Player Discussion: Nic Petan Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lemieux scored too. I wouldnt read much into it until they put together a good season. One game is nothing.

Reactions: Deedog99

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Leafs management looked incredulous in the press box when Petan scored. Not something they expected. Good to see Nic making the best of his chance.

Reactions: GNP

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
2v2qcz.jpg

Good job Nic. Deserved that goal today. I'm really glad he's got an opportunity to hit the ice.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They looked like they were congratulating themselves for ripping off Chevy... Of course, I'm sure there are 'short guy' detractors in the Leafs organization, too, so maybe there was a bet going on that someone just won:popcorn:
I 'm referring more to Babcocks ahole comments about his scouts telling him to play this guy.....pretty clear that he didn't want to. Thats Reid Mitchell losing it in the press box, I'm guessing Petan was his guy.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I 'm referring more to Babcocks ahole comments about his scouts telling him to play this guy.....pretty clear that he didn't want to. Thats Reid Mitchell losing it in the press box, I'm guessing Petan was his guy.
Yeah, I just read in a Leafs thread that Lindholm was one of "Babcock's toys" (ie gritty unskilled players) that they traded away so that he couldn't play him anymore. The observation is that the 4th line has been instantly better without Lindholm.

Last edited:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Just feel like he got a raw deal compared to guys like Appleton, Roslovic and Lemieux
Good teams have to send guys packing all the time. It's the way it is. A good gm doesn't fall in love with his picks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They shouldn't fall in love with aging vets either. Little should've been traded, not extended.

You might be right on Little, but at least he keeps in shape, and is dedicated to the club. He's on pace for 50 points this year. If Hayes resigns here, we may not need Little.

I think I'd be more worried about Wheeler's contract, especially in the last 2 years of it -same goes for Little,

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm not going to stop being a Petan fan now that he's gone, but it's a shame that goal wasn't for us.

Reactions: GNP

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
He didn't have a spot here. That Leaf F is so grossly overrated, its only 5 or 6 guys deep. He may find a spot there....hopefully.
I disagree. The leafs have ten good forewards. They have one of the deepest in my opinion. As much as I don’t like them.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

The Jet's will strongly regret giving Petan away for nothing !!!

Will they? That assumes:

A) They could have got something more for him.

and

B) He was going to resign with the Jets this offseason.

I disagree with both of those assumptions.

While I'm not a fan of the return (Would have preferred a draft pick, any draft pick), I recognize the value is pretty much the same, and we get a potentially useful bottom six player.

I think it's obvious Petan was on the rocks in the organization, and would have left this offseason for greener pastures.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO (that is influenced by stats) Petan did well in the few minutes that put him in the role he should be in but the jets had a lot of other options that I don’t knock them for preferring. Would I make he same decisions? No. But it’s fine.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Toronto is like the worst location for him if he wants to play in the NHL. Good luck breaking into that forward group, let alone the top 6. I'd like to see him somewhere where he gets a shot, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Just feel like he got a raw deal compared to guys like Appleton, Roslovic and Lemieux
Yea 100 games is really a raw deal. The 3 guys you mentioned have spent most of their NHL time in the same role that Petan got the chance to play in. He did nothing with that opportunity. He may not have been given a chance to play in the top 6 but neither has Appleton or Lemieux before he was traded and Roslovic has been bounced back to a 4th line role again after his last chance in the top 6. He was never going to get a chance over Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers or Connor who are our top 6 wingers. The best thing for him and the Jets was to part ways and hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Leafs management looked incredulous in the press box when Petan scored. Not something they expected. Good to see Nic making the best of his chance.

That reaction to me was more like “we got a steal of a deal”. I really think Petan will blossom into a great NHL player and that this trade will not be one of Chevy’s proudest moments.

They looked like they were congratulating themselves for ripping off Chevy... Of course, I'm sure there are 'short guy' detractors in the Leafs organization, too, so maybe there was a bet going on that someone just won:popcorn:

Exactly this. And the true winners were the leafs. Petan is a super skilled player and they acquired him for nothing. And that reaction said it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad