Player Discussion: Nic Petan Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That reaction to me was more like “we got a steal of a deal”. I really think Petan will blossom into a great NHL player and that this trade will not be one of Chevy’s proudest moments.
I don't think so, I think its more of a Babcock vs everyone else power struggle. There is just too much smoke, gotta be some fire there.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Yeah, I just read in a Leafs thread that Lindholm was one of "Babcock's toys" (ie gritty unskilled players) that they traded away so that he couldn't play him anymore. The observation is that the 4th line has been instantly better without Lindholm.

It makes me really wonder about the logic of this trade. For example, with Lowry suspended right now, wouldn’t Petan be in? We were one suspension or one injury away from this. Now, instead, we have Lindholm or Hendricks to plug in. Please, no one try to make an argument that they make the roster better than Petan would lol.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Good teams have to send guys packing all the time. It's the way it is. A good gm doesn't fall in love with his picks.

Agreed... but for Lindholm? C’mon.

Yea 100 games is really a raw deal. The 3 guys you mentioned have spent most of their NHL time in the same role that Petan got the chance to play in. He did nothing with that opportunity. He may not have been given a chance to play in the top 6 but neither has Appleton or Lemieux before he was traded and Roslovic has been bounced back to a 4th line role again after his last chance in the top 6. He was never going to get a chance over Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers or Connor who are our top 6 wingers. The best thing for him and the Jets was to part ways and hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

I could be wrong, but I don’t feel like Petan got the same opportunity that Roslovic got. Roslovic basically played on the 2nd line for the entirety of Ehlers’ injury recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snowkiddin

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
C'mon guys, he scored 5 goals in 100+ games with us.

You can criticize his usage and linemates, but good players find a way to make themselves useful.

I can think of a game earlier this year where Roslovic literally pushed from behind to skate faster on the the back check.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
C'mon guys, he scored 5 goals in 100+ games with us.

You can criticize his usage and linemates, but good players find a way to make themselves useful.

I can think of a game earlier this year where Roslovic literally pushed from behind to skate faster on the the back check.
This^

So the guy got a goal on a perfect set up last night, big Whoop. The guy had plenty of chances here and failed miserably.
I know Winnipeggers are obsessed with the under dog with Petan being one for sure. I wanted him to excel here as much as the other guy, especially after his World Junior performance, but he didn’t or couldn’t bring it.
He’s to slow, his size didn’t help him, was a turnover machine, and is a not a “worker” ala Perrault.
Kypreos said it best, he scored in a game that wasn’t heavey or physical.

This undying love for the guy is mystifying.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
It's like he never left Winnipeg :laugh:

109E9D60-1E24-40A4-88D2-AE6D9E0F2E5A.jpeg

:laugh:

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad