Value of: Nick Leddy

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
If I were you, I wouldn't settle for less than 2 1sts, Ladd, Bolduc for one of your D prospects (and when I say "D Prospects" I mean, not an A, B or C prospect...one of your 6th or 7th rounders you're not high on).

Ladd's contract is horrible.
It's not that bad lol. 3 years x 5.5M per. Stop the overreaction.

Yes, first round pick bad. But not two first round picks plus Bolduc bad.

I'd maybe add a throw in prospect like Ishakov in with a first round pick, but for a bottom feeder like Detroit, getting what's effectively a free first round pick is quite the haul.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It's not that bad lol. 3 years x 5.5M per. Stop the overreaction.

Yes, first round pick bad. But not two first round picks plus Bolduc bad.

I'd maybe add a throw in prospect like Ishakov in with a first round pick, but for a bottom feeder like Detroit, getting what's effectively a free first round pick is quite the haul.

Also depends on the market. And if the Isles get cap space to sign players.

If Detroit takes on the cap hit for 3 years, the Isles would have to make it worth the Wings money.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

If Detroit takes on the cap hit for 3 years, the Isles would have to make it worth the Wings money.
Is a first round pick for basically free an insulting offer?

It's not like I offered you Otto Koivula to take on Ladd.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Nah. Pulock is quoted saying he and Barzal talked and agreed they will take team friendly deals this off-season ( after a strong playoff run). I read Barzal is likely to sign for $6m.

Isles are more likely to move uncle Leo or even Casey Cizikas then Ladd this offseason imo. Much less costly

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Why would you use a quote from 2019 to disprove a comment about ice time that happened in 2020?

the quote was from early in the season... oct 2019. And to further that narrative Trotz was quoted as saying Leddy was his best player during the playoffs.

The truth is the ice time is being cherry picked. Leddy’s ice time albeit has lowered since Trotz came in, but it was still higher than Toews (20:30), and 1 sec. less than Pelech (21:08). Leddy’s TOI was 21:08down from 22:30, which was clearly too much for him to shoulder.

Toews did supplant Leddy on the first PP unit, but That has more to say about Toews than Leddy.

And Trotz uses Leddy in all situations.

once Toews was traded Leddy became very unlikely to be moved.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Isles already traded Devon Toews, they're not going to deal Leddy.

Lou can free up cap in other ways to get Barzal signed.
You'd have to find some miracle way to get some poor bastard to take Ladd, Kulemin, and Clutterbuck and then sign Barzal to a long term deal at what he'd likely command (10+).

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't matter, they're not trading him. They traded Toews because the return was better than trading Leddy. They'll bury Ladd, Hickey and Komarov to save 3.075. Probably will have to give up a first in order to dump Boychuk but that will give them enough to sign Barzal, Greene and Martin. Then they're done.

Now that Pulock is signed I expect all of the above to happen in the next week or so. We'll see.

you realize they have to replace those buried guys right? so at the min 700k that saves less than a mil

boychuk absolutely has to go and like you said, bye bye first, maybe more

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You'd have to find some miracle way to get some poor bastard to take Ladd, Kulemin, and Clutterbuck and then sign Barzal to a long term deal at what he'd likely command (10+).

$10m+?

Someone should tell Barzal his new demands. Cause it sounds like Barza, like Pulcok, is willing to take a short term, team friendly deal. Fortunately for the NYI, Barzal is 4 yrs away from unrestricted free agency so after his short term deal ends, the isles will be in position to give him a bigger offer.

Andrew Gross
@AGrossNewsday
·
Nov 4
Regarding RFA Mathew Barzal, newly-resigned #Isles D Ryan Pulock says two have talked in the offseason. Says goal for both was to have deals that worked for both sides in order to keep as much of this group together as possible. Pulock says they want to win here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
you realize they have to replace those buried guys right? so at the min 700k that saves less than a mil

Boychuk does not "absolutely have to go" at this point. If the isles make a smaller move now(trade Uncle Leo/trade Cizikas/or a buyout of Ebs) to get Barzal signed, they can hold off moving Boychuk until after his $2.75m July, 2021 bonus is paid. He will be due $1.25m after that date and likely easier to move.

Islanders and Ryan Pulock agree to a great two-year contract extension
With Pulock signed at a $5 million cap hit the Islanders have committed $77.594 million of an $81.5 million salary cap. That leaves $3.905 million in space below the ceiling and $12.055 in offseason cap space (teams can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason). That’s more than enough offseason cap space to figure out the Mathew Barzal extension and ward off any sort of offer sheets.
This extension also allows the Islanders to open a second buyout window in two days time for deals exceeding a $4 million AAV.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

As the burying/replacing has been brought up ad nauseum in any Isles cap thread, yes, it's understood. It's still anywhere from 1.075 to 5.5 off the cap, which puts us under the max number. As also said in an Isles cap thread, it's not ideal by any stretch.

Thankfully there's at least two - four months until the regular season starts. If it costs a first in the 2021 draft to move a player, no big deal. I doubt it is going to cost a first to move Hickey or Komarov. It should cost a first plus a B prospect to move Boychuk. Much like on the ice, Ladd is immovable

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
$10m+?

Someone should tell Barzal his new demands. Cause it sounds like Barza, like Pulcok, is willing to take a short term, team friendly deal. Fortunately for the NYI, Barzal is 4 yrs away from unrestricted free agency so after his short term deal ends, the isles will be in position to give him a bigger offer.

Andrew Gross
@AGrossNewsday
·
Nov 4
Regarding RFA Mathew Barzal, newly-resigned #Isles D Ryan Pulock says two have talked in the offseason. Says goal for both was to have deals that worked for both sides in order to keep as much of this group together as possible. Pulock says they want to win here.

Lol and So Pulock took 5m. Yeah, totally helped his mates out.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kulemin? 10+ million?
Now I'm curious how little you lot think his value is. To me he's in the same group, slightly less tier, than Eichel and Matthews at the moment. Both are 10+. I'd put Barzal at 10.5-11m yr for at least a 5yr deal.

But another bloke thinks Pulock taking 5/yr is helping his team, lmao so yeah sure. Whatever.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Now I'm curious how little you lot think his value is. To me he's in the same group, slightly less tier, than Eichel and Matthews at the moment. Both are 10+. I'd put Barzal at 10.5-11m yr for at least a 5yr deal.

But another bloke thinks Pulock taking 5/yr is helping his team, lmao so yeah sure. Whatever.

I wouldn't put Barzal ar 10+ for the same reason I think Marner's overpaid. Lack of goal-scoring.

Pulock taking 5 a year IS helping the Isles. He's a 10g, 30a RD that would get 6 to 6.5 on the open market, easily.

Leddy's 5.5 per is "ok", probably overpaid by .5 or 1M at this point but his actual salary is MORE, 6.5 next year and 7 the year after. In this Covid-era it's a detriment to his trade value.

Reactions: malcb33

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I guessed some time ago that it could be Boychuk that is moved. That won't be easy to swing, and it would probably take retention and a pick attached to move him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't put Barzal ar 10+ for the same reason I think Marner's overpaid. Lack of goal-scoring.

Pulock taking 5 a year IS helping the Isles. He's a 10g, 30a RD that would get 6 to 6.5 on the open market, easily.

Leddy's 5.5 per is "ok", probably overpaid by .5 or 1M at this point but his actual salary is MORE, 6.5 next year and 7 the year after. In this Covid-era it's a detriment to his trade value.
Pulock is a solid offensive defensemen that plays like an idiot in his own end. 5m is hardly a bargain by any stretch mate. You can spin that however you like.

Barzal doesn't score goals so he isn't worth as much? Lol so the fact that he creates goals is worth nothing?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Pulock is a solid offensive defensemen that plays like an idiot in his own end. 5m is hardly a bargain by any stretch mate. You can spin that however you like.

That's your own opinion re: his defense and 5M for your first pairing d-man is a bargain by any stretch.

Barzal doesn't score goals so he isn't worth as much? Lol so the fact that he creates goals is worth nothing?

Of course it's worth more than nothing. It's worth 8-9 per season on a long-term contract. Look at all the other playmaking centers and there's more than just assists they have in common. They all consistently score 30 goals a season, especially when they were in their first seven or eight years in the league. That's why there is and should be a difference in what McDavid, Malkin, Crosby, Draisatl, Matthews, etc and why Mat never finds himself in the top 10, 15 or 20 centers in the league lists.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Very likely the comparable this time around is Laine/Point. 2-3 year deal in the 6's. Isles can't afford to do a 5 year deal and even then I highly doubt he breaks 10.
The spin here is 'idiot in his own end'

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol and So Pulock took 5m. Yeah, totally helped his mates out.
Pulock is the isles top pairing RHD.Eats up probably the most mins on the blue line.

Most of the armchair HF GMs , have been insisting the isles would not get him signed for less then $6m- $7m per.
But, yeah tell yourself that $5m per is not leaving $ on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad