Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Can't see any way that Toffoli stays here, kinda sounds like they will try to sign either DeMelo or Dillon both might not be possible

Agreed. Not really sure we even have a desire to re-sign Toffoli (regardless of what TT’s intentions are). The Ehlers thing will be interesting. I like him and hope we find a way to extend him, but if we don’t and it can’t be done and he ends up being moved this summer, it opens up cap space (for the Monahan/DeMelo/Dillion trio) and potentially something meaningful in return (maybe on defence — really I think this is where we got stung this year - I think we had a fairly deep fwd group, but really when you compare the 2018 team vs. this one, you look at Morrissey, Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chariot — our group collectively was not compatible to 2018 on defence. It doesn’t necessarily have to match 2018 level, but it has to be deeper than 2023-24 version for a real cup run I think).

None

Feb 22, 2012
Did he say he was coming back. I haven't had a chance to listen. Personally think he should move on.

Not outright, he said something along the lines of sitting down with his wife, kids, Chipman, and Cheveldayoff but he said he already knows what he wants with a smile.
Thankfully it's not up to him with a club option.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, my concern with Bones is I think the organization is at a point right now where it needs to give those younger players opportunities in this upcoming season in order to transition into that next “era”, so-to-speak (and I think we can actually be a winning team even while we do that). That needs to happen for us to really have that multi-year window. There are a lot of young players in the pipeline (and Perfetti currently with the club) who have pretty high ceilings but in order to see that through they will need some ice time. And if a few of these players pan out, it could meaningfully change the makeup of our roster (of course some core players will still be here) and take things to another level.

And my concern/my point here: Based on how Bones did things this year (the prime example being how he dealt with Perfetti), I just don’t think he’s the guy to accomplish this for the jets.

I'm not as concerned about Cole under Bones next year. I think he passed the "how a young player needs to he a pro or whatever" gauntlet Bones put him through. I actually expect he'll now be in the Bones good books much like how Hintz and Robertson where after going through the same in Dallas.

My concern is more with the Moose guys. None of them saw a meaningful amount of time with the big team this past year and imo that likely won't change next year with him. Ville likely gets a long look juat due to waivers, but I expect he gets the in and out of the lineup young player treatment.

Did Chevy say that the Avalanche figure out the Jets structure and the Jets couldn't adapt or adjust, that's not a ringing endorsement for Bones

I'll have to listen later but definitely doesn't sound like it.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
So when it's all said and done, the Jets will make decisions on the coaching staff, changes will happen to the roster, will try to sign their UFA's for the most part and hope that some prospects will make the jump.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Chevy echoing that the team has to play a certain way in order to be successful and that for some reason yet to be determined, they lost their game. Tells me that he believes in the group and they just need to figure out why it happened.

That is, they will be running it back.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Chevy echoing that the team has to play a certain way in order to be successful and that for some reason yet to be determined, they lost their game. Tells me that he believes in the group and they just need to figure out why it happened.

That is, they will be running it back.

Of course they will, to the board this season was likely a success.

Our MO is to make the playoffs, anything else is gravy.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Obviously, having Schmidt and later Miller in the lineup improved us greatly. The 3 or 4 penalties Stan got hurt us immensely. Easy to forget we were leading that game until that nightmare 3rd.

Appleton and Pionk, and Stan are very expendable. DeMelo and Ehlers are too, especially since Ehlers has some trade value. Dillon is probably signing somewhere else.

Looks like Lambo, Chib and Heinola are the most poised to make the team next year, probably Lambo and VH, Chib is a long shot.

Salomonsson could be a surprise player, he's grown a lot in the last couple years.

Who's our 2C if Mono isn't back, which he probably isn't. Perfetti? Lambo?

But if DeMelo goes, we need a top 4 Right D to play with MO. And to be honest, we need the depth of a top 4 RD that we currently don't have. Salomonsson can replace Pionk or someone like Salo can. I actually like Collin Miller, he was really underutilized down the stretch.

The right additions could improve this already good team, and maybe it's enough to make us better and faster for the post season.

Could we trade Ehlers and Samberg for a top 4 Right D?

If Bones isn't back, does a no nonsense guy like Greg Berube make sense?

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Toffoli's agent is probably already on the phone with Kings management to try and get him back to LA.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Obviously, having Schmidt and later Miller in the lineup improved us greatly. The 3 or 4 penalties Stan got hurt us immensely. Easy to forget we were leading that game until that nightmare 3rd.

Appleton and Pionk, and Stan are very expendable. DeMelo and Ehlers are too, especially since Ehlers has some trade value. Dillon is probably signing somewhere else.

Looks like Lambo, Chib and Heinola are the most poised to make the team next year, probably Lambo and VH, Chib is a long shot.

Salomonsson could be a surprise player, he's grown a lot in the last couple years.

Who's our 2C if Mono isn't back, which he probably isn't. Perfetti? Lambo?

But if DeMelo goes, we need a top 4 Right D to play with MO. And to be honest, we need the depth of a top 4 RD that we currently don't have. Salomonsson can replace Pionk or someone like Salo can. I actually like Collin Miller, he was really underutilized down the stretch.

The right additions could improve this already good team, and maybe it's enough to make us better and faster for the post season.

Could we trade Ehlers and Samberg for a top 4 Right D?

If Bones isn't back, does a no nonsense guy like Greg Berube make sense?

I don't think Ehlers + Samberg gets us a top 4 RHD, at least not a good enough one.

Ehlers will have rental value so likely in the area of a 1st + prospect type of package. Unless we try and swing some sort of rental for rental deal but I think we would be better off reloading our picks we spent on this years rentals. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's something we need to keep doing if we want to have a fresh cycle of players in the system. And I think Ehlers is likely to want to move on anyways and try his luck elsewhere. He's going to get payed very well in FA either way and I don't think we want that deal on our books going forward.

Samberg is 25 soon to be 26 next season. He likely is what he is with maybe some slight upticks in ability going forwards. I think as a 4-6 kind of player he is useful to us and likely won't cost a tonne. We just need to find him a partner than can move the puck and jump in on the attack. As a 3rd pairing guy, who can move into 2nd pairing duties when needed, he's solid.

Perfetti, Chibrikov, Lambert, Heinola and Salomonsson will all get long looks at camp with Perf, Chib, Lamb, Heinola likely getting a more extended look as I think Salomonsson may be better served with some time in the A but you never know he might just blow the doors down in camp.

The hard part of all of this is we have a good crop of young guys who are looking to make this team and any signings trades we do to fill those holes could keep them out but on the flip side having no insurance in case they aren't ready could make for a tough season trying to plug even more holes down the line.

We basically have two undersized C/W, a winger, a LHD and a RHD that could push for spots.

If DeMelo/Miller wants to stay then that might not be a bad idea to insure against Salomonsson not making the team. I don't think we resign Dillon. No idea what to do with Stanley.

I don't want the org to resign either of Monahan or Toffoli.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I don't think Ehlers + Samberg gets us a top 4 RHD, at least not a good enough one.

Ehlers will have rental value so likely in the area of a 1st + prospect type of package. Unless we try and swing some sort of rental for rental deal but I think we would be better off reloading our picks we spent on this years rentals. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's something we need to keep doing if we want to have a fresh cycle of players in the system. And I think Ehlers is likely to want to move on anyways and try his luck elsewhere. He's going to get payed very well in FA either way and I don't think we want that deal on our books going forward.

Samberg is 25 soon to be 26 next season. He likely is what he is with maybe some slight upticks in ability going forwards. I think as a 4-6 kind of player he is useful to us and likely won't cost a tonne. We just need to find him a partner than can move the puck and jump in on the attack. As a 3rd pairing guy, who can move into 2nd pairing duties when needed, he's solid.

Perfetti, Chibrikov, Lambert, Heinola and Salomonsson will all get long looks at camp with Perf, Chib, Lamb, Heinola likely getting a more extended look as I think Salomonsson may be better served with some time in the A but you never know he might just blow the doors down in camp.

The hard part of all of this is we have a good crop of young guys who are looking to make this team and any signings trades we do to fill those holes could keep them out but on the flip side having no insurance in case they aren't ready could make for a tough season trying to plug even more holes down the line.

We basically have two undersized C/W, a winger, a LHD and a RHD that could push for spots.

If DeMelo/Miller wants to stay then that might not be a bad idea to insure against Salomonsson not making the team. I don't think we resign Dillon. No idea what to do with Stanley.

Agreed, but Ehlers should be moved sooner than later, slightly more value for a full year vs a deadline. With the right package, we would and should get a top 4 R D

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Isn't Perfetti waiver eligible now? I think he's pretty much guaranteed to be on the team and in the top 6 as he'll be making a couple million a year on his next deal.

No clue what happens with anyone else.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Isn't Perfetti waiver eligible now? I think he's pretty much guaranteed to be on the team and in the top 6 as he'll be making a couple million a year on his next deal.

No clue what happens with anyone else.

Yeah just not sure if he will be PB or fulltime. We'll see what happens in camp.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, but Ehlers should be moved sooner than later, slightly more value for a full year vs a deadline. With the right package, we would and should get a top 4 R D

It's tough though. Not a lot of teams are dangling true top 4 RHD out there.

Makar, Bouchard, Fox, Dobson, Weegar, Carlson, Letang, Doughty, McAvoy, Faber, Burns, Seider, Durzi, Andersson, Montour, Pietrangelo, Jones, Faulk, Parayko, Schultz, Manson, Trouba, Kesselring, Nemec, Chatfield, Savard, Schneider, Carlo all aren't being moved. Most guys outside of that list aren't worth trading or signing as they aren't an upgrade over what we have.

You could maybe try and sign Sean Walker, but damn near every other team will be making him offers in free agency if he gets there. You might be able to pry Pullock or Severson from their respective teams but both have full NTC's.

I doubt Chevy will put up with that. By all accounts Chevy wasn't happy with how Bones used him. Doubt he allows it to happen again.

Yeah who knows how things go. I think he's likely top 6 but I'm not going to say for sure as this team doesn't always make the right choices.

Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's tough though. Not a lot of teams are dangling true top 4 RHD out there.

Makar, Bouchard, Fox, Dobson, Weegar, Carlson, Letang, Doughty, McAvoy, Faber, Burns, Seider, Durzi, Andersson, Montour, Pietrangelo, Jones, Faulk, Parayko, Schultz, Manson, Trouba, Kesselring, Nemec, Chatfield, Savard, Schneider, Carlo all aren't being moved. Most guys outside of that list aren't worth trading or signing as they aren't an upgrade over what we have.

You could maybe try and sign Sean Walker, but damn near every other team will be making him offers in free agency if he gets there. You might be able to pry Pullock or Severson from their respective teams but both have full NTC's.

Yeah who knows how things go. I think he's likely top 6 but I'm not going to say for sure as this team doesn't always make the right choices.

Yeah, I've long thought Chevy gives his coaches way too much autonomy. But I doubt Cole gives whoever the coach is much choice in the matter anyhow.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Unless we actually change how we deploy its top 6 or bust for both. Chevy won't keep them around to play 4th line and neither would fit with Lowry.

Yeah you might be right. Lowry has kind of cemented the 3rd line to be a shutdown one and the 4th is just an energy line.

A lot will depend on what happens with Ehlers I think. I'm hoping we don't resign either of Monahan or Toffoli so that opens up some space in the top 6. If all 3 are gone by next years camp then its basically.

Connor - Schief - Vilardi
X - X - Perfetti

Chib and Lambert could fit in there. Maybe move some guys around so there are some vets and youngsters on all lines. If Ehlers is back then it really only opens one spot. If they also decide to resign Monahan then it leaves zero spots open.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah you might be right. Lowry has kind of cemented the 3rd line to be a shutdown one and the 4th is just an energy line.

A lot will depend on what happens with Ehlers I think. I'm hoping we don't resign either of Monahan or Toffoli so that opens up some space in the top 6. If all 3 are gone by next years camp then its basically.

Connor - Schief - Vilardi
X - X - Perfetti

Chib and Lambert could fit in there. Maybe move some guys around so there are some vets and youngsters on all lines. If Ehlers is back then it really only opens one spot. If they also decide to resign Monahan then it leaves zero spots open.

My gut tells me Ehlers is gone.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad