NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The current foundation isn't going to be a problem. They have new technology to where its possible to dig down and not have to worry about having the old foundation collapse. With out this new technology, this arena plan would not been possible and sodo arena would have happened instead.

The point is the team needs to root itself before the NBA returns. The thing is delaying the start of the franchise to 21-22 season is basically delaying it to 22-23 due to a possible loss of season cause of a lockout.

Once again, I agree, especially with the bolded part. But you can't really put the blame on NHL. Heck if NHL had any say in this, they would have started playing in October 2017 most likely against Vegas Golden Knights. It's not the NHL delaying, at least I don't think so. But...

Meh, if legal work is done but arena hits a structural snag, then they can play in temporary dig. Like LA Chargers. Who plays in a stadium that is not even half the regulation size of standard NFL stadium.

...this is what I think NHL wants to avoid. They want to avoid all temporary solutions. They too want as good of a start as they had with Vegas.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
there is no other venue is the point, why would OVG pay 650 M, or thereabouts to retrofit an arena, that is not ready, independent of any franchise announcement, get it.

There is. Everett or Kent, or if the NHL is willing to pony up for a temporary ice plant, Tacoma. You can probably survive a year - no more than that - in a temporary facility if you have snags provided construction is ongoing and continues on. Granted, it's not the best situation for anyone, but this league has had it worse. Remember the Expo Hall at the Florida State Fairgrounds or the Cow Palace, or even the Calgary Corral, anyone??

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There is. Everett or Kent, or if the NHL is willing to pony up for a temporary ice plant, Tacoma. You can probably survive a year - no more than that - in a temporary facility if you have snags provided construction is ongoing and continues on. Granted, it's not the best situation for anyone, but this league has had it worse. Remember the Expo Hall at the Florida State Fairgrounds or the Cow Palace, or even the Calgary Corral, anyone??
OVG isn't that rich enough to do both, because who's paying the Storm to relocate off site?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The issue that is pushing for an earlier announcement IMO may be the next TV deal for the NHL. Having Seattle as part of the package in negotiations may be more important to the NHL than temporary delays that may arise and force playing in Kent and/or Everett. The Storm can easily play at the UW facility or Tacoma

An idea way out there would be to play a handful of games at Safeco. Crazy??

Reactions: Killion

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The issue that is pushing for an earlier announcement IMO may be the next TV deal for the NHL. Having Seattle as part of the package in negotiations may be more important to the NHL than temporary delays that may arise and force playing in Kent and/or Everett. The Storm can easily play at the UW facility or Tacoma

Can they keep the ice frozen for that long? They would have to add a temporary ice plant at the clink.

Agreed with the TV deal. Seattle being granted a team this June = $$$ more on the US TV deal.

TV deal goes through 20-21 season. I am sure the NHL would get the new TV deal in place before 20-21 season.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Can they keep the ice frozen for that long? Agreed with the TV deal. Seattle being granted a team this June = $$$ more on the US TV deal.

I doubt that it would be feasible for Safeco/Clink for any length of time except one time thing but it is fun to think about.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I doubt that it would be feasible for Safeco/Clink for any length of time except one time thing but it is fun to think about.

One time thing sure but long term like i said an ice plant is needed. I'm sure things are scheduled at Safeco during M's off season and they got to keep october open in case some bizarre chance that the M's make the playoffs

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We should be getting an announcement from the NHL group soon regarding the executive team for the franchise.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
One time thing sure but long term like i said an ice plant is needed. I'm sure things are scheduled at Safeco during M's off season and they got to keep october open in case some bizarre chance that the M's make the playoffs
From what I read Safeco isn't actually indoor stadium, but rather outdoor with roof over it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
From what I read Safeco isn't actually indoor stadium, but rather outdoor with roof over it.

Yes it has a retractable roof.

The issue is though that you would have to include a ice plant to keep the ice frozen for multiple game uses.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I know the guy who has the non-underscore NHLSeattle twitter handle. created it during the Thrashers last season and followed them as if they were moving to Seattle and not Winnipeg. It doesnt sound like the main group reached out to him since he asked the same question out loud on social media and realized that it was him.

Yes. people on my beer league team go up monthly and know many (myself included) that go to 1-3 games per year in Vancouver.

The PacNW is neat since between Van, Sea & Pdx there's 1 major league team from each of the big 4 leagues and then each city with the MLS. Seahawks & Mariners get loads of fans from both Van & Pdx but do not think the Van-to-Pdx relationship is as prevalent. I personally would love to see Portland or Vancouver get MLB - liklely Portland since stadium deals and land costs in Vancouver are extraordinary. NFL will not have a 2nd PNW team. NBA will likely come back to Seattle very soon and Vancouver could be in the mix for a return too. One thing that people rarely talk about is that the Grizzlies left Vancouver in the exact same manner the Sonics left Seattle. Local owner sold to out of town businessman, 'good faith effort' to make it work locally, moved to businessman's hometown.

That account first tweeted back in 2010.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

..... not so crazy.... entirely doable... done before.... remember the "Thunderdome"?...
www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-made-history-at-thunderdome/c-289030922

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
so how did they manage the ice plant?

Not entirely sure tommy. That facility is a fixed dome configuration, humidity a big problem in Florida as you can well imagine or perhaps experienced... place is huge, baseball configuration.... must have cost a small fortune to install an ice plant, bury piping etc, set up the boards, benches... on & on.... the AFL also played out of there at that time, the baseball team arriving after the Lightning had left for what is now called Amalie Arena.

All over 20yrs ago now & prior to the ubiquitous Outdoor Classics & Stadium Series whereby temporary ice plants & other portable infrastructure developed, thus making it far easier to execute than it wouldve been back in the 90's. Its entirely feasible as your stadium has a retractable roof... its absolutely an option. Cant imagine the costs, which for sure would be in the millions over a 42 home game season but something that wouldnt or couldnt be absorbed by Bruckheimer & Company.... a guy quite accustomed to working odd locations, creating environments so this a piece of cake. NHL's done it themselves over a dozen times or more.

So sure, absolutely, in an emergency, in a pinch, this can be done, and very successfully at that. Certain novelty to it all, extended run at a baseball stadium. Unique as was the Thunderdome experience. People in Tampa, the players, all responded favorably & with fond memories as the link above alludes to.... prolly have to replace the turf for the Mariners, keep them happy & on-side, other costs of course but sure... why the Hell not?... in fact... more I think about it... more I'm getting sold on the idea... giddyup... I'd buy a ticket to that....

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not entirely sure tommy. That facility is a fixed dome configuration, humidity a big problem in Florida as you can well imagine or perhaps experienced... place is huge, baseball configuration.... must have cost a small fortune to install an ice plant, bury piping etc, set up the boards, benches... on & on.... the AFL also played out of there at that time, the baseball team arriving after the Lightning had left for what is now called Amalie Arena.

All over 20yrs ago now & prior to the ubiquitous Outdoor Classics & Stadium Series whereby temporary ice plants & other portable infrastructure developed, thus making it far easier to execute than it wouldve been back in the 90's. Its entirely feasible as your stadium has a retractable roof... its absolutely an option. Cant imagine the costs, which for sure would be in the millions over a 42 home game season but something that wouldnt or couldnt be absorbed by Bruckheimer & Company.... a guy quite accustomed to working odd locations, creating environments so this a piece of cake. NHL's done it themselves over a dozen times or more.

So sure, absolutely, in an emergency, in a pinch, this can be done, and very successfully at that. Certain novelty to it all, extended run at a baseball stadium. Unique as was the Thunderdome experience. People in Tampa, the players, all responded favorably & with fond memories as the link above alludes to.... prolly have to replace the turf for the Mariners, keep them happy & on-side, other costs of course but sure... why the Hell not?... in fact... more I think about it... more I'm getting sold on the idea... giddyup... I'd buy a ticket to that....

It could work if there isn't anything schedule in the meantime. it would be hard to have to switch between hockey and baseball on a short notice.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It could work if there isn't anything schedule in the meantime. it would be hard to have to switch between hockey and baseball on a short notice.

Ya, a lot of logistics involved. Hafta scope out the schedule, all kinds of details large & small....
However.... if one only see's obstacles in life, lose sight of the goal... Nothing ever gets done.
Mariners season starts early April, ends September 31st, not an obstacle, can work around...
Or... "that Kentucky Blue Grass & Perennial Rye, whoa boy... gunna cost a fortune to replace!". :scared:
Unhuh. I'm sure it will. So what? I dont wanna hear cant do... I wanna hear can do. Problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: snovalleyhockeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad