Kings News: Nic Dowd recalled from Ontario.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
1 year in the USHL, 4 years in college at St. Cloud State, and 2 years in the AHL = 26 years old in May, so he is not a "kid" in hockey terms. Just hasn't had his shot yet. Not bad for a 7th round draft pick.

Looking at Sheng's piece Dowd was also in the NAHL before making it to the USHL. When he said it was a long road to get to last night, it was a long road.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Can we get rid of Shore already, he is awful. Liking Dowd and Andreoff way better.

Andreoff can be lumped along with Shore as being pretty worthless at the NHL level, both players are better suited for the minors, just like guys like Weal and O'Neill and Vey and Frattin and so on and so forth.

Dowd looks to have a future in the NHL, I don't know if the same can be said for the other aforementioned players.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Andreoff can be lumped along with Shore as being pretty worthless at the NHL level, both players are better suited for the minors, just like guys like Weal and O'Neill and Vey and Frattin and so on and so forth.

Dowd looks to have a future in the NHL, I don't know if the same can be said for the other aforementioned players.

It was just one viewing, but I can confidently say I've never seen AA or Shore look as comfortable or fit in as well as Dowd did in his first game.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
People here were saying the same things with Shore replacing Richards/Stoll... And it didn't happen

So...it might be difficult if he hasn't been able to out produce shore in the minors yet being 2 years older.

Could it happen?? Yes... And I'm hoping it happens. But it most certainly will be difficult.

(For the record, I was one who thought shore would produce more too. Now just a little more skeptical on offensive abilities translating to the NHL.)

In his last 100 games with the Kings, as bad as Mike was, he still scored 3 times as much, just go look at his stats. Stoll was also more productive than Stoll in his last 100 as a King. (including a nice elbow to Vlasic's head to help that it was 3-0 comeback against the Sharks in the playoffs) Shore has been garbage as far as offensive production goes. You're right, it's only 1 game where the Kings did dominate thoroughly (even if they lost), I just can't see anyone being as unproductive as Shore offensively. (unless his name is Jordan Nolan) Unlike others, I don't want to see him gone, I don't mind him on the 4th line, he still can win draws and is good on the PK.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dowd will be in the same boat as all fourth liners for production.

Your 4th line people don't produce offensive at all, unless that 4th liner is someone like Vinny Lecavalier

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
It was just one viewing, but I can confidently say I've never seen AA or Shore look as comfortable or fit in as well as Dowd did in his first game.

it was pretty surprising, he's faster and a little bigger than I expected but he fit right in. naturally he will be sent down when the Schteeger comes back but such is life in the Kings org

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
Dowd will be in the same boat as all fourth liners for production.

Your 4th line people don't produce offensive at all, unless that 4th liner is someone like Vinny Lecavalier

Tell the Islanders that.

And No Score Shore was supposed to be a 3C, he just obviously hasn't given the Kings what they thought they'd get out of him.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Looks like Dowd centering Toffoli and Pearson to start, hopefully they click and create some scoring chances

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
In his last 100 games with the Kings, as bad as Mike was, he still scored 3 times as much, just go look at his stats. Stoll was also more productive than Stoll in his last 100 as a King. (including a nice elbow to Vlasic's head to help that it was 3-0 comeback against the Sharks in the playoffs) Shore has been garbage as far as offensive production goes. You're right, it's only 1 game where the Kings did dominate thoroughly (even if they lost), I just can't see anyone being as unproductive as Shore offensively. (unless his name is Jordan Nolan) Unlike others, I don't want to see him gone, I don't mind him on the 4th line, he still can win draws and is good on the PK.

Hey, at least Nolan sometimes shows impressive feats of skill, he if worked on his accuracy a little more and on getting less penalties he'd actually be a really decent 4th maybe 3rd liner.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think Nolan is a perfect 4th liner for the current state of the game and the Kings identity.

It's more having him and Clifford playing at the same time against the better teams in the league that is a problem.

Team should keep Nolan around until he retires if his cap hit remains as low as it is.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
Hey, at least Nolan sometimes shows impressive feats of skill, he if worked on his accuracy a little more and on getting less penalties he'd actually be a really decent 4th maybe 3rd liner.

This is true and he has scored more goals in his last 100. Just said that cause he has 0 goals this year. Obviously Shore is still way more valuable (but idk if anyone would argue against that)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Pretty amazing. I thought newbies were supposed to go straight to the 4th line. Do not pass GO.

He threw some checks and didn't score in his first game, so 2nd line. :laugh:

Seriously though, didn't look bad in the first game. Throw him out there with 70/73 and see what he's got. Can always move Carter to C.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Another solid game from Dowd. First on the team in CF% (83.3), 11.9 better than 2nd place Toffoli. Faceoffs dropped of to 46.2%, still decent.

His poise in the o-zone is what surprises me the most. He never looked spooked by oncoming opponents. Protected the puck well and dished out some nice passes. Went to the net and finished his checks just like he did in the first game.

He'll make a great Vinny replacement next year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Another solid game from Dowd. First on the team in CF% (83.3), 11.9 better than 2nd place Toffoli. Faceoffs dropped of to 46.2%, still decent.

His poise in the o-zone is what surprises me the most. He never looked spooked by oncoming opponents. Protected the puck well and dished out some nice passes. Went to the net and finished his checks just like he did in the first game.

He'll make a great Vinny replacement next year.

I agree, those are the things I notice most and that makes me believe he may have a higher ceiling than I thought.

But with that sort of poise, he's EASILY our best 4C already, maybe even a decent 3C for next year. Just want to see what kind of production we can get out of him too but he passes the eye test as being saavier offensively than shore at least.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Our 3C Vinny can produce goals and impressive assists. As for our prospects producing goals above a 4th-line level, or at all, I'll believe it when I see it.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Our 3C Vinny can produce goals and impressive assists. As for our prospects producing goals above a 4th-line level, or at all, I'll believe it when I see it.

GOtta remember, Nick Shore is a pass first player who has mainly played with a rotation of Brown, Nolan, Andreoff, Clifford, and Lewis on his wings.

So as far as points goes it is going to be ugly by design. He also has just 100 NHL games experience. Which is a little over a season. Give it time.

People sour way too quickly on prospects at the NHL level.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
People sour way too quickly on prospects at the NHL level.

I disagree, just like I argued with Forbort, there should be progression with these young players. Like we saw with Pearson, Muzzin etc.

No one is expecting Shore to be a point per game player, but 4 goals and 17 points in 100 games, to go along with being a team worst -10 this year. The fans rightfully expected more from Shore this year.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I disagree, just like I argued with Forbort, there should be progression with these young players. Like we saw with Pearson, Muzzin etc.

No one is expecting Shore to be a point per game player, but 4 goals and 17 points in 100 games, to go along with being a team worst -10 this year. The fans rightfully expected more from Shore this year.

Team low scoring chances against per 60 when on ice.

+/- is not a good valuation of defensive quality.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Team low scoring chances against per 60 when on ice.

+/- is not a good valuation of defensive quality.

+/- is more of an overall stat than it is a defensive stat. It's hard to be a plus player when you score as little as Shore does. He is not awful defensively, but I think his overall play this year has been extremely disappointing.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
+/- is more of an overall stat than it is a defensive stat. It's hard to be a plus player when you score as little as Shore does. He is not awful defensively, but I think his overall play this year has been extremely disappointing.

The offense needs to be more frequent. I completely agree.

Stylistically it's going to be a drag for a pass first player playing with guys like Lewis and Brown. Which by the way, statistically speaking was one of the most threatening lines the Kings had this season....they just could never finish the puck.

Dowd is going to run into the same problem playing on the Kings bottom lines.

Richards did. Stoll did. Both were what you could consider "Pass first" centers. Playing on the Kings bottom six is not a recipe for high end production by any means. That has to be considered a little bit. That being said, Shore probably would have 4-5 more goals and about 4-5 more assists this year if not for things like...flubbing a shot, a rolling puck, or losing handle on it at a key moment.

Overall though, I'd say his strides defensively are very good, but it is not going not going to stop most critics who expect offense regularly. That's just me though. I like Shore's game personally and think he is a fine bottom six center. I can definitely agree with a desire for more offense, but a good defensive center is fiiiine by me.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Overall though, I'd say his strides defensively are very good, but it is not going not going to stop most critics who expect offense regularly. That's just me though. I like Shore's game personally and think he is a fine bottom six center. I can definitely agree with a desire for more offense, but a good defensive center is fiiiine by me.

Shore isn't physical, isn't putting up points so where does that put him? Not in the top 6, 3C wouldn't be great because you'd like someone with more grit. Shore just doesn't do anything to differentiate himself from Lewis. Team has too many Lewises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad