Confirmed with Link: #NHLJets agree to terms with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff on a contract extension

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Chevy-at-draft-300x169.jpg

Jets Release here.

Presser at 12:30 pm today.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
I like this move a lot. If you look at the most successful sports franchises usually the one thing they have in common is continuity, you have to give guys time to execute their plan and I'm glad TNSE is doing so.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I like this move a lot. If you look at the most successful sports franchises usually the one thing they have in common is continuity, you have to give guys time to execute their plan and I'm glad TNSE is doing so.

I like it too, but the timing is a bit strange. He's no where near the end of his first contract - even extending him at the end of the year wouldn't have put him on a lame duck trajectory.

Anyway: good for him, and I agree that continuity is a good thing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's a vote of confidence to Chevy and a message to Noel at the same time. They're saying that if the team fails this year it will not fall on Chevy.

jetkarma*

Love the extension. IMO it is well deserved and provides continuity and stability for the franchise.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a vote of confidence to Chevy and a message to Noel at the same time. They're saying that if the team fails this year it will not fall on Chevy.

This. It does seem a bit early, but maybe it's just a message to Chevy letting him know that he'll have the time to fully implement his team and let his core grow - no need to panic and go into 'win now' mode to save his job. Again, it's early even for that, but that's what this says to me.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The positive with this is it relieves the win now and short term thinking, allowing Chevy to stick to the long term plan.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This. It does seem a bit early, but maybe it's just a message to Chevy letting him know that he'll have the time to fully implement his team and let his core grow - no need to panic and go into 'win now' mode to save his job. Again, it's early even for that, but that's what this says to me.

I agree with this. This is Chevy's boat now, and he hasn't steered the ship into an iceberg yet. I fully support the extension.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As far as Chevy is concerned, its all about Chevy. I'm guessing he asked for the extension. I like the job he's done so far, but I'm not sure I agree with the extension at this point.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
gary lawless @garylawless 11m

Keep in mind - management contracts not restricted by spc rules players live under. Chipman and Chevy could ripped old deal up #nhljets #bn

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Am guessing the ownership reviewed his initial deal and came to the realization that they probably signed him to a cheap ticket (relative to the league median) - given that it was his first shot at the NHL GM chair. They probably offered him a good bump in both salary and term, to essentially reward a senior and trusted employee. Am not surprised by the timing at all; renegotiated deals are pretty standard stuff at that level. If anything, it sends a message that they are a strong organization with an entrenched leadership group.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
1) He drafted Scheifele who has yet to hit 40 goals
2) He drafted Trouba who has yet to win a Norris
3) He did not trade all of our draft picks at the last trade deadline

I just don't get how Chevy's "Build through the draft" attitude falls in line with the ownerships vision.

All kidding/jackassery aside, love the extension. Chevy has yet to fail in my eyes. Signing like Jokinen are great to point out in hindsight but it was still a good singing at the time.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

continuity of failure is not something anyone should support.

Totally disagree that he needs anymore time to "execute his plan".

If your plan takes more then five years, you better end up the detroit redwings and not miss the playoffs for 20 strait.

I dislike this move, and I've been pretty supportive of Chevy. It makes no sense. Nothing has improved on this team besides the "depth" and even that, only on paper. We don't' actually know if any of these prospects we've 'restocked" with will actually amount to anything.

This was a move that should've waited till after this season. We would start to see the "busts" and "homeruns" of the first draft (thus giving us a true measure of success there), and we would know wether the players Chevy acquired actually improved this team (Frolik, Halischuk, Setoguchi). Also, it would give him the first "real" season to make moves if things weren't going well (trading players, switching coaches, etc).

It doesn't make sense. All moves Chevy has made have essentially been targeted at taking effect this year, why on earth would you extend him before you know if they've even been remotely succesfull?

Again, I like chevy. I like what he's doing. But this is a pretty illogical contract extension IMO.

This, and Noels statement on Jokinens "chemistry" are two things that i do not agree with and I will not give management,personnel,ownership a free ride on.

No the sky isn't falling, and you can always cut bait if it doesn't work, but it just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: didn't see this
ry lawless @garylawless 11m

Keep in mind - management contracts not restricted by spc rules players live under. Chipman and Chevy could ripped old deal up #nhljets #bn

If that's the case then it's understandable. I guess we should wait until we hear the details. But if it was just an extension beyond the next two years, I don't like it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well Gregory just called in to 1290 and he doesn't like the move so I'm pretty sure TN has made a good decision here. :)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like what Chevy has done, for the most part, so I'm happy for Chevy and his extension.

I like the show of support and loyalty by TNSE. Shows stability.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Am guessing the ownership reviewed his initial deal and came to the realization that they probably signed him to a cheap ticket (relative to the league median) - given that it was his first shot at the NHL GM chair. They probably offered him a good bump in both salary and term, to essentially reward a senior and trusted employee. Am not surprised by the timing at all; renegotiated deals are pretty standard stuff at that level. If anything, it sends a message that they are a strong organization with an entrenched leadership group.

I agree with this assessment.

Everything was pretty hectic in June of 2011 and True North may have been on the low end on his contract. True North and Chevy probably had a hand shake agreement when he was hired to review his contract at the end of 2 years......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad