Niclas Bäckström

Wovenhand76

Mar 3, 2006
Sweden
Some of you have suggested that the Blues or Pens or whoever wins the lottery should pick Bäckström with their number one pick. Just wanted all of you to know that he made his debut for the Swedish national team (no players from the top four teams were in the squad since they're in the playoffs) against Norway. Sweden won with 5-1 and Bäckström had one assist.

Bäckström was also chosen as rookie of the year in the Swedish Elit League.

Once again, I don't know anything about Kessel, Johnson, Staal (haven't seen them play :) ) .... but they need to pretty d-n good to be better than Bäckström. His maturity is just absolutely amazing considering his age.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan most likely picking 7th, i hope he falls to us. Personally i rather have him then Staal, but that just my opinion(i put him 4th on my list).

MY guess though is he gets picked top 5.

Lucifer_Devils

Mar 8, 2006
Wovenhand76 said:
Once again, I don't know anything about Kessel, Johnson, Staal (haven't seen them play :) ) .... but they need to pretty d-n good to be better than Bäckström. His maturity is just absolutely amazing considering his age.

Let's say he reaches is full potential, who will he be like ?

Could he turn like a Zigmund Palffy, Pavol Demitra, Daniel Alfredsson as a offensive force nights in and nights out or an effective player in the Jere Lehtinen, Tomas Holmstrom mold but not the guy the opponents need to build a game plan against ?

X-SHARKIE

Lucifer_Devils said:
Let's say he reaches is full potential, who will he be like ?

Could he turn like a Zigmund Palffy, Pavol Demitra, Daniel Alfredsson as a offensive force nights in and nights out or an effective player in the Jere Lehtinen, Tomas Holmstrom mold but not the guy the opponents need to build a game plan against ?

It might be the nationality thing but his vison of the ice and overal ability at times reminds me of Alfredsoon. Not to hype him and say he's the next one, but he has shades of him in his game.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Henrik Zetterberg definately.

The jury behind the swedish rookie award made comparisons with Peter Forsberg, I wouldn´t go that far though.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
the important question for us poolies
is whether he has better long-term point potential
than Staal, Toews, etc.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
pei fan said:
Doug MacLean doesn't care for him,good enough for me.

Is this the same Doug MacLean whom every other Jacket's fan has been calling for his head? If so, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in his evaluation of talent. If anything this might be a ringing endorsement for the Jackets to choose Backstrom. ;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Jackmans Domain said:
Is this the same Doug MacLean whom every other Jacket's fan has been calling for his head? If so, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in his evaluation of talent. If anything this might be a ringing endorsement for the Jackets to choose Backstrom. ;)
I thought that was the implication?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Zetterberg kind of player. Not great at any end but very good in both.
He is still very young and who knows what style his game will have later on. Wasnt Forsberg more reckless at his age? Bäckström/Backstrom/Brookstream :dunno:
seem so mature something Zetterberg also was along with the 2 way game.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
IceBreaker said:
the important question for us poolies
is whether he has better long-term point potential
than Staal, Toews, etc.

More than Staal, probably not.

More than Toews, based on what I've seen of Toews in the NCAA tourney, definitely. I wasn't impressed with Toews at all in North Dakota's loss to BC. I was looking at that game as a chance to see if the Blues could possibly draft a one-two punch from North Dakota, with Toews and Oshie, but I wouldn't spend my top five pick on Toews at this point. I realize it's only one game, but that's my take...

P_B

:bow: :blues

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Prussian_Blue said:
More than Staal, probably not.

More than Toews, based on what I've seen of Toews in the NCAA tourney, definitely. I wasn't impressed with Toews at all in North Dakota's loss to BC. I was looking at that game as a chance to see if the Blues could possibly draft a one-two punch from North Dakota, with Toews and Oshie, but I wouldn't spend my top five pick on Toews at this point. I realize it's only one game, but that's my take...

P_B

I bet blues management does in fact draft toews though...

Transported Upstater

Backstrom is in my Top 5. boredmale, I know you hope he falls to the Isles, but I don't see it happening.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
Backstrom is in my Top 5. boredmale, I know you hope he falls to the Isles, but I don't see it happening.
It's possible though. I mean, Backstrom's likely won't go ahead of EJ, Toews, Kessel or Staal, so that puts him at 5. All you need is one of the two teams to go off the board a little (according to rumor, Columbus is eyeing Brassard and maybe they don't think it's safe to trade down to get him) which happens every year, and the other team to prefer the playmaking PF in the making in Mueller (Boston did just trade away Joe Thornton). Then voila, Backstrom's available at 7th.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Like i said i put him #4 on my wishlist. I don't see him dropping past 6 myself. Who knows Boston can overtake us and we can somehow end up with Staal(#5) or Backstrom

Transported Upstater

boredmale said:
Like i said i put him #4 on my wishlist. I don't see him dropping past 6 myself. Who knows Boston can overtake us and we can somehow end up with Staal(#5) or Backstrom

I see some team gambling on Staal in the top 3. But who knows, I've questioned many a draft pick that ended up working out better than my imagination said it would...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinordi24*

Caps have already scouted Backstrom and seem to be high on him as they came away very impressed. They need a center and bets are they take him at #4 if Staal is not available.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Eb0la11 said:
I bet blues management does in fact draft toews though...

I honestly don't think so.

I think Backstrom's a good bet to be the Blues' pick because of Jarmo Kekalainen's extensive European contacts. I also think they'd go with Staal or Mueller before Kessel, because they don't really have a big center in the system other than Carl Soderberg, and he's likely to end up being moved to the wing if he comes over.

If the Blues end up with the fifth pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they went "off the board" and took Jiri Tlusty, again based on Kekalainen's history of drafting skilled Euros. That's assuming, of course, that Backstrom's gone by then. I'm mildly interested in Frolik, but I've heard that Tlusty's all-around game is just a little better than Frolik's.

P_B

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I include him in the group of 4 forwards that comprise the 2-5 range in the upcoming draft after E.Johnson. It seems like there is no definite placement for any of these guys, but at this moment the most popular ranking seems to be:

2.Kessel
3.Staal
4.Toews
5.Backstrom

It'll be an interesting story to watch at draft time who falls and who unexpected rises into that top 5.

Transported Upstater

Captain Conservative said:
I include him in the group of 4 forwards that comprise the 2-5 range in the upcoming draft after E.Johnson. It seems like there is no definite placement for any of these guys, but at this moment the most popular ranking seems to be:

2.Kessel
3.Staal
4.Toews
5.Backstrom

It'll be an interesting story to watch at draft time who falls and who unexpected rises into that top 5.

Agreed. I think whoever takes Staal needs to be very patient with him though; he has a LONG way to go yet.

Backstrom is a VERY solid player, and he plays at both ends.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Agreed. I think whoever takes Staal needs to be very patient with him though; he has a LONG way to go yet.

Backstrom is a VERY solid player, and he plays at both ends.

The list I posted doesn't reflect my personal taste. If we end up drafting where we are in the standings right now(4th from bottom), i'd prefer Backstrom if none of Kessel, Johnson or Staal is available.

The thing that needs to be remembered about Staal is that he is pretty much the baby of this draft. His stats should be compared with his brother Erics 2001-2002 OHL stats, not the 2002-2003, because he will be almost a full year younger on draft day than his brother eric was. Also he is a full inch and a half taller right now than his brother. A bigger frame means more development time.

Basically, if Washington drafts Jordan Staal, i'll be doing backflips.

Lets go Blackhawks!!!!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Prussian_Blue said:
I honestly don't think so.

I think Backstrom's a good bet to be the Blues' pick because of Jarmo Kekalainen's extensive European contacts. I also think they'd go with Staal or Mueller before Kessel, because they don't really have a big center in the system other than Carl Soderberg, and he's likely to end up being moved to the wing if he comes over.

If the Blues end up with the fifth pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they went "off the board" and took Jiri Tlusty, again based on Kekalainen's history of drafting skilled Euros. That's assuming, of course, that Backstrom's gone by then. I'm mildly interested in Frolik, but I've heard that Tlusty's all-around game is just a little better than Frolik's.

P_B

Perhaps you're considering the Blues trading down....because there is no way that they're going to be drafting any lower than 3rd. At this point they're a lock to finish with at worst the 2nd pick (barring a lottery leapfrog). I'm convinced they'd draft Erik Johnson given the opportunity....and would probably take Kessell if Johnson is gone. I agree that Staal and Backstrom are more attractive than Toews at this point but barring a trade down I'd expect to see Johnson/Kessell/Staal....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad