Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki : The Nature of Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I hope he plays a couple of more games. It will be intense though with Toronto next week.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Sucks that he got injured, tonight was the perfect game for him. I think the game on monday will be a huge challenge for younger guys.

Reactions: Redux91

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Kotkaniemi is special, he is a legit top-5 pick with good 1C potential within 2-3 years. He doesn't quite have McDavid's speed nor Matthews' strength and shot, but he is what we hoped to have in drafting Galchenyuk., someone REALLY good. He has the potential to be better than Tavares, for example. Like I said earlier, he reminds me of Bobby Smith at say 19 and yet he is only 18. Smith was NHL dominant by age 21 and I hope for the same from KK.

Suzuki is perhaps a Pierre Mondou or Stephan Lebeau, skilled RH C's without top end speed. Has the potential to be a good middle-6 center and make players around him better.

I believe you seriously under-value Tavares, he is head and showlder above what Bobby Smith was. But that is a different topic and for Suzuki I think its a bit early. We had a better sample size of Kotka that we did for Suzuki and yes Kotka looked very good and better with every outing. What I do like about both is that they are both great playmakers (something we did not have with Galchenyuk). They make people arround them better. When was the last playmaking center we had not name Desharnais on this team? Koivu (I would not qualify him as a pure playmaker .. ). Not sure ... but it's been a while.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I believe you seriously under-value Tavares, he is head and showlder above what Bobby Smith was. But that is a different topic and for Suzuki I think its a bit early. We had a better sample size of Kotka that we did for Suzuki and yes Kotka looked very good and better with every outing. What I do like about both is that they are both great playmakers (something we did not have with Galchenyuk). They make people arround them better. When was the last playmaking center we had not name Desharnais on this team? Koivu (I would not qualify him as a pure playmaker .. ). Not sure ... but it's been a while.

Lol you just implied that Desharnais had better playmaking ability than both of Galchenyuk and Koivu.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Lol you just implied that Desharnais had better playmaking ability than both of Galchenyuk and Koivu.

Desharnais was a lot better playmaker than Galchenyuk. I mean Galchenyuk is not able to make a pass with his back hand longer than 10 feet.

He is always using his strong side to make his plays and for a center...it's awful. We can laught all we want about Desharnais but ask max67 with who he wanted to play except radulov.......his answer is not Galchenyuk..

Reactions: ginomini

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Desharnais was a lot better playmaker than Galchenyuk. I mean Galchenyuk is not able to make a pass with his back hand longer than 10 feet.

He is always using his strong side to make his plays and for a center...it's awful. We can laught all we want about Desharnais but ask max67 with who he wanted to play except radulov.......his answer is not Galchenyuk..
Probably does't help that Chucky also liked to shoot the puck and DD only had eyes for Maxy

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
We are not talking about shooting but playmaking. Put Galchenyuk with max all you want and tell him to not shoot and just have eyes for max and it will be awful.

To be a good playmaker you just don't need a good vision but you have to know exactly when to make the pass before max get cover at the zone entrance..35 feet from the net.

Galchenyuk and Eller dont have that quality. Desharnais had only one and it was that.

Reactions: HankyZetts

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
At this point, I believe Suzuki is a worthy mid-first round pick. I think he will be ready to crack the squad in two years time, maybe three, and top out as a 2C.

Kotkaniemi is special, he is a legit top-5 pick with good 1C potential within 2-3 years. He doesn't quite have McDavid's speed nor Matthews' strength and shot, but he is what we hoped to have in drafting Galchenyuk., someone REALLY good. He has the potential to be better than Tavares, for example. Like OldCraig71 said earlier, he reminds me of Bobby Smith at say 19 and yet he is only 18. Smith was NHL dominant by age 21 and I hope for the same from KK.

Suzuki is perhaps a Pierre Mondou or Stephan Lebeau, skilled RH C's without top end speed. Has the potential to be a good middle-6 center and make players around him better.

But yes, I do know that potential and hope are just a start. Now the kids needs to translate their potential into results and avoid bad luck/injuries as well.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
erm.... whaaaaaaaat?

taveres got exceptional status in order to be drafted in the ohl at 14 years old. broke the ohl goal scored at the time (210 or something ridiculous like that iirc) and they tried to change the rules to have him drafted - and that's just off the top of my head

a bit preposterous to say that kotka has more portential that a guy who was considered a franchise player if not generational at 14 frickin' years old

I didn't say that KK has the potential to be better than Tavares was at 15, in a body that was very mature for his age. I said he had the POTENTIAL to be better than Tavares has ACTUALLY been in the NHL, and this for two reasons: he is a better skater, and has better defensive instincts at a young age.

I also didn't say that Bobby Smith was better than Tavares. I said that Kotkaniemi at 18 is where Smith was at 19, implying he MIGHT turn out even better than Smith.

But yes, this is only potential; I'm not saying this is a likely result. Even McDavid, as great as he has looked so far, is not guaranteed to be another Crosby, nor Matthews another Malkin. The game's greats had to prove themselves over a decade or more!

I was evaluating potential; no one would say that Poehling has the potential to be as good as Tavares, or even Smith. KK has significantly better potential than Poehling. That's the framework I'm speaking within.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Koivu made people around him better, those very people said so over and over again. And Koivu best seasons were like 20-50-70 type of seasons, how is that not primarily a playmaker?

Reactions: jaffy27

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Myth.

In reality, every center who has played with Pacioretty has produced. That includes Plekanec, Gomez, Galchenyuk. Even Eller produced well with him - when they played a couple games together on the penalty kill .

However, Desharnais didn't produce a lot more with Pacioretty. He got something like ~30-35 assists a year, which is what Galchenyuk gets without Pacioretty.

Though Desharnais can see pass well in some circumstances, he needs those circumstances. The entire team has to be structured around his needs. Without that he craters to being a replacement--level player as we saw on his last year here .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Myth.

In reality, every center who has played with Pacioretty has produced. That includes Plekanec, Gomez, Galchenyuk. Even Eller produced well with him - when they played a couple games together on the penalty kill .
Indeed. Max has been very, very good for us. I hope we don't regret trading him, but if Tatar can score 20+ for a few seasons and Suzuki become a 2C, I'll be content.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I didn't say that KK has the potential to be better than Tavares was at 15, in a body that was very mature for his age. I said he had the POTENTIAL to be better than Tavares has ACTUALLY been in the NHL, and this for two reasons: he is a better skater, and has better defensive instincts at a young age.

I also didn't say that Bobby Smith was better than Tavares. I said that Kotkaniemi at 18 is where Smith was at 19, implying he MIGHT turn out even better than Smith.

But yes, this is only potential; I'm not saying this is a likely result. Even McDavid, as great as he has looked so far, is not guaranteed to be another Crosby, nor Matthews another Malkin. The game's greats had to prove themselves over a decade or more!

I was evaluating potential; no one would say that Poehling has the potential to be as good as Tavares, or even Smith. KK has significantly better potential than Poehling. That's the framework I'm speaking within.

You are off your rockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad