NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Let them both in. 1 more eastern market too.

I wish it could work, but I don't think the league is willing to go 34.
Still, going 34 before the next US-TV contract could be a business move. More teams = More money (in theory at least 2 of 3 teams would be US based).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wish it could work, but I don't think the league is willing to go 34.
Still, going 34 before the next US-TV contract could be a business move. More teams = More money (in theory at least 2 of 3 teams would be US based).

Houston can still get a team if NHL would finally pull the plug on the coyotes with NHL remaining at 32 teams.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
34 may be in the works.

3 expansion teams = 1.5 billions. Ya know big boy$ like$ tho$e $ort of value$. (before selling their franchises and retire.)

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
34 teams or bust!

People gripe about watering down, etc, but the league is so competitive and there is so much talent outside of the NHL that the expansion could definitely happen without compromising the quality of the product.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Seattle can't go any faster than they legally can. They can't vote on it no early than the 4th of December.
It's only this way because they city and Hansen dragged this out over the course of 5 years. The Thunderbirds should have been on the ice with Vegas last month.

~~~~~

34 teams and bigger nets.

Last edited:
Reactions: powerstuck

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Houston can still get a team if NHL would finally pull the plug on the coyotes with NHL remaining at 32 teams.

Yes, but that's one hell of a big IF.

NHL didn't spend last 10 years doing everything they can to keep Coyotes in Phoenix/Glendale just to let them go because suddenly Seattle and/or Huston are ready.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, but that's one hell of a big IF.

NHL didn't spend last 10 years doing everything they can to keep Coyotes in Phoenix/Glendale just to let them go because suddenly Seattle and/or Huston are ready.

The coyotes can't keep just staying there with a year by year lease either they get a new arena in the market or not. ANd so far there is no long term arena other than staying where they are at which i believe the lease expires end of season no?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Exactly, because of Hansen's cattiness and the city not giving the street vacation. Anyway, it's water under the bridge and I hope this gets done asap.

as far as it concerns sodo arena its basically DOA in terms of another reconsideration of a street vacation. Its basically OVG plan for the time being. Hansen thinks he can wait the long game and hope the NBA gives him a team (no way in hell NBA gives the NBA seattle team to him) instead of OVG's arena

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
as far as it concerns sodo arena its basically DOA in terms of another reconsideration of a street vacation. Its basically OVG plan for the time being. Hansen thinks he can wait the long game and hope the NBA gives him a team (no way in hell NBA gives the NBA seattle team to him) instead of OVG's arena
exactly. people have said that for years, especially post Sacramento.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
exactly. people have said that for years, especially post Sacramento.

And the whole overblown Sacramento issue is NOT WHY he won't get a team. Its cause there is another arena plan that already happened and built by someone that has done a lot of things for the NBA.

Silver went on record saying it was not a problem.

edit

Too add

Hansen isn't going to make friends by playing the long game here. He needs to focus on getting the NHL group and convince to the SCC that he can get this done to force the city to make a choice. He has to get political allies in order to do that as well

If he can get the street vacation while OVG plan is rejected is the only way sodo ends up with both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We had Geoff Baker join us in our podcast to recap the latest events and is Houston a real threat to Seattle's NHL hopes:

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/1...nt=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Geoff baker is suggesting a 7-2 vote in favor of key arena plan however, we are a month and half away from the target vote date so it is possible it could change. With that said if nothing changes in terms of the yes and no votes, its looking very very good that we are finally getting an approved arena and just in time for xmas holidays.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Geoff baker is suggesting a 7-2 vote in favor of key arena plan however, we are a month and half away from the target vote date so it is possible it could change. With that said if nothing changes in terms of the yes and no votes, its looking very very good that we are finally getting an approved arena and just in time for xmas holidays.

I think we have the votes, OVG has been laying the ground work for months. Mosqueda/Grant are both YES on the Key. I'm guessing Sawant is a No.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The coyotes can't keep just staying there with a year by year lease either they get a new arena in the market or not. ANd so far there is no long term arena other than staying where they are at which i believe the lease expires end of season no?
To be honest, Seattle and Coyotes are pretty darn even today as to who will get a new arena first.
Neither of the files is certain nor under way without risks of failing before shovels hit the ground.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
To be honest, Seattle and Coyotes are pretty darn even today as to who will get a new arena first.
Neither of the files is certain nor under way without risks of failing before shovels hit the ground.

Seattle is much further along in getting a new arena than what is passing for an attempt for a new arena somewhere else in Arizona...

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The two aren't even close to being even in terms of getting an arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad