NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

The final mayoral debate last night between Cary Moon and Jenny Durkan brought questions on the arena. Looks like Moon may be open, and I use the term may literally here, to SODO if the situation presents itself.

Reactions: Killion

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It doesn't really matter what they think. If SCC wants and have super majority of votes. it'll happen.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think this a matter of when not if right now. I expect things to get settled within the next few months and the 32nd team announced for 2020-2021. Houston becomes a relocation option for a team in the West and Quebec City a relocation option for a team in the East.

Reactions: bleedblue94

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Chris Daniels did an interview with the interim mayor Burgess earlier, and while much of it focused on other city issues, specifically a proposal from some councilmembers for a so-called employee "head tax" to help fund homeless initiatives in the city - the above was also discussed concerning the KeyArena MOU.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...arena-groups-tim-leiweke-is-doing-it-his-way/

Good info on Leiweke and some comments from silver regarding key arena and the possiblity of the NBA back in Seattle. A few noteables

NBA commissioner Adam Silver agrees with Leiweke’s low-key public approach to basketball returning, adding that serious discussions can’t begin until an arena gets built.
He says he wouldn’t bet against Leiweke getting something done. “He’s always delivered in all of my business dealings with him.

This basically kills sodo arena unless Hansen can deliver a NHL group, a $$$ guy and a NHL team. To date he has yet to do the first two in order to the NHL team.

Then there is this Gem

Silver basically say he doesn't have any issues about Key arena remodel plan regarding if it meets the NBA requirements or not.

Thirdly,

Looks like the NBA group will have a couple local ties of the Ackerley brothers, sons of the late owner Barey Ackerley. They won't be majority owners though.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
And there it is. Silver was against Hansen all along. Chris blew this 4 years ago when he played hardball with the NHL crowd.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
It's pretty much now all in for the Key Arena remodel. Unless something really derails the December vote, the NHL will be apart of
Seattle's Center Arena.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And there it is. Silver was against Hansen all along. Chris blew this 4 years ago when he played hardball with the NHL crowd.

I wouldn't say Silver was against Hansen the entire time. Its just there is a better offer by a more connected to the leagues group on the table now that the city is considering that basically builds an arena on spec. Before that offer by OVG showed up, Hansen was the only option for the NBA and the NHL for Seattle. Now that's not the case anymore.

Hansen has to basically get a NHL group an $$$ guy and show that he has the equal offer if not better offer to SCC to force the city to seriously reconsider the street vacation vote if he ever wants the NBA. He hasn't done that to date and won't do that.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I wouldn't say Silver was against Hansen the entire time. Its just there is a better offer by a more connected to the leagues group on the table now that the city is considering that basically builds an arena on spec. Before that offer by OVG showed up, Hansen was the only option for the NBA and the NHL for Seattle. Now that's not the case anymore.

Hansen has to basically get a NHL group an $$$ guy and show that he has the equal offer if not better offer to SCC to force the city to seriously reconsider the street vacation vote if he ever wants the NBA. He hasn't done that to date and won't do that.
The NBA will never let go of the fact he tried to move the Kings up there. That and his hamfisted dealings with the NHL and city killed his arena.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The NBA will never let go of the fact he tried to move the Kings up there. That and his hamfisted dealings with the NHL and city killed his arena.

I get the impression your saying that with relish.... mustard, ketchup & every other condiment available AND.... loving it! :laugh:

... but ya.... hard not to agree... you have to figure despite his having some decent partners involved that he's pretty much persona non-grata with the NBA... and beyond that simply doesnt have his act together to the nth degree that you need have it together in dealing with a skeptical, gun shy & seriously cautious City & authority.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And the only reason why the kings stayed cause the NBA forced the maloofs to accept a lesser offer and to anti-trust laws that is price fixing and is illegal. Last i heard NBA is not a single entity league nor they have anti-trust exemption. They were lucky no one took them to court.

Of course a lawsuit wouldn't not gotten Seattle a team only would have gotten money damaged and basically blacklisted permanently. That's why no one sued the NBA over that mess. It wouldn't do seattle any good.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
In my mind the Sacramento deal with Hansen was never going to go his way even before his shenanigans were revealed. The NBA wanted to stay in Sacramento for whatever reason. Hansen screwed himself by thinking he could influence the decision with money in an underhanded way.

His inability to work with city officials and the leagues (both NHL and NBA) is his biggest weakness. Having public opinion on your side may seem the way to go but it is one small part of this process.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In my mind the Sacramento deal with Hansen was never going to go his way even before his shenanigans were revealed. The NBA wanted to stay in Sacramento for whatever reason. Hansen screwed himself by thinking he could influence the decision with money in an underhanded way.

His inability to work with city officials and the leagues (both NHL and NBA) is his biggest weakness. Having public opinion on your side may seem the way to go but it is one small part of this process.

Here's the thing though the maloofs had every right to sell the team to who ever they want. They owned the team at the time and not the NBA. The NBA knew that they can't deny a sales transaction the fact it was tied to a relocation so they just denied the relocation thus killing the sale transaction. Its just dirty unethical business by the NBA. So far no one has the courage to challenge the NBA in the courts.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's pretty much now all in for the Key Arena remodel. Unless something really derails the December vote, the NHL will be apart of
Seattle's Center Arena.
where's the 600 M transfer fee for an NHL Club, then, Seattle, 600 M + OVG= NO.... Seattle still has no adequate arena, I ALSO DO NOT SEE Expansion in the next 18 months, either

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Huh? Explain please.

POSTERS have forgotten, what stopped Seattle from bidding in the "open" expansion bid process, and the arena needs to go away totally, not a rebuild, because we'll be rebuilding it again within a decade, if not sooner. Seattle Center's history tells you that, K.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
POSTERS have forgotten, what stopped Seattle from bidding in the "open" expansion bid process, and the arena needs to go away totally, not a rebuild, because we'll be rebuilding it again within a decade, if not sooner. Seattle Center's history tells you that, K.

Had there been a clear path to an NHL 1st & "NHL controlled" new building with a ready building set to go as a temporary home I'm quite certain we would have seen an application from Seattle CH. The pieces simply werent in place to be proceeding with an application for an expansion franchise.... so I dont quite understand your comment about a $600M payment (where you gettin $600M? - Expansion Fee was $500M)..... what were they to do given the uncertainty; apply, drop $10M for the privilege & then if approved deposit $490M into escrow & HOPE the City of Seattle & King County didnt rake them over the coals knowing they were already in to the tune of a half a billion & demand they pay for the lions share of reno's to Key or pick up 90% of the costs of a new building? How does that make any sense? Critically, where were they supposed to play in the interim & why would you give up all leverage in acquiring a team 1st (not that the NHL would even approve it without even a temporary much less permant arena).

Reactions: superdeluxe

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Had there been a clear path to an NHL 1st & "NHL controlled" new building with a ready building set to go as a temporary home I'm quite certain we would have seen an application from Seattle CH. The pieces simply werent in place to be proceeding with an application for an expansion franchise.... so I dont quite understand your comment about a $600M payment (where you gettin $600M? - Expansion Fee was $500M)..... what were they to do given the uncertainty; apply, drop $10M for the privilege & then if approved deposit $490M into escrow & HOPE the City of Seattle & King County didnt rake them over the coals knowing they were already in to the tune of a half a billion & demand they pay for the lions share of reno's to Key or pick up 90% of the costs of a new building? How does that make any sense?

REMEMBER, Don't trust OVG, FOR ANYTHING, K, Seattle has no chances to land an NHL team, because doesn't there have to be Expansion approval see Vegas.... Seattle Center simply is not feasible, even renovated, hence wouldn't they be there by now? the NBA wants nothing to do with Seattle Center, tbth, it has nothing to do with either Milwaukee or Sacramento, there simply is no interest in bringing the NBA AND THEN starting another fight with the Thunder to pursue the records set as the Sonics, after the agreement with Bennett.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
REMEMBER, Don't trust OVG, FOR ANYTHING, K, Seattle has no chances to land an NHL team, because doesn't there have to be Expansion approval see Vegas.... Seattle Center simply is not feasible, even renovated, hence wouldn't they be there by now? the NBA wants nothing to do with Seattle Center, tbth, it has nothing to do with either Milwaukee or Sacramento, there simply is no interest in bringing the NBA AND THEN starting another fight with the Thunder to pursue the records set as the Sonics, after the agreement with Bennett.

Well, let me ask you a couple of questions here.... 1) Do you agree with or accept the premise that the NHL would dearly love to see their flag planted in Seattle?..... 2) I assume youve been paying attention & have noted the unusual amount of attention theyve lavished on the market, Bettman, Daly, Jacobs (engaged with OVG btw) & other interested NHL parties meeting with City & County Officials etc, highly unusual, and just what do you make of that if not to grease the wheels?.... 3) These things can often work in mysterious ways, Bettman claiming "Expansion is not on the horizon" as recently as late 2015 yet here we are; so, ask yourself, whats to stop them from once the dust settles in Seattle from announcing a "one-off Expansion here folks"? Ha?.... Nothing what-so-ever. At. All. I'd call that a Conspiracy FACT rather than THEORY... I await your response CH.... also.... we got Boston Whalers, watercraft out here that would clean your New England clocks. Better Chowder too... Ya... Bite me. G'head.

Dare ya. :D

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
why expand so soon, K? Vegas hasn't exactly done wonders leading up to their approval and remember they still don't really have a full affiliation off the ground, either.... there simply isn't enough prospects to stock another 3 teams under existing agreements. ECHL is stuck at 28 remember now that Colorado bought the Eagles making the AHL 31.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
why expand so soon, K? Vegas hasn't exactly done wonders leading up to their approval and remember they still don't really have a full affiliation off the ground, either.... there simply isn't enough prospects to stock another 3 teams under existing agreements. ECHL is stuck at 28 remember now that Colorado bought the Eagles making the AHL 31.

Vegas has exceeded all expectations CH, what are you talking about?.... Give them time to secure full affiliation, ownership of their farm clubs. Thats not going to be a problem. Indeed their very existence bodes well for the future growth & stability of minor pro just as would the addition of a 32nd club in Seattle, 33rd in Portland, 34th in Houston. Trickle effect. Are you suggesting the talent pool globally's run dry? Averse to further Expansion for that reason?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Vegas has exceeded all expectations CH, what are you talking about?.... Give them time to secure full affiliation, ownership of their farm clubs. Thats not going to be a problem. Indeed their very existence bodes well for the future growth & stability of minor pro just as would the addition of a 32nd club in Seattle, 33rd in Portland, 34th in Houston. Trickle effect. Are you suggesting the talent pool globally's run dry? Averse to further Expansion for that reason?

yes, K

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

So your averse to further Expansion because you feel the talent pool simply cannot sustain without experiencing an immediate and serious drop in quality of play with a 32 or 34 team NHL along with the same numbers at the AHL & ECHL levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad