Confirmed with Link: #NHLJets agree to terms with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff on a contract extension

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Last year I might have agreed with you, but I think Clitty's finding a new groove here that he hasn't been able to get into previously. I enjoyed watching him play with Buff the other day.

EDIT: Meant to quote WJG!

Lol, I was confused about where we disagreed.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
He has done a professional job and I have no problem with the organization letting him see his plan through for a few more years.... Congrats Chevy

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'm a huge Chevy fan, so I am glad he is around for even longer. While we cannot completely evaluate his draft day effectiveness, I believe that it will come to pass that he has performed very well.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think, regardless of your feelings about Chevy, it's a strange time to re-up a 5-year deal. It's month 27 of a 60 month contract. I like the drafting so far, from what we've seen, and Seto and Frolik look like good moves...but we've seen almost nothing at the NHL level from what most would consider Chevy's best moves (the aforementioned draft picks and Seto/Frolik). I just can't objectively understand this...

Players brought in by Chevy since June 2011:
(* = No longer with team)
Kyle Wellwood*
Tanner Glass*
Eric Fehr*
Antti Miettinen*
Mark Flood*
Randy Jones*
Grant Clitsome
Derek Meech*
Brett MacLean*
Aaron Gagnon*
Kenndal McArdle*
Ollie Jokinen
Alexei Ponikarovsky*
James Wright
Anthony Peluso

Mike Santorelli*
Al Montoya
Devon Setoguchi
Michael Frolik

Players not brought in by Chevy who are no longer with team:
(** = Thrashers who didn't make it to Winnipeg)
Anthony Stewart**
Eric Boulton**
Freddy Meyer**
Andrey Zubarev**
Radek Dvorak**
Tim Stapleton
Peter Mannino
Chris Mason
Johnny Oduya
Brett Festerling
Arturs Kulda
Nik Antropov
Ron Hainsey
Alex Burmistrov

Like I said the drafting has looked good, but we've seen all of 11 games from Chevy-drafted prospects (Scheifele - 11GP-1G-0A).

It's weird, isn't it?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Like I said the drafting has looked good, but we've seen all of 11 games from Chevy-drafted prospects (Scheifele - 11GP-1G-0A).

It's weird, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the ownership is happy with the trajectory of the team. Waiting for the positive end result will mean putting Chevy in a position where he will be will holding all the cards and will most certainly be on the short list for some pretty big name teams. Then it will be tough to compete for his services. Obviously, if his efforts fall short it will be viewed as an error on Chipman's part.

Doing the safe thing isn't always the best course and great business people have to have the foresight and confidence in their skills to make forward looking decisions based on many factors. The Jets owners are serious people and imo this is a great move. Worst case scenario is they have to buy out a few years of his contract and start over. Best case scenario...........parade down Portage Ave!

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Same reason you extend young core players - you think he will be more than worth it in a few years. If Chipman thinks Chevy is an upcoming star GM, then keep him happy and lock him up so you don't lose him.

It is pretty rare for a young core player to be extended less than half way through an ELC, especially if they haven't been amazingly productive.

Chevy's price tag wasn't going to go through the roof in a year unless the Jets won the cup and they aren't even sure if this is a playoff team

As I said, I don't really care - I don't see it as a big issue - I just don't buy that as a reason. I do see some goodness in it - if it potentially helps Chevy will make a hard decision on Noel or Pav.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wasn't a Chevy fan at first but I like what he has done and where this team is now headed. A lot forget he didn't have a lot to work with in terms of decent drafted picks when he took over and he was saddled with a lot of suspect talent.

Was hoping he would have moved the mini D man by now but the returns are probably negligible.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Well it's not just a raise, it means he'll (likely) be around for an additional two years.
So I think most fans should care :dunno:

he can be fired at any point. even tomorrow.
so, i repeat: it isn't your money, so why care about the extension?

a GM realistically needs 4-5 seasons for their body of work to be evaluated. the extension takes him to that frame.
there is zero reason to terminate him at the end of this season regardless of the results.
the earliest he'd be terminated would be at the end of the 2014-15 season. even that would arguably be too early.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yep. Plenty of reasons to care.

Fans should care who the GM is and what kind of work they are doing. Plus wasted money (if he were to be fired) would need to be recouped and fans pay those bills.

incorrect.
that's generally an operating expense. you plan for every coach and every GM to eventually get fired.
the goal is to not terminate them with a lot of term left on their contract. use Noel's contract as an example.
you've now given a GM time to implement a 5 year plan, which shows the club's professionalism and patience.
players clearly don't have Chevy since the core re-signed versus pulling a Burmistrov.
a player gets the feeling that something good is happening here, versus feeling that the franchise is in shambles.

i fail to see much negative about extending him. it is much deserved and the fruits of his labour will be seen over the next 3 years.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
incorrect.
that's generally an operating expense. you plan for every coach and every GM to eventually get fired.
the goal is to not terminate them with a lot of term left on their contract. use Noel's contract as an example.
you've now given a GM time to implement a 5 year plan, which shows the club's professionalism and patience.
players clearly don't have Chevy since the core re-signed versus pulling a Burmistrov.
a player gets the feeling that something good is happening here, versus feeling that the franchise is in shambles.

i fail to see much negative about extending him. it is much deserved and the fruits of his labour will be seen over the next 3 years.

Incorrect.

Denying a relationship between expenses (budgeted or not) and ticket prices is incorrect. Fans play the bills.

As for the fruits of Chevy's labour - we may see thise within the next three years... or the tree may die.

I am not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Denying the possibility that things don't go well is silly.

Again, I am not bent about the signing. I am not anti-Chevy, but it is possible that all doesn't go well. If things don't go well then there is a downside.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Incorrect.

Denying a relationship between expenses (budgeted or not) and ticket prices is incorrect. Fans play the bills.

As for the fruits of Chevy's labour - we may see thise within the next three years... or the tree may die.

I am not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Denying the possibility that things don't go well is silly.

Again, I am not bent about the signing. I am not anti-Chevy, but it is possible that all doesn't go well. If things don't go well then there is a downside.

if you want to fret about the Chevy contract, then fret about him possibly overpaying each of the RFAs by $500 000. Because the fans are paying for that, I guess, and it all adds up.

but you're also not fretting about our coach being one of the lowest paid coaches in the league which, in theory, is saving fans money, right?

if an organization is run properly, you can't wrinkle your brow at something such as this extension. you should fret about what Vancouver may have done by spending a lot of money on Torts and possibly canning him 1-2 years into his contract. or the Leafs and what they did with Burke, Wilson and then hiring (and expensive) Randy and extending Nonnis. Chevy's extension's a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. it won't make or break the team.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
if you want to fret about the Chevy contract, then fret about him possibly overpaying each of the RFAs by $500 000. Because the fans are paying for that, I guess, and it all adds up.

but you're also not fretting about our coach being one of the lowest paid coaches in the league which, in theory, is saving fans money, right?

if an organization is run properly, you can't wrinkle your brow at something such as this extension. you should fret about what Vancouver may have done by spending a lot of money on Torts and possibly canning him 1-2 years into his contract. or the Leafs and what they did with Burke, Wilson and then hiring (and expensive) Randy and extending Nonnis. Chevy's extension's a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. it won't make or break the team.

I never claimed it was a big deal. I have stated repeatedly that I don't really care...

I am just saying that there is some possible downside and denying it is kinds odd.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I never claimed it was a big deal. I have stated repeatedly that I don't really care...

I am just saying that there is some possible downside and denying it is kinds odd.

I guess people don't want to hear negativity all the time which does happen a lot on these boards.

Kind of like getting up in the morning and saying "Hey looks like a great day" only to have someone across from you say "Well you might die today because you could get hit by a bus".

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

See your point Truck, but as a Season Ticket holder, I do care.

I love the fact that an organization (and/or Mark Chipman & David Thomson) are prepared to work with people - determine who is "good" and who they feels fits their mold - and commit to them long term.

As sports fans who have lived through the debacle with the team that plays at IGF, my opinion is that this sends a message to everyone - fans and players alike - that this guy is going to be here, and we are invested in getting there together. I like it for many reasons, and like the culture they are trying to build.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I'm happy. Chevy seems to have done a decent job building the talent pool for the future. He also seems patient and not prone to knee jerk reactionary moves.

As to the timing and why... perhaps others around the league have noticed the building job he has done and have started to sniff around? With rumored expansion coming in another 2-3 years perhaps TN was worried about him being seen as a great guy to start a team with and wanted to lock him up past that point.

Or they just really really like him :)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

you're 100% correct that there may be a downside. just like there being a downside to signing Trouba last year vs letting him play NCAA for another year, downside to all the contract extensions, etc...

you're like the Eeyor of this board. :laugh:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

this is my thing. Agree'd it's not anything i'm giong to lose my **** over, but i just don't really get it.

In approximately 10 months, we will be able to judge all of chevies moves with a considerably higher level of clarity. You would then still be able to extend chevy without looking like you "had" to (that time would be during the 4th year).

I get showing loyalty, and agreeing with the vision, etc etc etc, I just don't see any reason why this needed to be done this off-season when it could have been done next year with considerably more information.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I guess people don't want to hear negativity all the time which does happen a lot on these boards.

Kind of like getting up in the morning and saying "Hey looks like a great day" only to have someone across from you say "Well you might die today because you could get hit by a bus".

I didn't think I was being negative. I didn't poo poo the deal, just said I don't get the timing.

IMO Chevy's grade on the hockey side of things is: Incomplete

That is 100% of my thoughts on the matter - other talk was conceptual.

#CaptainNegativity

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
you're 100% correct that there may be a downside. just like there being a downside to signing Trouba last year vs letting him play NCAA for another year, downside to all the contract extensions, etc...

you're like the Eeyor of this board. :laugh:

I am not sad though.

I am not down on the signing.

I just asked why.

I am Eeyor because I want to ponder the why?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Four of those five were inked as RFAs. To me their return was never in doubt.

True, but they are all long-term deals. I'm guessing that, if any of these players didn't have confidence in Chevy, they wouldn't stay longer than they have to.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
this is my thing. Agree'd it's not anything i'm giong to lose my **** over, but i just don't really get it.

In approximately 10 months, we will be able to judge all of chevies moves with a considerably higher level of clarity. You would then still be able to extend chevy without looking like you "had" to (that time would be during the 4th year).

I get showing loyalty, and agreeing with the vision, etc etc etc, I just don't see any reason why this needed to be done this off-season when it could have been done next year with considerably more information.

Grind, you are brilliant! In this post you just summed up both not understanding why - and understanding why.

The way I see it, Mark Chipman works with Kevin Cheveldayoff every day for the past 2 and 1/2 years. He evaluates the person, the team that he assembles around him (Zinger, Simmons, Roy, Keane, etc.) and determines that based upon what Chevy has proposed and where they are at - and decides (with David Thomson) that this is our guy, and we extend him now to match all of the players we decided were core/key.

In 10 months, Chevy will be able to judge all of Chevy's moves with clarity - figure out which ones were right, which ones were wrong, and which ones they have to to give more time - and adjust from there. This move reeks of loyalty, and TNSE believing that this is the right guy to "make it right", even when he misses.

Sorry for the long rant...love the discussion!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm on board with this one. Nothing leads to the spinning of a team's wheels more than a new regime change. Every new GM gets a year or two grace period an we just got out of that with Chevy. It's time to reap the rewards of that patience in the next 3-4 years.

It's not like Chipman couldn't fire him after another year or two anyway if **** really went sour.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

I think the message is clearly that TNSE will not judge him 10 months hence, at least not based on short-term results. Chevy has the security of knowing he can now make bold moves, eg, trading someone beloved on the team for a high pick and a great prospect --even if our short term record suffers--so long as the longer term future continues to unfold according to plan.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Negativity? It's like a Chevy Knob Polishing Contest in here! There's maybe 3 or 4 of us not playing... :laugh:

I think a more apt analogy would be: it's like getting up in the morning, seeing some overcast but the temperature is alright - it looks like it might be a very nice day after lunch, but it could also end up raining all afternoon...and based on that observation, extending the weather for the rest of the week!

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think the message is clearly that TNSE will not judge him 10 months hence, at least not based on short-term results. Chevy has the security of knowing he can now make bold moves, eg, trading someone beloved on the team for a high pick and a great prospect --even if our short term record suffers--so long as the longer term future continues to unfold according to plan.

^This is spot on.^

It may take near to the end of Chevy's (initial) deal until the fruits of the drafting strategy become more apparent. It would be silly to judge their patient draft and develop strategy at the end of year three or four; the only people that want to do so are a few bloggers working the overly-negative shtick and also impatient fans. Managers that are executing a long-term plan don't think that way however. The best route for this franchise in this location is to mainly draft and develop in-house. Yesterday Chipman admitted that they may struggle this season, but added that won't change their planning one bit. The route to success is to formulate a good plan and to then stick to and work that plan through to fruition.

"We have a long- term plan and it's not about getting to the playoffs once. It's about going on a consistent basis and hopefully winning a championship." - Chipman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad