Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 11

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hmm I didn't realize he had a more productive season than 02/03. Still think 02/03 was more impressive though.
The Koivu of 2002-2003 did not havbe Kovalev to take up some attention, and the league scoring was lower than 2006-2007 post lockout - 2.65 goals per team per game in 2002-2003 versus 2.88 in 2006-2007.

Also, Saku's 2006-2007 season was a lot weaker defensively. He had slowed a step from his mid- to late-20s and had to cheat up the ice somewhat to be as productive as he was. The nights he and Ryder played a tighter game, their scoring dipped. But there weren't many of those. They missed the playoffs. :( I don't think they would have missed had the 2002-2003 version of Koivu been on the ice in 2006-2007.

By the following season 2007-2008, 25 year old Tomas Plekanec was clearly the better player.

Last edited:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It’s hard to compare Suzuki to Kovalev, as Kovy was never part of a rebuilding team here.

This is a talent-poor team! If only Suzuki had an aging Koivu or a young Plex with him, story could be very different.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
.... and despite lack of a strong second line to protect him and his linemates.

This cannot be ignored. The lack of a second line killed us vs Tampa in the finals years ago. Obviously, Suzuki has matured, CC, despite not scoring like we hope, is not playing bad and Slaf is exactly what those two needed. If we had a good second line…

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The thing about Suzuki as well, is that I think he will age like a fine wine. He's such an intelligent player. He rarely puts himself in dangerous positions and his game is more about putting himself continuously in the right place than playing balls out non stop.

Reactions: themilosh and Wats

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The 2nd line thing isnt that important IMO, the D pairings though? Thats a massive difference. They need a guy that can support the attack at 5 on 5 and 5 on 4. Guhle can but hes strapped to Matheson, who cancels anything good Guhle does.

Then theres CCs scoring

Then theres a matchup line that can, hopefully help Evans or upgrade on him.

Then theres the 2nd line.
The thing about Suzuki as well, is that I think he will age like a fine wine. He's such an intelligent player. He rarely puts himself in dangerous positions and his game is more about putting himself continuously in the right place than playing balls out non stop.
He will age like Crosby, of course not as good.

Reactions: FrankMTL

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Nick getting praise for asking Slaf on his line but it was just a ruse to get Anderson off his line.

3sta9g.jpg

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Just imagine that Caufield has “way more upside” too. Exciting times, if this team had a second line he could be flirting with 100 point seasons in the future imo.
A very interesting thing to note is Caufield's recent success all came about because he took his game "Off the Boards"
The Roadrunner might just know what he's talking about after all!
The other thing is on that PP goal last night Caulfield took his man towards the net which opened up all that space for Suzuki.

Good stuff.

Reactions: Mrb1p

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Koivu of 2002-2003 did not havbe Kovalev to take up some attention, and the league scoring was lower than 2006-2007 post lockout - 2.65 goals per team per game in 2002-2003 versus 2.88 in 2006-2007.

Also, Saku's 2006-2007 season was a lot weaker defensively. He had slowed a step from his mid- to late-20s and had to cheat up the ice somewhat to be as productive as he was. The nights he and Ryder played a tighter game, their scoring dipped. But there weren't many of those. They missed the playoffs. :( I don't think they would have missed had the 2002-2003 version of Koivu been on the ice in 2006-2007.

By the following season 2007-2008, 25 year old Tomas Plekanec was clearly the better player.

Yeah I remember they lost the final game of the season in 06/07 which made them miss the playoffs.

I remember the Habs being shorthanded alot in that game, and they decided to go with huet even though he was coming off a long term injury.

That was a heartbreaking way to miss the playoffs, but if they had made it, I think buffalo would have been their opponent, and I think they matched up well enough with them that it would have been an interesting series.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah I remember they lost the final game of the season in 06/07 which made them miss the playoffs.

I remember the Habs being shorthanded alot in that game, and they decided to go with huet even though he was coming off a long term injury.

That was a heartbreaking way to miss the playoffs, but if they had made it, I think buffalo would have been their opponent, and I think they matched up well enough with them that it would have been an interesting series.
Wasn't that the game Steve Begin took a stupid high sticking penalty after the second period was over.

Reactions: themilosh

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This cannot be ignored. The lack of a second line killed us vs Tampa in the finals years ago. Obviously, Suzuki has matured, CC, despite not scoring like we hope, is not playing bad and Slaf is exactly what those two needed. If we had a good second line…

There's two top 6 spots up for grabs and it appears the best candidates at this point are newhook and Roy. But they absolutely need more options because injuries happen and a couple of these guys might not be good enough in the first place.

If the defense pans out the way they hope, I can see them absolutely leveraging that for help up front. That's how trades are supposed to work. Leverage a position of strength that other teams are looking for in order to address your own weaknesses.

Wasn't that the game Steve Begin took a stupid high sticking penalty after the second period was over.

Probably, I do remember people being mad at begin but I don't remember more than that.

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's two top 6 spots up for grabs and it appears the best candidates at this point are newhook and Roy. But they absolutely need more options because injuries happen and a couple of these guys might not be good enough in the first place.

If the defense pans out the way they hope, I can see them absolutely leveraging that for help up front. That's how trades are supposed to work. Leverage a position of strength that other teams are looking for in order to address your own weaknesses.

Probably, I do remember people being mad at begin but I don't remember more than that.
Do you think I might have been pissed seeing as I still remember it to this day. :laugh:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Yes I think it gave the leafs a 5on3 and then McCabe scored. Such, such a painful loss

IIRC, the pain was lessened by the Leafs getting eliminated the next day with an Islanders win over NJ. I still laugh at Cherry practically begging a long since clinched Devils to play Brodeur "for the paying fans" so to give them a better chance to beat the Islanders 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad