Value of: Nick Leddy

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Pulock is a solid offensive defensemen that plays like an idiot in his own end. 5m is hardly a bargain by any stretch mate. You can spin that however you like.

Barzal doesn't score goals so he isn't worth as much? Lol so the fact that he creates goals is worth nothing?
Yes. One of he top pairing dmen,on one of the best blue lines in the league is a disaster in his own end.:sarcasm:

What a clue less take.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great take
Pulock is getting paid for his offense, not his horrendous defense, him taking "less" is maybe not as much of a big deal as they want to make it out to be when Pelech is the beast on that pair that lets Pulock do his thing offensively without worrying about how below average he is in his own end and they can save the "I bet you don't watch the team at all"...same division, we do.

Yes. One of he top pairing dmen,on one of the best blue lines in the league is a disaster in his own end.:sarcasm:

What a clue less take.
What a weird way to diminish the incredible work Pelech does.

Pulock is the isles top pairing RHD.Eats up probably the most mins on the blue line.

Most of the armchair HF GMs , have been insisting the isles would not get him signed for less then $6m- $7m per.
But, yeah tell yourself that $5m per is not leaving $ on the table.
Because he's their top offensive defenseman that is paired with their top defensive defenseman, you get how that works? Well, no, you clearly do not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Very likely the comparable this time around is Laine/Point. 2-3 year deal in the 6's. Isles can't afford to do a 5 year deal and even then I highly doubt he breaks 10.

Point is not a good comparison. He took less to keep that stacked Tampa offense together, he's one of the straws that stirs that drink. For the Islanders, Barzal is the main one, he's one of the most important players offensively there, whereas Point up until that point was still 4th-5th most important player on that squad after Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, and Vasilievskiy. Barzal has been an elite playmaker the last few seasons, him scoring will happen, but the kid should be at the least, taking a 2yr bridge deal at 8m/yr as the lowest based on his career so far. I mean, is he not your franchise player?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Doesn't matter, they're not trading him. They traded Toews because the return was better than trading Leddy. They'll bury Ladd, Hickey and Komarov to save 3.075. Probably will have to give up a first in order to dump Boychuk but that will give them enough to sign Barzal, Greene and Martin. Then they're done.

Now that Pulock is signed I expect all of the above to happen in the next week or so. We'll see.
I love the Islanders. Were my boyhood team. But there is 0.0000% chance they’ll be able to trade the last two years of Boychuks $6mm contract for just a first round pick. That will cost quite a bit more to unload. Add a high level prospect. There just isn’t enough cap space available to trade him into without significant pain.

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I love the Islanders. Were my boyhood team. But there is 0.0000% chance they’ll be able to trade the last two years of Boychuks $6mm contract for just a first round pick. That will cost quite a bit more to unload. Add a high level prospect. There just isn’t enough cap space available to trade him into without significant pain.

I think Bellows is the closest thing to a high level prospect that would go in a cap move...

...and he's bound for Minnesota for Parise

:sarcasm:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's not that bad lol. 3 years x 5.5M per. Stop the overreaction.

Yes, first round pick bad. But not two first round picks plus Bolduc bad.

I'd maybe add a throw in prospect like Ishakov in with a first round pick, but for a bottom feeder like Detroit, getting what's effectively a free first round pick is quite the haul.

Ladd’s contract and performance are roughly two 1sts bad right now. Can sort out small additions, subtractions, retention to tweak that.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ladd’s contract and performance are roughly two 1sts bad right now. Can sort out small additions, subtractions, retention to tweak that.
Two 1sts is what wouldn't get you hung up on.

Ladd is god awful AND he has 3 more years left. His contract is so awful, even buying him out has literally no beneficial value as it just extends that dumpster fire of a contract another 3yrs and the first 3yrs is barely a savings of 800k per year for a cap hit.

I am shocked he hasn't manifested a rash yet. I wonder if Chicago wants an old pal back, since they started to pout when friends were moved again, lol.

Reactions: The Real JT

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
t.

I am not diminishing Pelech's work by saying Pulock's a fine top pairing RHD,whose $5m per salary is a team friendly salary.

Don't act as the isles could simply move Pulock off the top pairing and replace him with one of Mayfield/Boychuk/ young Dobson and not miss a beat.

Reactions: Quicklime

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pulock is getting paid for his offense, not his horrendous defense, him taking "less" is maybe not as much of a big deal as they want to make it out to be when Pelech is the beast on that pair that lets Pulock do his thing offensively without worrying about how below average he is in his own end and they can save the "I bet you don't watch the team at all"...same division, we do.

Because he's their top offensive defenseman that is paired with their top defensive defenseman, you get how that works? Well, no, you clearly do not.
Pulock is horrendous on defense? Based on what? He seems above average on that side of the puck based on watching him alone.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pulock is a solid offensive defensemen that plays like an idiot in his own end. 5m is hardly a bargain by any stretch mate. You can spin that however you like.

Barzal doesn't score goals so he isn't worth as much? Lol so the fact that he creates goals is worth nothing?

is this for real? One of the best things about Pulock is his 2way game. As drafted as an offensive defenseman and hasn’t put up crazy offense but has been excellent defensively.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

Woah woah wait a sec lol

"Horrendous defense"???

Wasn't expecting Ray Charles to ever be posting on a hockey board lol jk

This is too hot a take, even for me lol

Sure Pelech is amazing but Pulock ain't to slouch buddy.

I REALLY think you should go back and re-watch the games a little more closely.

Reactions: Quicklime

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Woah woah wait a sec lol

"Horrendous defense"???

Wasn't expecting Ray Charles to ever be posting on a hockey board lol jk

This is too hot a take, even for me lol

Sure Pelech is amazing but Pulock ain't to slouch buddy.

I REALLY think you should go back and re-watch the games a little more closely.
I did, but sure, let some homers freak out.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Maybe rewatch the entire Tampa vs Isles series.

That's not how this works, I asked you for examples. But you conveniently responded to someone else.

And if I rewatched the entire Tampa vs. Isles series I would see Toews and Mayfield as the idiots in their own end. I would also notice that the entire team was significantly out played and were hanging on for dear life. So, bad example.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
It's not that bad lol. 3 years x 5.5M per. Stop the overreaction.

Yes, first round pick bad. But not two first round picks plus Bolduc bad.

I'd maybe add a throw in prospect like Ishakov in with a first round pick, but for a bottom feeder like Detroit, getting what's effectively a free first round pick is quite the haul.

You'd have to get really creative to unload Ladd without taking any cap back. Even teams who are sitting on piles of cap space like Detroit probably aren't thrilled to add a $5.5M buyout proof boat anchor on their roster for the next three years especially in a flat cap world. You can't call that "free" by any stretch. Unless there is a medical issue forcing Ladd on a LTIR you will really need a lot to entice someone taking his contract. Heck, the Rangers already paid a 2nd to unload ONE year of Marc Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad