Confirmed with Link: #NHLJets agree to terms with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff on a contract extension

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
^This is spot on.^

It may take near to the end of Chevy's (initial) deal until the fruits of the drafting strategy become more apparent. It would be silly to judge their patient draft and develop strategy at the end of year three or four; the only people that want to do so are a few bloggers working the overly-negative shtick and also impatient fans. Managers that are executing a long-term plan don't think that way however. The best route for this franchise in this location is to mainly draft and develop in-house. Yesterday Chipman admitted that they may struggle this season, but added that won't change their planning one bit. The route to success is to formulate a good plan and to then stick to and work that plan through to fruition.

"We have a long- term plan and it's not about getting to the playoffs once. It's about going on a consistent basis and hopefully winning a championship." - Chipman
I agree with you about timelines, patience and continuity. They are all very important.

But...

Didn't Chip say he has already judged the draft and develop strategy? He mentioned that as a plus for Cheveldayoff and a reason for the extension.

I really don't mind the extension at all, and if it makes Chevy more comfortable making difficult decisions that is a win IMO.

If things don't go well this year I could see Chevy having to make a few tough decisions on the horizon.

Chevy could he have to make a hard decision on:
  • Whether or not to trade of a fan favorite defender.
  • Whether or not to fire a charismatic coach.
  • Whether or not to buy out a fan favorite goalie.

There are surely many more possibilities. If this help with those decisions, I see that as a plus.

Hopefully Chevy's plan is a good one.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Didn't Chip say he has already judged the draft and develop strategy? He mentioned that as a plus for Cheveldayoff and a reason for the extension.

I didn't say that Chipman hadn't judged the strategy, so am unsure of your point as such; of course he has. He has been privy to and a part of their planning since day one. What I conversely said was that it is silly of some bloggers and others to prejudge that strategy prior to allowing it to run its course. I was referring to folks specifically like your blog partner Ryan Blight, who has in the recent past continually advocated panic moves (such as trading picks at the deadline to acquire a big name rental, or to engage in a full rebuild), things that clearly run counter to what those enacting the current plan are trying to accomplish.

Now at some point they will switch gears and make those sort of moves for rentals when they are comfortable with their depth, and they've stated exactly that in the past. The point being that it seems naive to prejudge their plan prior to allowing it to run its full course, though that doesn't stop some (like Arby/Ryan Blight) from trying, apparently. The timing of the extension isn't really strange or questionable at all to those that have actually done any management or running of a business; in fact, it represents an astute ownership giving his manager the time needed to fully implement his strategic planning.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I didn't say that Chipman hadn't judged the strategy, so am unsure of your point as such; of course he has. He has been privy to and a part of their planning since day one. What I conversely said was that it is silly of some bloggers and others to prejudge that strategy prior to allowing it to run it course. I was referring to folks specifically like your blog partner Ryan Blight, who has in the recent past continually advocated panic moves (such as trading picks at the deadline to acquire a big name rental, or to engage in a full rebuild), things that clearly run counter to what those enacting the current plan are trying to accomplish.

Now at some point they will switch gears and make those sort of moves for rentals when they are comfortable with their depth, and they've stated exactly that in the past. The point being that it seems naive to prejudge their plan prior to allowing it to run its full course, though that doesn't stop some (like Arby/Ryan Blight) from trying, apparently. The timing of the extension isn't really strange or questionable at all to those that have actually done any management or running of a business; in fact, it represents an astute ownership giving his manager the time needed to fully implement his strategic planning.

Blight have never advocated picking up a big name rental. He has long wanted the team to trade away their big names and bottom out for the 1st overall pick.

I don't agree with him, but to each their own and he isn't alone.

All I was saying is:

I think the message is clearly that TNSE will not judge him 10 months, at least not based on short-term results.

...which you agreed with.

...is kinda funny when paired with the fact that they already judged him as extension worthy based on short term results.

I generally agree with your assessment of the situation though.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
My point seems to be missed here.

There is no logical argument for opting to not look at all available information before making a decision. The "pat on the back" about expectations this year could be achieved through a conversation.

This decision is fine ( or it could backfire) but the point is the org arbitrarily handicapped itself by making that decision now as opposed to the end of the season.

we would be seeing a first hand testament of Chevies pro-scouting/player acquisition skills/assesments, which even in a "draft and develop" strategy is 100% necessary. No team has ever built itself exclusively from draft picks.

Chipmen and Co had an opportunity to gain more information, with absolutely no consequence before making this decision and they didn't.

that's my only issue. it has nothing to do with big trades and pressure to win, and it's not even a big issue. I just dislike maximizing what seem to be obvious situations.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I can see Chevy here for 8-10+ yrs. In my own world, I see this move as a reminder to fans that ownership supports Chevy's approach fully, whether we struggle this year or not.

I don't expect playoffs this year, but I hope for them.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
...is kinda funny when paired with the fact that they already judged him as extension worthy based on short term results.

You are misconstruing my use of the term judgment; let us instead say that TNSE have endorsed Chevy and his planning and have given him the time to allow his plan to run its course. Those passing prejudgement are some bloggers who rely on an overly-negative shtick, like Ryan Blight for example. That he isn't alone in his opinion means little. There are people that understand how to implement a plan and run a business and there are others who think they know differently. I'll defer to the people who are actually running and operating the business versus an armchair that thinks they know better; the armchair critic has no real skin in the game.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You are misconstruing my use of the term judgment; let us instead say that TNSE have endorsed Chevy and his planning and have given him the time to allow his plan to run its course. Those passing prejudgement are some bloggers who rely on an overly-negative shtick, like Ryan Blight for example. That he isn't alone in his opinion means little. There are people that understand how to implement a plan and run a business and there are others who think they know differently. I'll defer to the people who are actually running and operating the business versus an armchair that thinks they know better; the armchair critic has no real skin in the game.

Meh. I was clear on what you were saying, but not everybody chooses to defer when they talk about what they see.

Some people like what they see, some don't. Talking about what they would like, what they dislike and what they would like to see is largely why places like this exist.

As for Ryan, I don't think it is a shtick. He is actually less than impressed by Chevy on the whole.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My point seems to be missed here.

There is no logical argument for opting to not look at all available information before making a decision. The "pat on the back" about expectations this year could be achieved through a conversation.

This decision is fine ( or it could backfire) but the point is the org arbitrarily handicapped itself by making that decision now as opposed to the end of the season.

we would be seeing a first hand testament of Chevies pro-scouting/player acquisition skills/assesments, which even in a "draft and develop" strategy is 100% necessary. No team has ever built itself exclusively from draft picks.

Chipmen and Co had an opportunity to gain more information, with absolutely no consequence before making this decision and they didn't.

that's my only issue. it has nothing to do with big trades and pressure to win, and it's not even a big issue. I just dislike maximizing what seem to be obvious situations.

Grind I respect your opinion and I am not missing your point at all. You have laid out very compelling reasons why TNSE could have waited so let me take a run at “why” a smart guy like Mark would make this move in the spring of 2013 (that is when he began the negotiation) only 24 months after hiring Chevy??

background:

Mark's relationship with Kevin goes back to the IHL days and into the AHL days so he had a pretty good working knowledge of his competitor back then. The Moose got to watch first hand as Kevin built and led teams to championships 4 times that kicked their teeth in for 10 plus years. Fast forward to the spring of 2011 and TNSE land the Thrashers and based on a very strong recommendation from Zinger, Chevy is put on the ultra short list of candidates for the Jets GM job. Chevy (allegedly) was runner up to GM Dan for the Phoenix job so he was probably on the cusp of becoming a GM at some point with or without us so this hire was not a huge reach IMHO. The hire made sense to TNSE at the time because they were an up and coming organization who hired an up and coming GM that was a prairie boy with a track record of success at every level. Mark was looking long term with this hire since a then 41 year old with a pedigree of championships would have at least a quarter century of good years ahead of him based on the ages of other GM’s “IF” he was the right hire.

Time on job:

Unlike the fans Mark has had a chance to live with Chevy since the hire (so his sample size Chevy's of actions and interactions is huge).......he has had chance to be with him in daily meetings and had a chance to be with him as Chevy and TNSE have encountered a firestorm of situations. They have been through 3 drafts together. He has seen the good calls and the bad calls and how Chevy has reacted to everything. Over 700 plus days of being locked at the hip Mark has heard the vision and observed the action steps to support it and he doesn't feel he "needs to gain more information". Mark is an astute guy and has needed to make calls on management all his life and for him he believes this was a big enough sample size. Mark believes in the man he has hired and understands that results could vary over this season for allot of reasons but he feels completely confident that the guy they hired to steer the ship is the right guy long term.

The logic appears to be that Mark is convinced that Chevy is the right guy and although he could wait he has chosen to pull the trigger before he had to so that he could create the organizational stability he desires that is all part of the vision they want to portray internally and externally. Acting before you have to has led people to ask why which in and of itself doesn’t just sent a message………it sends it LOUD AND CLEAR.

Now Mark is loyal to a fault and maybe it will backfire in this case. Mark believes “there are no shortcuts” and Chevy is his guy and he’s going to get a chance to take the time he needs to build teams to not only get in the playoffs but "compete for championships" (plural).

I hope he is right

Last edited:

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Grind I respect your opinion and I am not missing your point at all. You have laid out very compelling reasons why TNSE could have waited so let me take a run at “why†a smart guy like Mark would make this move in the spring of 2013 (that is when he began the negotiation) only 24 months after hiring Chevy??

background:

Mark's relationship with Kevin goes back to the IHL days and into the AHL days so he had a pretty good working knowledge of his competitor back then. The Moose got to watch first hand as Kevin built and led teams to championships 4 times that kicked their teeth in for 10 plus years. Fast forward to the spring of 2011 and TNSE land the Thrashers and based on a very strong recommendation from Zinger, Chevy is put on the ultra short list of candidates for the Jets GM job. Chevy (allegedly) was runner up to GM Dan for the Phoenix job so he was probably on the cusp of becoming a GM at some point with or without us so this hire was not a huge reach IMHO. The hire made sense to TNSE at the time because they were an up and coming organization who hired an up and coming GM that was a prairie boy with a track record of success at every level. Mark was looking long term with this hire since a then 41 year old with a pedigree of championships would have at least a quarter century of good years ahead of him based on the ages of other GM’s “IF†he was the right hire.

Time on job:

Unlike the fans Mark has had a chance to live with Chevy since the hire (so his sample size Chevy's of actions and interactions is huge).......he has had chance to be with him in daily meetings and had a chance to be with him as Chevy and TNSE have encountered a firestorm of situations. They have been through 3 drafts together. He has seen the good calls and the bad calls and how Chevy has reacted to everything. Over 700 plus days of being locked at the hip Mark has heard the vision and observed the action steps to support it and he doesn't feel he "needs to gain more information". Mark is an astute guy and has needed to make calls on management all his life and for him he believes this was a big enough sample size. Mark believes in the man he has hired and understands that results could vary over this season for allot of reasons but he feels completely confident that the guy they hired to steer the ship is the right guy long term.

The logic appears to be that Mark is convinced that Chevy is the right guy and although he could wait he has chosen to pull the trigger before he had to so that he could create the organizational stability he desires that is all part of the vision they want to portray internally and externally. Acting before you have to has led people to ask why which in and of itself doesn’t just sent a message………it send it LOUD AND CLEAR.

Now Mark is loyal to a fault and maybe it will backfire in this case. Mark believes “there are no shortcuts†and Chevy is his guy and he’s going to get a chance to take the time he needs to build teams to not only get in the playoffs but compete for championships.

I hope he is right

This is a ridiculous post. It is almost like you understand business and building an organization or something.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Grind I respect your opinion and I am not missing your point at all. .....[snip]

This is a ridiculous post. It is almost like you understand business and building an organization or something.

agreed. no more posts for PS. his logic is too sound, he must be cheating.

In all seriousness, great insight and a good take. I suppose when you have the track record those two have together (which i' admit i don't think i quite understood the depth of the relationship) the extra year shakes out as small potatoes.

....but they still left knowledge on the table :P

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Waiting to make the decision to extend at season-end versus now is near meaningless. Chipman has essentially said they'll let the process play out over the seven-year period. He even said at the press conference yesterday that if they don't make the playoffs this season - it will not change or alter their planning one bit, so I'm unsure why anyone would think they'd make a different decision regarding the extension at that point, even with the added benefit of hindsight over that short period. Many of you are thinking like micro-managers versus seeing the bigger picture. The big picture is allowing the cycle to play out over a reasonable amount of time.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Waiting to make the decision to extend at season-end versus now is near meaningless. Chipman has essentially said they'll let the process play out over the seven-year period. He even said at the press conference yesterday that if they don't make the playoffs this season - it will not change or alter their planning one bit, so I'm unsure why anyone would think they'd make a different decision regarding the extension at that point, even with the added benefit of hindsight over that short period. Many of you are thinking like micro-managers versus seeing the bigger picture. The big picture is allowing the cycle to play out over a reasonable amount of time.

if frolic and halishuk and pooch did not mesh with this team, sxhiefele and everyone else from that draft regressed, and the team performs worse, I'd be upset if they extended hI'm. These are all possibilities

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
if frolic and halishuk and pooch did not mesh with this team, sxhiefele and everyone else from that draft regressed, and the team performs worse, I'd be upset if they extended hI'm. These are all possibilities

Well, now you don't need to worry about that because the GM will be in place regardless. I'd suggest that their view is much longer than your own anyway, is beyond this season, as evidenced by Chipman's comments that the results from this season won't change their planning one bit. Halischuk for example is likely just a seat-filler until one of the players they draft and/or develop in-house is ready to fill that spot. We are just at the beginning of Cheveldayoff's life-cycle here; players they've drafted are now just beginning to enter the system. We are in the infancy stages of the build.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
this years draft alone should make him deserving of the extension.

Morrissey, Petan, Comrie and Lodge will all be studs and should all be 1st/2nd rounders...

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well, now you don't need to worry about that because the GM will be in place regardless. I'd suggest that their view is much longer than your own anyway, is beyond this season, as evidenced by Chipman's comments that the results from this season won't change their planning one bit. Halischuk for example is likely just a seat-filler until one of the players they draft and/or develop in-house is ready to fill that spot. We are just at the beginning of Cheveldayoff's life-cycle here; players they've drafted are now just beginning to enter the system. We are in the infancy stages of the build.

BOLD: hahah... well you've got me there.

While I suppose it's true about them clearly not being too concerned about results after this season, that does bother me some. I don't consider myself an "impatient" fan, and i'm generally supportive of what chevies done, but at some point they need to see a tangible benefit. I personally would have hoped to have seen SOME of that before any extension was signed (which i feel we will undoubtedly see this season)

A failure to acquire players who improve the team (seto, hali, frolik - place holders or not), and a failure to turn draft picks into average/above average rewards is not a tangible benefit.

I get that they probably wouldn't have behaved any differently regarding the outcome of the season, but despite commitments to long term/loyalty, etc (which i do totally understand), i'd like to see accountability to the on ice product at some point factor in.

We're not privy to "the plan" so i'm sure they've got good reasons (especially considering the depth of the relationship between chevy and chipmen- which i was unaware of).

but i still don't think offering the extension now has any benefit over next off-season, from a purely logical perspective.

On the flip side as Truck mentioned, this does put Chevy i n a better position to make decisions on two key pieces to this (Noel and Pavelec) this off season depending on how the season plays out- which i guess has to be seen as a benefit.

I've talked myself in circles at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad