82 said:
Agreed. I don't know why people hate Kessel so much. By most accounts he's had an off year, and yet he STILL outproduced Toews(statistically). I'd hate to see what Kessel could do when he has a good year. I would take Phil 2nd overall in a heartbeat.

This isn't just a Kessel issue with me. I just can't see the Blues bypassing guys like Johnson, Staal, Toews, or even Mueller for a guy like Backstrom.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Rabid Ranger said:
This isn't just a Kessel issue with me. I just can't see the Blues bypassing guys like Johnson, Staal, Toews, or even Mueller for a guy like Backstrom.

For a guy like Bäckström??? What does that mean?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->