Nhl.tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

When did HS actually go down? Anyone have anymore info on what finally did them in? They really had an impressive run considering the breadth and quality of offerings along with all the features (much closer to live than GCL, for example).

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
For me GCL was way better, I only watch the games the day (or days) after, and with GCL all the commercial breaks were cut out, now I have to skip it every time (but with Kodi is really easy).
Also the quality was a little bit better on GCL, they booth are 720p50 but maybe they used a different codec.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
When did HS actually go down? Anyone have anymore info on what finally did them in? They really had an impressive run considering the breadth and quality of offerings along with all the features (much closer to live than GCL, for example).

The went down the same day the new NHL website and nhl.tv was launched. Im sure the nhl got their lawyers involved and sent some litigation to scare the hell out of them to shut it down immediately

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The went down the same day the new NHL website and nhl.tv was launched. Im sure the nhl got their lawyers involved and sent some litigation to scare the hell out of them to shut it down immediately

I Can't stand the new NHL.com site. Harder to navigate.

Was way easier when all teams were as ducks in a row at the top.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For me GCL was way better, I only watch the games the day (or days) after, and with GCL all the commercial breaks were cut out, now I have to skip it every time (but with Kodi is really easy).
Also the quality was a little bit better on GCL, they booth are 720p50 but maybe they used a different codec.

Really? There have been some glitches with NHL.tv that they might work out, but the quality is way better on NHL.tv for me.

And as someone who watches the games the night of most of the time, it’s way easier to skip the commercials with NHL.tv. You can fast forward like most normal DVR’s, DVD’s, etc. GCL you could only skip 4-5 minutes at a time. So if you skipped the commercials, you were going to miss a couple minutes of game time. Very annoying.

I Can't stand the new NHL.com site. Harder to navigate.

Was way easier when all teams were as ducks in a row at the top.

That's definitely true. Wonder what their reasoning for getting rid of that was.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Really? There have been some glitches with NHL.tv that they might work out, but the quality is way better on NHL.tv for me.

And as someone who watches the games the night of most of the time, it’s way easier to skip the commercials with NHL.tv. You can fast forward like most normal DVR’s, DVD’s, etc. GCL you could only skip 4-5 minutes at a time. So if you skipped the commercials, you were going to miss a couple minutes of game time. Very annoying.
On GCL I didn't need to skip commercial, they were cut out by the time I watched the game. And the quality I said a little better, for me GCL HD at 60fps was perfect, now it's pretty good too, but it's just a feeling (but maybe it's just the hate for NHL.tv).

NeonKnight

Nov 14, 2008
Just picked this up recently. I'm out of market, so need streaming for the Pens. Overall, it's not bad. Watching on a 65-inch screen, the quality is not as good as HS, but not terrible. Also, there is some slight stuttering now and then, but nothing major. I'm running it through the Roku app and the interface is decent...actually very similar to HS (go figure).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Does anyone know why they took out commercials? I usually hate commercials, but it's better than listening to silence I guess.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Does anyone know why they took out commercials? I usually hate commercials, but it's better than listening to silence I guess.

I feel the same way. It feels so bizarre just sitting and watching pretty much nothing. :laugh:

I guess I could get up and do something. But this is suppose to be my lazy time.

member 51464

Does NHL.tv let you play games from the start even if they are still going?

Also, does it allow you to watch a replay immediately after a game is over? I recall that GCL, way back when, would take up to 24 hours or more to have a game get "archived."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Not sure if this is legit or not, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Alright, apparently everything is blocked on this site. :laugh:

NHL_streams subreddit. Someone claiming to work for MLBAM and now NHLtv. Says everything is FUBAR, and there are no plans to fix it. Recommends everyone demand a refund and complain about the service, that's the only way the NHL will redo NHLtv moving forward, and fix the numerous issues.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
After a disastrous first two days, NHL.tv has been pretty flawless for me. (I run it through Apple TV). The picture quality is very good, but a little odd (has an almost cinematic quality to it, which is great...for films). Worth the money.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
On GCL I didn't need to skip commercial, they were cut out by the time I watched the game. And the quality I said a little better, for me GCL HD at 60fps was perfect, now it's pretty good too, but it's just a feeling (but maybe it's just the hate for NHL.tv).
I ended up watching Friday's game on Saturday morning. The video quality wasn't quite as good as it is when I watch it the night of. Maybe they don't archive the games with the highest quality.

The commercial thing sucks for you, but it's way, way better for me when I'm watching it the night of.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Anyone used it from germany? Do we get blackouts too?

I am using the VPN Unblock-us's free weekly trial, and set my location to Germany and I was able to watch the national broadcast today..
I live in Philadelphia and I am watching the Flyer - Ranger game right now with no blackout. So for 4.99/month.. the VPN seems like it would be worth the purchase!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am using the VPN Unblock-us's free weekly trial, and set my location to Germany and I was able to watch the national broadcast today..
I live in Philadelphia and I am watching the Flyer - Ranger game right now with no blackout. So for 4.99/month.. the VPN seems like it would be worth the purchase!

Sounds like this VPN service is working for people. Mine stopped working with NHL.tv so I guess I should try this weekly trial to see if it will work. I'm hesitant to buy another service until I know it works.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Did people have more or less buffering issues with GCL? Personally I have had many more buffering issues with NHL.TV than I did with GCL. I could care less if the picture is clearer if it works less frequently.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Problems with the layout and performance aside, I still can't justify paying a good chunk of change for anything the NHL is offering while half the season's games will fall under blackout restrictions. It all just comes down to that for me. Get rid of the blackouts and I'll gladly fork over the money.

And I'm assuming the NHL is going to take a hard stance against VPNs sooner or later. If not the service itself, then the places offering the service, or the avenues of finances with which the VPN services work through.

There's already stories of people having payments refunded and services cancelled by VPNs/PayPal because of the NHL.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Problems with the layout and performance aside, I still can't justify paying a good chunk of change for anything the NHL is offering while half the season's games will fall under blackout restrictions. It all just comes down to that for me. Get rid of the blackouts and I'll gladly fork over the money.

And I'm assuming the NHL is going to take a hard stance against VPNs sooner or later. If not the service itself, then the places offering the service, or the avenues of finances with which the VPN services work through.

There's already stories of people having payments refunded and services cancelled by VPNs/PayPal because of the NHL.

Yeah my VPN service Private Internet Access stopped working when it switched over to NHL.tv. I'm not asking for a refund because it's likely more of a hassle than it's worth, but I suspect that trend will continue.

The thing is, the NHL is just shooting itself in the foot by doing that. They already have the local TV agreements. Why should they care if people want to fork over $150 a year for NHL.tv and then use a VPN to watch the games?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The whole blackout thing is archaic and stupid. A ton of people would happily fork over money to the NHL for NHLtv if they could reliably watch every game. With the Pens, and my situation specifically, I'm looking at like half the season's worth of games falling into blackout restrictions because I'm from NJ (Devils, Flyers, Rangers, Islanders games all blacked out) and with the amount of national games the Pens get (NBC/NBCSports, NHL Network).

It just makes no sense for me to shell out cash to a league that essentially doesn't want my money. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The whole blackout thing is archaic and stupid. A ton of people would happily fork over money to the NHL for NHLtv if they could reliably watch every game. With the Pens, and my situation specifically, I'm looking at like half the season's worth of games falling into blackout restrictions because I'm from NJ (Devils, Flyers, Rangers, Islanders games all blacked out) and with the amount of national games the Pens get (NBC/NBCSports, NHL Network).

It just makes no sense for me to shell out cash to a league that essentially doesn't want my money. :laugh:

I totally understand. My situation is more frustrating (I'm biased though haha). I live in Cleveland and can't even get Root Sports on Time Warner Cable (the only cable company that works in the city). Yet the NHL treats Cleveland as a local market to Pittsburgh so ALL Pens games are blacked out on NHL.TV. It worked just fine before because I used the VPN. 40 a year so 190 total and everything worked fine. Streamed games from my phone to TV via chromecast. NHL.TV comes along and now I can't watch any Pens games other than finding streams online.

I guess technically I have another option. When I paid for cable, I had the center ice package, which for some reason have different blackout rules and those games weren't blacked out. I suspect that's because it was a service through Time Warner and since Root doesn't exist on their cable service, they couldn't black them out. But I don't want to pay 60 a month for cable just to pay another 150 a year to watch hockey.

In conclusion, screw the cable/big media industry which colludes and blocks free market competition. Funny how the 'free market' argument only applies when big corporation's interests are being impeded by government regulation (end of sort of political rant).

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I totally understand. My situation is more frustrating (I'm biased though haha). I live in Cleveland and can't even get Root Sports on Time Warner Cable (the only cable company that works in the city). Yet the NHL treats Cleveland as a local market to Pittsburgh so ALL Pens games are blacked out on NHL.TV. It worked just fine before because I used the VPN. 40 a year so 190 total and everything worked fine. Streamed games from my phone to TV via chromecast. NHL.TV comes along and now I can't watch any Pens games.

:laugh: That's unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad