Nhl.tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Does anyone here use NHL.TV (Formerly Gamecenter)?

With a certain streaming site being taken down, I am considering picking up NHL.TV.. I had Gamecenter in the past, but I was completely annoyed with the Penguins national televised games blackout restrictions.. (I'm out of the Pittsburgh area) and the fact it doesn't show playoff games!

Just wondering if anyone here is out of market and use it to watch Penguin games and how many games are blacked out.. is it worth it?

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Does anyone here use NHL.TV (Formerly Gamecenter)?

With a certain streaming site being taken down, I am considering picking up NHL.TV.. I had Gamecenter in the past, but I was completely annoyed with the Penguins national televised games blackout restrictions.. (I'm out of the Pittsburgh area) and the fact it doesn't show playoff games!

Just wondering if anyone here is out of market and use it to watch Penguin games and how many games are blacked out.. is it worth it?

I was in the same boat as you. I just got the full pass(?), $49.99 for the rest of the year, 10% discount if you have a discover card. It's been okay so far, haven't had a chance to try the DVR options. I, too, live in the Pittsburgh area and ran into the black out issue. That is solved by using a VPN. I use Hola, you can simply turn it on to a different country and you are able to watch the game.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I was in the same boat as you. I just got the full pass(?), $49.99 for the rest of the year, 10% discount if you have a discover card. It's been okay so far, haven't had a chance to try the DVR options. I, too, live in the Pittsburgh area and ran into the black out issue. That is solved by using a VPN. I use Hola, you can simply turn it on to a different country and you are able to watch the game.

I actually live outside the pittsburgh market, so I would get most of the games, but when I had Gamecenter before, they were blacked out when they were even on the NHL Network.. I don't have cable, so that was a problem for me.. I am just wondering how many games would be blacked out!

and then the playoffs is a whole separate thing right? None of the playoff games would be on NHL.TV correct?

craalkin876671

Jun 29, 2011

I don't live in the Pittsburgh area (unfortunately in the greater Philadelphia area :help:) but I got nhl.tv when it dropped to $49.99 for the remainder of the season.

I think if you're out of market it is definitely worth it; they have a pretty decent service. It's far from perfect and the stream can get choppy but it beats reading the games on here which is what I was basically doing before I got it. I only have basic cable too so I hope NHL network games aren't blacked out.

It's nice you can listen to either home or away feed too.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I was able to watch playoffs with gamecenter..
So dont think that it would be separate

EDIT: Cant say anything about the blackouts though as I dont live in the US^^

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
I have it. The only games you can't get are the ones on NHLN and NBCSN. There have been some issues with the new rollout, but overall it's a nice product. I stream the games to my Chomecast which works pretty well, but there is a bit of a delay so you can't really follow the game on Twitter or the GDT here.

Definitely worth considering.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I don't live in the Pittsburgh area (unfortunately in the greater Philadelphia area :help:) but I got nhl.tv when it dropped to $49.99 for the remainder of the season.

I think if you're out of market it is definitely worth it; they have a pretty decent service. It's far from perfect and the stream can get choppy but it beats reading the games on here which is what I was basically doing before I got it. I only have basic cable too so I hope NHL network games aren't blacked out.

It's nice you can listen to either home or away feed too.

Ha I actually live IN Philadelphia! :laugh:

I can bare watching the occasional ****** streams for NBC games, but not when the playoffs roll around.. I want to be able to watch the playoffs through the service.. So that would be a big turnoff for me getting NHL.TV

craalkin876671

Jun 29, 2011
Ha I actually live IN Philadelphia! :laugh:

I can bare watching the occasional ****** streams for NBC games, but not when the playoffs roll around.. I want to be able to watch the playoffs through the service.. So that would be a big turnoff for me getting NHL.TV

Came out here for work, I'm originally from south central PA. Not a fan of the area, but I actually find it entertaining living here and listening to the Philly fans. I don't really care one way or the other about any Philly team but the Flyers (hate them), but the fans live on a perpetual pendulum, especially with the Eagles. Depending on the day they are either going to win a championship or the worst team in the league; there is no in-between.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Came out here for work, I'm originally from south central PA. Not a fan of the area, but I actually find it entertaining living here and listening to the Philly fans. I don't really care one way or the other about any Philly team but the Flyers (hate them), but the fans live on a perpetual pendulum, especially with the Eagles. Depending on the day they are either going to win a championship or the worst team in the league; there is no in-between.

Oh believe me, I know.. I used to work for The Philadelphia Inquirer, Daily News, & Philly.com.. Philly fans are crazy.. I am a Philadelphia Union fan though, but thats about it.

I'm originally from Harrisburg.. Moved here because all of my friends did.. and stayed. I like the city itself.. it's easily to navigate especially by bike. But yeah, I don't have any hockey friends here.. since I'm a penguins fan :laugh:

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
NHL.tv is WAY better video qaulity than old GCL (now that the kinks are owrked out) for me.

I have no complaints (other than that crappy first game).

I live in Pittsburgh and I'm not getting blacked out at all (besides for that first game when they took over).

For playoffs, Unblock-us/VPN should do the trick.

Totally worth it, IMO.

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
Just got it since ************* went down and so far i'm a bit disappointed with it. I'm not sure if it's something on my end, which i doubt, but i get tons of stuttering and bits where the same clip plays twice in a row every 10 seconds or so. It's quite annoying but it's really my only option currently.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Im a big fan of NHL TV - only down side in Australia is our internet speeds arent great so sometimes the picture quality goes either really good or fuzzy, Gamecenter seemed to be more stable in that manner.

When the internet works well the picture quality is amazing.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
it's not good. the high quality streaming is too laggy for my cable broadband and it simply doesn't load at all on my fibre connection due to a possible built in DNS. I had gcl and HD concurrently and used gcl only for phone streaming.

with the new nhl.tv, I have to watch medium or lower on cable to be able to enjoy a somewhat smooth connection.
I miss HS.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Does anyone know what happend to the condensed replays?
When I cant stay up but already know the score I dont wanna watch the whole game but I always loved to watch the condensed replay..

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
NHL.tv is WAY better video qaulity than old GCL (now that the kinks are owrked out) for me.

I live in Pittsburgh and I'm not getting blacked out at all (besides for that first game when they took over).

Totally worth it, IMO.

What do you mean, no blackouts? I also live in Pittsburgh and I'm part of the blackout....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Totally worth it, IMO.

How do you not get blacked out living in Pittsburgh?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd have no problem paying for GCL again, but the stupid, archaic blackout **** makes me look for other avenues.

I live in NJ, so every single time the Pens play the Devils, Rangers, Islanders or Flyers, the game is blacked out. Same goes for nationally televised games, which is relatively frequent for this team. So, I'm looking at 20 divisional games, plus a dozen or so national games. Just under half the season's worth of games, I can't watch.

There's absolutely no reason for me, or tens of thousands of other people to pay for a product we'll only be able to take advantage of half the time. That's why things like h0ckeystreams and **** are always popping up, regardless of whether or not the league shuts their predecessors down.

I hope one day people in power realize that, and this stupid blackout garbage goes away forever.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I personally hate NHL tv but that's because of the blackout situation. I live in Cleveland and all Pens games are blacked out despite the fact that I can't get Root Sports on Time warner cable which is the only cable option that works in the city limits. Someone on the main boards told me DirectTV has Root in Cleveland but why should I be FORCED to get DirecTV in order to watch the NHL's product?

Also, the layout of the app is funky, slower to load new pages, and the "wrap" and game recap videos take longer to post.

I'm sure the video is a higher quality, but it also requires faster internet speeds to get that quality. I've never had an issue with gamecenter so while probably a quality improvement, I don't like the change in mid season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I guess VPNs exist and **** to circumvent the whole blackout thing, but if I'm gonna go out of my way to get around the blackouts, I'm probably not going to hand over money to the league to be inconvenienced.

I'll just use VLC or find hidden HD youtube streams.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I live out of market and pay for NHL.tv. There have been some hiccups with the changeover, but I still like it a lot more than GameCenter.

Question. Can you get playoff games on NHL.tv if you use a VPN from a different country? I thought the package was only for regular season. I've been paying for the service and cable for a few years mainly to watch NHL playoffs (and MLB playoffs). I do watch some TV shows on cable, but it's not worth the money if I can watch NHL playoffs without it.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
After years of buying Center Ice, I decided to go a different route and bought a Sling Box for Christmas.

Best decision I've ever made.

The Sling Box was $150 (there are cheaper ones), which is about the price of CI for the year, and there is no annual or monthly fee. I simply put it back in my parent's basement back home and I get all Pittsburgh channels streamed to me for free. I went to a Carolina Hurricanes game a few weeks ago. I streamed the Pens game through my phone in between periods. I went out to eat the other week, and they had free wi-fi. I pulled up the app on my phone and watched it for free.

I can watch games on TV or on my phone/laptop, blackouts don't matter, etc. If you have a friend in the Pittsburgh area, I highly recommend this route.

crane

Feb 18, 2009
San Diego
I guess VPNs exist and **** to circumvent the whole blackout thing, but if I'm gonna go out of my way to get around the blackouts, I'm probably not going to hand over money to the league to be inconvenienced.

I'll just use VLC or find hidden HD youtube streams.

jumping in as the Pens v Ducks game was blacked out in SoCal. Adding hola unblocker extension to Chrome takes like 10 seconds - no joke it's not really an inconvenience. Choose a location to watch from, then enjoy. It didn't work for me on my Android, but once I got home I was able to watch from my laptop and stream to the TV. I have data limits on my cellphone so it's no big deal if I can't stream video on it for the few times it will be blacked out. I feel it's definitely worth the $35 I paid just to watch the remaining Pens games

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That's the thing, I watch a ton of hockey on my tablet.

And I've used Hola before. It was a while ago, but it was awful then. I'm assuming it's been improved.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
You can find a YT stream on Reddit for a majority of the games on any given night. If you could pay extra to remove the blackout restrictions from NHL.tv I would absolutely do that, but since it's not even an option of course I'm going to look for alternatives that allow me to watch the games that I want.

Also, I have watched plenty of games hosted YouTube on my phone with no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad