NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I wouldn't be shocked to hear something earlier than June. Time will tell - either way, hockey is on it's way.

Do you think the NHL wanting to be here sooner rather than later has something to do with the NBA? It sure doesn't seem like the Sonics will be back anytime soon but NHL, by your information, can't get a foothold soon enough. I just don't understand the urgency

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Do you think the NHL wanting to be here sooner rather than later has something to do with the NBA? It sure doesn't seem like the Sonics will be back anytime soon but NHL, by your information, can't get a foothold soon enough. I just don't understand the urgency

Buzz creation. Perhaps the NHL is actually doing something right here, and wanting to be in the news all the time for the next 2 years. That's the marketing reason.....

The tin foil hat reason would go like this:

NHL knows there is no hope of a new arena in Arizona. They want to wait it out one more year, and then flip the team to Seattle, because Houston won't pay the price. Since the losses would mount too much in Arizona, they will come to Seattle a year early, with one year in a temp facility. And, the market needs to be prepared for that, plus a list of sth. Where they play? idk. Like I said, this is tin foil hat country.

Doug - do you have a link for the new drawings?

Reactions: Llama19

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Buzz creation. Perhaps the NHL is actually doing something right here, and wanting to be in the news all the time for the next 2 years. That's the marketing reason.....

The tin foil hat reason would go like this:

NHL knows there is no hope of a new arena in Arizona. They want to wait it out one more year, and then flip the team to Seattle, because Houston won't pay the price. Since the losses would mount too much in Arizona, they will come to Seattle a year early, with one year in a temp facility. And, the market needs to be prepared for that, plus a list of sth. Where they play? idk. Like I said, this is tin foil hat country.

Doug - do you have a link for the new drawings?

The marketing reason makes a lot of sense As for the tin foil hat not so much. Where would the temp location be?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The marketing reason makes a lot of sense As for the tin foil hat not so much. Where would the temp location be?

Like I said....Tin. Foil. Hat.

Thing is... Doug said we will be shocked. Simple marketing wouldn't shock any of us. Arizona moving to Seattle for 2019 would shock us. In fact, come to think of it, Arizona to Seattle in 2018 would really shock us. And, given the status of things in AZ, it could happen. But I wouldn't have a clue where they could play.

However, in one sense, it seems possible.
Team hasn't been announced, but a sth drive is happening.
Let's say the team is announced in June, but it's the Yotes, and they are coming right away. Now, that sth list looks like gold to Bruckheimer and Bonderman. Pure Gold.

Let's make a list:
Tacoma: No boxes, no ice....
Where else?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Thing is... Doug said we will be shocked. Simple marketing wouldn't shock any of us. Arizona moving to Seattle for 2019 would shock us. In fact, come to think of it, Arizona to Seattle in 2018 would really shock us. And, given the status of things in AZ, it could happen. But I wouldn't have a clue where they could play.

Let's say the team is announced in June, but it's the Yotes, and they are coming right away. Now, that sth list looks like gold to Bruckheimer and Bonderman. Pure Gold.

Let's make a list:
Where else?

I think that's the list. Kent and Everett don't make sense, too small. Portland? Nah.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think that's the list. Kent and Everett don't make sense, too small. Portland? Nah.

Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But, if Doug is right, and we are going to be shocked, then I can't wait to see what comes up, because I don't shock easy...

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But, if Doug is right, and we are going to be shocked, then I can't wait to see what comes up, because I don't shock easy...

Not only would I be shocked but I would be eating a lot of crow. :laugh:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle isn't going to begin playing before the new arena is done and open. Seattle isn't getting a relocation team.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Shocking? You want shocking? How about this:

NBA comes at the same time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Let's make a list:
Where else?

Well, I love a good Conspiracy Theory but I'm not seeing the Coyotes moving to Seattle (or environs) this year or next... though I'll tell you what.... this certainly works in the Leagues favor in gaining leverage with Houston over any possible sale of the Coyotes out of state now that Seattle is super progressed with respect to its arena situation & ownership, Expansion Application process... either Tilman Fertitta pays whatever price they might be asking for the Coyotes or he can apply for an Expansion Team like Seattle & pay the full pop; $650M... if he really really wants in. So yes, leverage. These goings on give the NHL some much needed leverage.

If he doesnt budge, Fertitta, then sure, I could see the Coyotes sold & moved to WA State no problem. That'll take a big bite out of the so called "Expansion Fee", paying out Barroway, satisfying various creditors, the other 30 teams seeing a mere sliver of what they would have received but I'm pretty sure Gary Bettman wont be confronted with much in the way of argument from anyone around the table nor from Seattle ownership who will receive player contracts, probably the AHL Franchise etc. A leg up, head start. Same sort of thing we were discussing as a possibility with Las Vegas a couple of years back. A sort of "bait n' switch" but not in a negative sense. Negative for fans in Arizona of course and Im sure Seattle fans would rather they dont receive a team at the expence of another cities fanbase but My God.... the situation in Arizona is just beyond deplorable. An absolutely untenable situation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hmmmm possible... the Suns and Coyotes could both end up there. :naughty:

Sigh Coyotes are not relocating to Seattle cause it does nothing to actually balance the league and take out the only market that was willing to actually pay 650m for team.

So lets drop the whole idea that Seattle is getting a team via relocation.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sigh Coyotes are not relocating to Seattle cause it does nothing to actually balance the league and take out the only market that was willing to actually pay 650m for team.

So lets drop the hole idea that Seattle is getting a team via relocation.

Relax Tommy.... you missed the sarcasm.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hmmmm possible... the Suns and Coyotes could both end up there. :naughty:

... :laugh: I doubt that.... Sarver seems to enjoy the infamy, be it "Worst Owner in the NBA" (2016 - ESPN).... second guessing the Suns Mgmnt & Coaching Staff... putting the screws to the City, County, State.... loves it... not goin anywhere.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I guess so. It just gets tiring when the whole focus is on expansion not relocation.

Well I recall you pushed the idea of the Yotes moving up there for quite some time. Took some work before you could see the light there..... ;)

But it is a possibility. All be it a very tiny one and we both agree that Houston is a more likely landing spot now if it came to that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I guess so. It just gets tiring when the whole focus is on expansion not relocation.

Indeed..... And I cant tell you what a pleasure it is to see all of you Classy fans from Seattle refraining from even going there, to be eyeballing a distressed asset elsewhere with avaricious intent. However, Gary Bettman himself has left the door open, that that option is on the table. Step One however = Expansion. The whole application process which for all intents and purposes is as far as I'm concerned merely a series of formalities, thats its a done deal. But no, no it wouldnt surprise me that should the Coyotes still be stalled in Glendale leaking red ink come 2019/2020... and barring a sale to Fertitta in the interim or at that time.... they be bound for the PNW. Either way, clean sheet by way of Expansion or with some baggage by way of Relocation, Seattles in.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well I recall you pushed the idea of the Yotes moving up there for quite some time. Took some work before you could see the light there..... ;)

But it is a possibility. All be it a very tiny one and we both agree that Houston is a more likely landing spot now if it came to that.

That was before we had someone show up with an arena plan with a NHL group that actually has the $$$.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Indeed..... And I cant tell you what a pleasure it is to see all of you Classy fans from Seattle refraining from even going there, to be eyeballing a distressed asset elsewhere with avaricious intent. However, Gary Bettman himself has left the door open, that that option is on the table. Step One however = Expansion. The whole application process which for all intents and purposes is as far as I'm concerned merely a series of formalities, thats its a done deal. But no, no it wouldnt surprise me that should the Coyotes still be stalled in Glendale leaking red ink come 2019/2020... and barring a sale to Fertitta in the interim or at that time.... they be bound for the PNW. Either way, clean sheet by way of Expansion or by Relocation, Seattles in.

The NHL wants 32 teams to balance it out and who other than Seattle that's for a western based team is gonna drop 650m for expansion?

Seattle is gonna get expansion. The whole Expansion or relocation is just giving the NHL an out of not promising that a team could come via expansion if the owners chose not go that route.

They aren't going to say no to 650m.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The NHL wants 32 teams to balance it out and who other than Seattle that's for a western based team is gonna drop 650m for expansion?

Seattle is gonna get expansion. The whole Expansion or relocation is just giving the NHL an out of not promising that a team could come via expansion if the owners chose not go that route.

They aren't going to say no to 650m.

... ideally, yes, absolutely. and thats the plan I believe. but should things completely falter in Arizona & or Texas... plans could change. not really something you guys in Seattle should worry or get hungup about one way or the other.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
... ideally, yes, absolutely. and thats the plan I believe. but should things completely falter in Arizona & or Texas... plans could change. not really something you guys in Seattle should worry or get hungup about one way or the other.

NHL doesn't want to have a lame duck though

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
NHL doesn't want to have a lame duck though

... of course not, and it pains me to think of the Coyotes or any club in that light... but.... the lipstick & makeup's not working tommy.... major systemic and financial problems with that franchise. NHL & ownership over 20 yrs... all kinds of self inflicted wounds....

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
Won't say 100% as nothing is impossible, but this will be an expansion team that won't begin play until the 2020 season (of course a lockout could play a part).

Reactions: nwhockeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad