NHLPA discussing with players postponing games in light of Kenosha incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They could, they just didn't want to.

They do, they're just not on.

We need to stop making this discussion about incompetence.

See, this is where I think you go a tad overboard. You think the police want to kill a black man in this climate? Having seen other officers charged and seeing their lives torn up like the George Floyd and Rashard Brooks officers and what killing someone leads to in their community, I don't.

I think there are legitimately evil individuals in law enforcement but most of the problems are straight up incompetence. This situaiton to me was mostly incomptenence, not ill will.

The kid with the AR was clearly out for blood though. He wanted to incite a reaction to give him a license to kill.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
See, this is where I think you go a tad overboard. You think the police want to kill a black man in this climate? Having seen other officers charged and seeing their lives torn up like the George Floyd and Rashard Brooks officers and what killing someone leads to in their community, I don't.

I think there are legitimately evil individuals in law enforcement but most of the problems are straight up incompetence. This situaiton to me was mostly incomptenence, not ill will.

The kid with the AR was clearly out for blood though. He wanted to incite a reaction to give him a license to kill.
I'm beginning to get that impression, yeah.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Threads like this only accomplish one thing...show us how divided we are as a society. A bunch of you in this thread need to accept that some folks don't see these issues in the same light that you do. We have people on both sides who think their POV is the only one that counts & any differing opinions makes someone a racist/hater/facist etc. Zero tolerance for fair open discourse won't improve the situation and only divides us further.

Having a different opinion doesn't make someone a racist. Having an opinion rooted in racism makes someone a racist.

I fully accept that people don't see the world the way I do. However, by no stretch of the imagination does that mean I have to treat their opinion as factually accurate in cases where it isn't.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They could, they just didn't want to.

Well now we are reaching the point of absurdity.

Yeah, those officers wanted to murder some black folks so they could lose their jobs, rack up tens or hundreds of thousands in legal fees and expose themselves to potential life behind bars.

This is simple one sided issue blindness. There may have been multiple failings of those officers but the hot take that "they didn't want to subdue him because they wanted to shoot him," is entering the realm of fantasy.

No, they very clearly wanted to subdue him and were within their rights to do so as he had an outstanding warrant and apparently a weapon on him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Yeah, those officers wanted to murder some black folks so they could lose their jobs, rack up tens or hundreds of thousands in legal fees and expose themselves to potential life behind bars.

This is simple one sided issue blindness. There may have been multiple failings of those officers but the hot take that "they didn't want to subdue him because they wanted to shoot him," is entering the realm of fantasy.

No, they very clearly wanted to subdue him and were within their rights to do so as he had an outstanding warrant and apparently a weapon on him.
The root of the problem is that most officers don't face any real punishment for killing people

Reactions: mschmidt64

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I actually think the ones who are truly racist in law enforcement have a little self awareness and hide it a lot better. Scary on that level.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

If remotely any of this happened, I wouldn't be upset.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I can't believe some people are this upset about a night without hockey.

Go read a book. Talk to your wife/girlfriend. Try a new recipe. Spend your evening in other ways that don't include sitting down on a couch with a beer yelling at your tv. There's more to life than sports. That's the message here.

Not worried about the lack of hockey, but what's the message here, what are we denunciating?

What was the police supposed to do in this incident?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
There are racists in this country. There are racists in EVERY country. I firmly believe this country is less racist than it has ever been and continues to try to make progress to make it a better place. Maybe that's blind optimism, but I don't think today's youth, especially, gives a flying crap what color anyone is. I certainly don't.

And, I'm sorry, but I agree that police officers aren't waking up planning to kill anyone, regardless of color, on any day they are going to work. It's the last thing they want to do. Do people make bad decisions under pressure? Certainly. People are far from perfect and some of those decisions will cost dearly. It will never be as good as it should be.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
Way to bend the knee NHL..

Say didnt the guy get charged for raping a 14 year old girl..hmm
On top of resisting arrest and threatening harm towards police officers

And yet some leftists will still defend scumbags like this smfh

And dumbass athletes who aren't in touch with reality look at the headlines and dont know the full story decide to take a stand....
Now games are canceled for ZERO reason

Ppl are truly F#CK#N stupid
I've never seen a country willing to burn itself over criminals who are a detriment to society

I know someone on here will defend this guy
Let's go

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The root of the problem is that most officers don't face any real punishment for killing people

And that's very much a conversation worth having; but what has to go hand in hand with that discussion is the discussion of when police officers SHOULD be able to shoot someone.

I heard before in this thread that Rayshard Brooks "was sleeping." He wasn't sleeping when he was shot. He was being apprehended for DUI, no? He was sleeping when he was confronted, but that's the job we want police doing, right? Stopping potential DUIs? Am I wrong? The police had not just the right, but the duty to apprehend Brooks at that stage if they determined he was DUI.

He then resisted arrest and stole a taser. Yes, a taser is a non-lethal device but it has the ability to incapacitate. If he had successfully deployed it he could have incapacitated the officers and then taken their firearms. I'm sure the police are briefed on use of force in these situations to NOT allow someone to incapacitate and harm them or others. I don't want him to be shot - but I am not sure what the alternative is? To let him flee with the taser and get back in his car and drive under the influence?

The police have been very thoroughly trained at that stage that an individual such as this is an immediate danger and I'm not sure I disagree.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Oh the 3 peaceful protestors he shot, the first chased him and threw a Molotov cocktail at him (he was also a convicted rapist who has a rap sheet longer than what comes up when you search EdJovo posts mentioning “Trouba”), the second was someone who was hitting him with a skateboard while he was on the ground, the third was literally pointing a pistol at him. (I can send you videos of every incident as it was unfolding, I saw this in real time on Twitter unfortunately)

So yea the violent mob like those guys, the ones who killed David Dorn, the ones who killed those black children in CHAZ, the ones who burned a man alive in his pawn shop in Minnesota, the ones who are burning down and destroying thousands of small businesses, I’d say those actions are pretty violent, no?
Please be sure you have the sequence of events correct. Anyway, I don't believe it was his place to be roaming those streets with that weapon, especially at 17 years old.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
And that's very much a conversation worth having; but what has to go hand in hand with that discussion is the discussion of when police officers SHOULD be able to shoot someone.

I heard before in this thread that Rayshard Brooks "was sleeping." He wasn't sleeping when he was shot. He was being apprehended for DUI, no? He was sleeping when he was confronted, but that's the job we want police doing, right? Stopping potential DUIs? Am I wrong? The police had not just the right, but the duty to apprehend Brooks at that stage if they determined he was DUI.

He then resisted arrest and stole a taser. Yes, a taser is a non-lethal device but it has the ability to incapacitate. If he had successfully deployed it he could have incapacitated the officers and then taken their firearms. I'm sure the police are briefed on use of force in these situations to NOT allow someone to incapacitate and harm them or others. I don't want him to be shot - but I am not sure what the alternative is? To let him flee with the taser and get back in his car and drive under the influence?

The police have been very thoroughly trained at that stage that an individual such as this is an immediate danger and I'm not sure I disagree.
There was more than one officer with Brooks no? They probably should've tased him then, or let him use the taser once, lots of options that aren't killing him

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You make it seem like they shot him for no reason.

Here's the video below that shows why you don't let a suspect reach into their car.

Assuming Blake did not already have a knife on him (apparently police and woman can be heard asking him to drop the knife but not confirmed), he did confirmed having a knife in his vehicle and it was found on the driver's floor... And on the video the policeman doesn't shoot until he can see inside the car. Idk if I'm connecting the dots correctly but is it fair to assume that the policeman saw Blake reaching for a knife in his car after the altercation with his ex and fighting off police officers?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The thing that gets me is that when these discussions happen in the media, everyone always brings up that it is an election year and it is important to vote.

I would like to say that EVERY YEAR is an election year and deciding who is President of the country is not going to change how local police officials operate. If that was the case, I would think that the previous President would have done something to address it, but he really can't.

The best thing I heard yesterday was that the Bucks were having a call with local leaders, the Wisconsin AG being one of them. You want to make a change, that's a great person to contact when it comes down to it. The others would be the Mayor of Kenosha, the police chief, and possibly the Governor of Wisconsin

Hopefully, the best thing to come out of all of this is that people understand who is responsible for addressing these issues and not that anyone has to wait 4 years to make a change. The change can happen every year, not just when the person in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is decided.

Maybe people will understand civics and how things works and where change actually happens. Trickle down policies is not going to get the job done.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There are racists in this country. There are racists in EVERY country. I firmly believe this country is less racist than it has ever been and continues to try to make progress to make it a better place. Maybe that's blind optimism, but I don't think today's youth, especially, gives a flying crap what color anyone is. I certainly don't.

And, I'm sorry, but I agree that police officers aren't waking up planning to kill anyone, regardless of color, on any day they are going to work. It's the last thing they want to do. Do people make bad decisions under pressure? Certainly. People are far from perfect and some of those decisions will cost dearly. It will never be as good as it should be.

It may never be as good as it should be. The problem is the act of trying to make progress towards improving things is being met by extreme resistance by those who need to evolve. No amount of death should be acceptable, even if it may be inevitable. A cop shouldn't have to feel scared for their life if they pull someone over a night anymore than a black kid should fear for his life when he sees flashing lights in his rear view mirror. The difference is one of those people is a member of an organization with tremendous power and is desperately trying to keep the status quo.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The thing that gets me is that when these discussions happen in the media, everyone always brings up that it is an election year and it is important to vote.

I would like to say that EVERY YEAR is an election year and deciding who is President of the country is not going to change how local police officials operate. If that was the case, I would think that the previous President would have done something to address it, but he really can't.

The best thing I heard yesterday was that the Bucks were having a call with local leaders, the Wisconsin AG being one of them. You want to make a change, that's a great person to contact when it comes down to it. The others would be the Mayor of Kenosha, the police chief, and possibly the Governor of Wisconsin

Hopefully, the best thing to come out of all of this is that people understand who is responsible for addressing these issues and not that anyone has to wait 4 years to make a change. The change can happen every year, not just when the person in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is decided.

Maybe people will understand civics and how things works and where change actually happens. Trickle down policies is not going to get the job done.
I think a hero worship is a huge problem in society currently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad