Kings News: Nic Dowd recalled from Ontario.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree that the biggest 'problem' with Shore is that in a team full of currently-similar players he's redundant. He is, however, proving to be a cheap Lewis 'replacement' (albeit thus far less physical and tenacious up front).

He can still put it together, but I do worry about his tentativeness on the offensive side of the red line.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Good discussion. I respect Shore's Corsi numbers and defensive game. He slots in as a good 4C if he learns how to finish better. There are boxes, like Sutter likes to say, expected goals and points contributions from each role, and as RJ alludes to, we seem to have a very high percentage of our prospects topping out at the 4th-line or 3rd-pair ceiling.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Good discussion. I respect Shore's Corsi numbers and defensive game. He slots in as a good 4C if he learns how to finish better. There are boxes, like Sutter likes to say, expected goals and points contributions from each role, and as RJ alludes to, we seem to have a very high percentage of our prospects topping out at the 4th-line or 3rd-pair ceiling.

No doubt. Not a lot of ceiling to many of these guys. Right now, Dowd is probably the Kings most offensively oriented C in the system unless Amadio can carry his offense over. Little more nasty/energy to him than Shore also. Marchment, Dergachyov, Crescenzi are all pretty much bottom six/bottom line. Auger also, Mistele, Lowry, etc. etc.

Tough sledding to find high skill forwards in the system right now.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I agree with the above (post #74) by Jason Lewis regarding Nick Shore. The last month or so Shore has been more involved in the play on both sides of the puck. The points aren't there but it's an improvement that he is attempting to generate offense and creating some decent chances.

Dowd has been a very pleasant surprise so far. How many Kings forwards can carry the puck around in the offensive zone with their head up the whole time looking to make a play? Three or four times against Winnipeg last night guys were going after him hard trying to give those extra shots that let you know he is getting on peoples nerves. One time in particular Byfuglien was frantically trying to get a piece of him along the boards.

I think the eventual line-up will be Dowd #3 and Shore #4.

Last edited:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I agree with the above by Jason Lewis regarding Nick Shore. The last month or so Shore has been more involved in the play on both sides of the puck. The points aren't there but it's an improvement that he is attempting to generate offense and creating some decent chances.

Dowd has been a very pleasant surprise so far. How many Kings forwards can carry the puck around in the offensive zone with their head up the whole time looking to make a play? Three or four times against Winnipeg last night guys were going after him hard trying to give those extra shots that let you know he is getting on peoples nerves. One time in particular Byfuglien was frantically trying to get a piece of him along the boards.

I would say that very well may be the C lineup at the start of next season. 11-77-26/67-21

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree with the above by Jason Lewis regarding Nick Shore. The last month or so Shore has been more involved in the play on both sides of the puck. The points aren't there but it's an improvement that he is attempting to generate offense and creating some decent chances.

The fact that Buff couldn't get rid of him despite really laying into him and tried to break a stick over him coupled with that time the Jet had him in a headlock after a few glove punches and he kept rolling was really endearing to me.

I liked him before that, I LOVED him after.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
I've been rooting for shore pretty hard since he's been up at this level... heck ive always loved our prospects from being a long time suffering kings fan... all i could hang my hat on was "the future". As we're a top contender lately, my love for following/rooting for our prospects still exists but it is nowhere near the level it was in the 90's and early 2000's when we were bad.

That being said...i just don't see it w/ shore anymore. I understand what kind of player he is but does it mean that he's EFFECTIVE or making a positive impact? my answer now is there's somebody else that is MORE effective so the other guy should play. That other guy is Nic Dowd, I've been waiting to see a reign player take the reigns... AA(who i adored as a prospect) frankly hasn't been cutting it either, Mersch showed glimpses and will one day be here as a productive PowerForward, but he didn't exactly steal a roster spot. 2 games is a small sample size but my eye test sees dowd as a player comfortable at this level... not hesitant, strong on the puck, aggressive on the forecheck...good on draws, and has a bit of nastiness, perfect for the bottom 6. Obviously like every young player he could hit a rough patch... but initially I like what I see and I hope when we get versteeg and vinny back.. and even gabo back... I'd like to play Dowd over Shore and Andreoff.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Kings have too much Corsi. They need more guys that can put the puck in the net.

I agree with the above (post #74) by Jason Lewis regarding Nick Shore. The last month or so Shore has been more involved in the play on both sides of the puck. The points aren't there but it's an improvement that he is attempting to generate offense and creating some decent chances.

The chances are there. They look good, lots of rebounds around the net. Unfortunately I've been burned by Lewis too many times and now I don't believe that those "chances" are even really that. I need to see the goal scored at this point.

No doubt. Not a lot of ceiling to many of these guys. Right now, Dowd is probably the Kings most offensively oriented C in the system unless Amadio can carry his offense over. Little more nasty/energy to him than Shore also. Marchment, Dergachyov, Crescenzi are all pretty much bottom six/bottom line. Auger also, Mistele, Lowry, etc. etc.

Tough sledding to find high skill forwards in the system right now.

DL was rumored to be interested in Zacha last year. I could see him going after a high skilled center to fill the 3C position long term on a cheap contract and learn from Kopitar/Carter about how to play center in the Kings system. It's about the right time to bring someone in to start training (as in years down the road)as a replacement.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I would say that very well may be the C lineup at the start of next season. 11-77-26/67-21

I agree with this take. Dowd is the perfect 3C for next year, and should be re-signed in the off season for less than a million for a couple of years. These are critical contracts for the Kings to remain competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad