Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki : The Nature of Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Swift makes me think of two things...one pop singer or the other, the Suzuki Swift...neither sounds enticing as a nickname, to be honest ;)
Hustler...well, makes me think of a certain, uhh...mag...
And Mighty Boy...well...I just hope that doesn't stick either ;)
1996_Suzuki_EscudoPikesPeak2.jpg

search

What about this Suzuki Swift? The ultimate car in gran turismo. I'd rather a name based off the Samurai or Hayabusa though.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I was expecting more tbh. Should go back to juniors.

He should go back there's no question, however I can't say he didn't do well. He made some smart plays , didn't get too outmuscled for a guy his size/age, definately has some nice offensive talent that you can tell will eventually come into play. I say he should be ready for 9 games next year and full-time by 2020-2021.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Send him back to Finland and ease the rookie centers into the lineup.

19-20 season play Kotkaniemi
20-21 season play Suzuki
21-22 season play Poehling

I am talking about full time roles.

Logic is sound, but I think Poehling is ahead of Suzuki. Bigger frame, good skater, plays with older players already. Suzuki is more gifted offensively, but he’s not ready.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Logic is sound, but I think Poehling is ahead of Suzuki. Bigger frame, good skater, plays with older players already. Suzuki is more gifted offensively, but he’s not ready.

A good measuring stick for Nick is Mitch Marner. His graduation was fairly well regulated. He really needs to own Junior Hockey this year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I saw a lot of good things. His skating is better than advertised. Has excellent vision and hockey sense. The kid is still a year or two away.

Reactions: Rapala

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’d still benefit a lot more playing for Joel Bouchard and against adults in the AHL. I hope he doesn’t stagnate in the OHL, he has nothing left to do there.

Reactions: DAChampion

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
He’d still benefit a lot more playing for Joel Bouchard and against adults in the AHL. I hope he doesn’t stagnate in the OHL, he has nothing left to do there.
It is an unfortunate situation because I agree with you. But rules are rules, and he certainly is not ready for the NHL that much is clear.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

There was much the same sentiment with Mete who was vying for the Big Club last year. The thing is the WJHC has become such a Marquis event that shining at it always brings a jump in value to the player. He needs to experience that I think.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Dominate the OHL is not a problem in my opinion. When you dominate, you have confidence.

You want your prospect to stay confident in their abilities.

When Habs trade for Suzuki Mcphee said Suzuki was 2 years away. I don’t think Mcphee do the trade if Suzuki was NHL ready.

We have seen some flash of his potential. He need to get a bit quicker, a bit stronger but the skills are there.

Lets him dominate in junior. I think his camp was very good. Of course if you were expecting him to be NHL ready, you can be disappointed. But if not, there is a lot to like.

In red vs white: breakway +2vs 1
In pre game #2: assist + solid shot +good positioning
In pre game #5: one (or 2) posts

I can’t wait to see him dominate the O. Hopefully make team canada junior and get back next year ready to compete for a spot.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Dany Dube is pretty certain Suzuki should be a winger.

I’m hoping we’re not going to have another drama situation with Suzuki.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Seems more than smart enough to play center, he's always in the right position, he just happens to need to gain strength and speed.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Dany Dube isn't choosing but who knows. It depends how habs project Poehling, how big they are on Danault and who they draft next year if we get top pick.

It's clear from last draft we have no shortage of center prospects now albeit none(apart from JK) at Suzuki's talent level.

I would hope he's a C but if he ends up as some Marleau type who does wing and C as needed that's fine...IF the Cs in question are better.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Seems more than smart enough to play center, he's always in the right position, he just happens to need to gain strength and speed.

I see him as a future Pierre Mondou or Stephan Lebeau, smart playmaking centremen who make the guys around them better but are best playing behind a 1C.

This coming summer, we only have Plekanec, Benn and Niemi going UFA, everyone else is under contract or control. Suppose we trade Pleks or let him go, here is what we might have for next year:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen
Hudon-Suzuki-Scherbak
Byron-DeLaRose-Armia
subs: Peca, Deslauriers

with Poehling in Laval for one year or in place of Suzuki if he is further ahead

I've also moved one of the smaller forwards, Domi, to get a #2/3D. It could be a different forward if need be.

Could also put Peca in bottom 6 if he is better offensively than one of the big forwards Armia, Scherbak or DLR while still responsible defensively, but I do think we will need some size to compete well, so Hudon might have to stay ahead of Peca to keep his spot

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Not doubt he got potential to be a top 6 player. Just need time. He got great hockey IQ.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Tavares has averaged 34 goals and 76 points in his last four seasons. Is it truly inconceivable that Kotkaniemi could have a similar prime?

What would you consider to be his ceiling? 30 goals and 65 points?

I can easily see Koko get 65-75 points a a season. More importantly, you can see his defensive skill as a top line center. Much like Barkov, Kopitar, Bergeron etc. he can dominate in both zones though he’ll likely never be a pure offensive force.

I think his game is more rounded and I’d place more value on that than having 5-10 more points but not being able to shit down the line you’re facing night in and night out. So even though he probably won’t be elite like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Mathews his potential I’d say is second tier but more rounded than a second tier, more offensive center if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad