Confirmed with Link: #NHLJets agree to terms with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff on a contract extension

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have no issue with the extension, and we are technically just finishing up the off season, so if you are going to extend him... might as well do it know and be done with it.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Players talk extension

Bogosian-talking-to-Coach-Noel-at-practice-300x200.jpg

Zach Bogosian - Thoughts on the Chevy extension. Team has a sense of direction. Important for players to know that leadership is in place? Talk about this season. Ranking of the top defencemen, does he pay attention? Need to improve team defence. Thoughts on Pavelec. Buff's hit.

Andrew Ladd - Thoughts on the Chevy extension. What kind of GM is he? Everyone locked up long term. Pressure or comfort with core locked up?

Blake Wheeler - Thoughts on the Chevy extension (and the mindset of team ownership). Does commitment show a belief in core group of players?

To listen click here.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Am guessing the ownership reviewed his initial deal and came to the realization that they probably signed him to a cheap ticket (relative to the league median) - given that it was his first shot at the NHL GM chair. They probably offered him a good bump in both salary and term, to essentially reward a senior and trusted employee. Am not surprised by the timing at all; renegotiated deals are pretty standard stuff at that level. If anything, it sends a message that they are a strong organization with an entrenched leadership group.

Judging by what Chipman just said in his presser it sounds like pretty much this. From that perspective its a good move. The organization is trust-worthy and above board. Gotta like that...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
He's locked up a pretty good core (Little, Wheeler, Kane, Enstrom, Bogo). Seems well deserved.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
No complaints.
Chevy has done well. Stability at the top is important and I'm comfortable with Chevy leading the way.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
nice.
he will now have the confidence to trade Jokinen for a piece of belly button lint and not phear the reprecussions

bazaaa*

Bogosian-talking-to-Coach-Noel-at-practice-300x200.jpg

Zach Bogosian - Thoughts on the Chevy extension. Team has a sense of direction. Important for players to know that leadership is in place? Talk about this season. Ranking of the top defencemen, does he pay attention? Need to improve team defence. Thoughts on Pavelec. Buff's hit.

Andrew Ladd - Thoughts on the Chevy extension. What kind of GM is he? Everyone locked up long term. Pressure or comfort with core locked up?

Blake Wheeler - Thoughts on the Chevy extension (and the mindset of team ownership). Does commitment show a belief in core group of players?

To listen click here.

I undertsand this is from 1290, but is there any way to get your interviews transcribed? I'd rather just read their interviews than audio.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He's locked up a pretty good core (Little, Wheeler, Kane, Enstrom, Bogo). Seems well deserved.

Four of those five were inked as RFAs. To me their return was never in doubt.

We also know nothing about how these guys will play under their new deals.

I have no real opinion on Chevy, because he hasn't really proven to be good or bad at anything yet.

Draft picks mostly look good, but have combined for 11 NHL games.

I am not sure why you extend a guy with so much term left, but it really doesn't matter.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So did they extend him 2 years through the end of the 2017-18 season, or did they just give him a raise for the rest of his current contract term (to the end of 2015-16)?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
seems like a very odd move, if it's an extension. I don't really have a problem with it, but I feel the jury's still out on him. But with 3 years remaining in the contract I don't see what would've hurt to let at least this year play out and evaluate next summer.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Am guessing the ownership reviewed his initial deal and came to the realization that they probably signed him to a cheap ticket (relative to the league median) - given that it was his first shot at the NHL GM chair. They probably offered him a good bump in both salary and term, to essentially reward a senior and trusted employee. Am not surprised by the timing at all; renegotiated deals are pretty standard stuff at that level. If anything, it sends a message that they are a strong organization with an entrenched leadership group.

I also agree with this assessment and am pleased with the move. He is approaching the half-way mark of his contract and has done a great job IMO, even though the results may not be evident for a year or two. The message here is also that TNSE is invested in long-term, sustainable success and is not going to measure Chevy's performance using short-term metrics. This will allow him to bring the likes of Trouba along slowly (as he has done with Scheif) without worrying about pressure from above to win today.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well it's not just a raise, it means he'll (likely) be around for an additional two years.
So I think most fans should care :dunno:

Yep. Plenty of reasons to care.

Fans should care who the GM is and what kind of work they are doing. Plus wasted money (if he were to be fired) would need to be recouped and fans pay those bills.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Four of those five were inked as RFAs. To me their return was never in doubt.

We also know nothing about how these guys will play under their new deals.

I have no real opinion on Chevy, because he hasn't really proven to be good or bad at anything yet.

Draft picks mostly look good, but have combined for 11 NHL games.

I am not sure why you extend a guy with so much term left, but it really doesn't matter.

Same reason you extend young core players - you think he will be more than worth it in a few years. If Chipman thinks Chevy is an upcoming star GM, then keep him happy and lock him up so you don't lose him.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Same reason you extend young core players - you think he will be more than worth it in a few years. If Chipman thinks Chevy is an upcoming star GM, then keep him happy and lock him up so you don't lose him.

What percentage of GMs choose to leave their current jobs?? :help:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This is pretty much how I see it. Chipman is all about loyalty, stability and sticking to the long term plan. Chevy is doing exactly what he was hired to do. Now he can stay patient and continue with the blueprint.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I have no issue with resigning Clitsome.
I liked the signing.

Last year I might have agreed with you, but I think Clitty's finding a new groove here that he hasn't been able to get into previously. I enjoyed watching him play with Buff the other day.

EDIT: Meant to quote WJG!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad