Speculation: NHL teams being told Detroit ready to deal

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Why doesn't Holland just let them all go for a bunch of college kids. How bad can it be, right? That is the mood on this board. If you have seen the US team play at the Olympics, you know how bad it can be.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yea can't see the interest in ericcson with two more years remaining. Maybe next year if he's playing well with only a year left we can get a 3rd or something.
Some team might be ”interested” if they get to send a bad contract back, maybe one with less term. Or if we retain.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Some team might be ”interested” if they get to send a bad contract back, maybe one with less term. Or if we retain.
Wouldn't be bad if we got a pick for taking back a bad contract with him. Would rather keep a retaining spot for someone else. Nielsen would be a legit trade asset with retention.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Right, but just like with Toronto... the longer you let that take, the longer you will probably be in purgatory.

Toronto wouldn't have been in purgatory in the first place if they had just kept their draft picks. You can't compare Detroit's quarter-century run of success that saw multiple Stanley Cups and Finals appearances to Toronto. Otherwise, you're telling me teams like Chicago should start their rebuild already.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I could see E helping a playoff team. the strongest teams usually like rentals. But maybe a more bubble time team would be looking to add a real D man like DK or E. Or maybe this is where a conversation begins, doesnt happen at the deadline but gets done during the summer. I think odds of Nyquist being moved is higher than DK or E... but who knows, maybe we get surprised.

I could see a few teams willing to spend a bit more to guarantee they get a guy they want for an extra year. A team with a few guys hitting free agency and who could use some stability, especially stability that is cost controlled. NYI is a team that comes immediately to mind where they are looking at losing De Haan and Hickey while also having Bailey, Taveras, and Nelson up for new deals.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Toronto wouldn't have been in purgatory in the first place if they had just kept their draft picks. You can't compare Detroit's quarter-century run of success that saw multiple Stanley Cups and Finals appearances to Toronto. Otherwise, you're telling me teams like Chicago should start their rebuild already.
While I agree that, overall, Detroit and Toronto are very different cases, Chicago probably should start their rebuild now. They're basically where the Wings were in 2013: Maybe one decent run left in them, but no longer a Cup contender.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I can compare a team that is currently re-building with a team that finally has started to come out of it's re-build. Chicago is a different case entirely, and I wouldn't suggest they do that. They still have 2 core pieces under 30. They are kind of in a case similar to Pittsburgh 2010-2014, where they need to switch out the supporting cast and make some trades.

Reactions: TheMule93

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I can compare a team that is currently re-building with a team that finally has started to come out of it's re-build. Chicago is a different case entirely, and I wouldn't suggest they do that. They still have 2 core pieces under 30. They are kind of in a case similar to Pittsburgh 2010-2014, where they need to switch out the supporting cast and make some trades.
I don't know that Toews and Kane (or any other 1-2 punch in the second half of their careers) are quite good enough to pull off what Crosby and Malkin allowed Pittsburgh to do, but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And here's today's compilation from Spector's:

NHL Rumor Mill – February 21, 2018 | Spectors Hockey

UPDATES ON THE RED WINGS
TSN: Bob McKenzie reports teams like the Nashville Predators have interest in rental scoring wingers. Given the high prices for those rentals, however, they’re also looking at players with term remaining on their contracts that they might get for less than the cost of a rental player. McKenzie mentions Detroit Red Wings forward Tomas Tatar, who’s got three years remaining on his contract at $5.3 million annually. While the Wings aren’t obliged to move Tatar, McKenzie said the two clubs have had discussions about the winger.

SPORTSNET: Elliotte Friedman reports the Red Wings have shown an inclination to move Tatar or Gustav Nyquist but not both. He notes Nashville has shown interest in Tatar, but other clubs could prefer Nyquist because he’s got only a year left on his contract. Nyquist has a no-trade clause but Tatar’s doesn’t kick in until July 1. He also notes the Toronto Maple Leafs have interest in Wings center Luke Glendening, but thinks they’d prefer offering up Josh Leivo rather than a draft pick.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It’ll be interesting to see if the Wings move Tatar or Nyquist. of the two, the former is the easiest to deal because of his lack of a no-trade clause, but the remaining tenure on his contract could be a sticking point unless the Wings pick up part of his cap hit.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick + Nyquist at half retained if that gets Detroit another first round pick. 2.375 million a year for a 50ish point winger is excellent value for a contending team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick + Nyquist at half retained if that gets Detroit another first round pick. 2.375 million a year for a 50ish point winger is excellent value for a contending team.

That's ludicrous.

Nyquist ought to be worth more than ~20 draft slots. A 2nd would fall between 32 and 64. The first you'd be getting would be 25-30, most likely.

That's just being asset foolish. You're giving up a retention slot, 2.375M of cap space, and the services of Gustav Nyquist for at most 30 draft slots. that's insanity.

Reactions: mjtm777

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
They could trade Howard to the Islanders, not take a goalie back and they could call me up! I could guarantee that we lose out this year (because I'm a bad goalie) and I'd have a blast playing for the league minimum. They don't need to mess with Coreau. Although, I am 34 years old, so I might be too old for them. :laugh:

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
They could trade Howard to the Islanders, not take a goalie back and they could call me up! I could guarantee that we lose out this year (because I'm a bad goalie) and I'd have a blast playing for the league minimum. They don't need to mess with Coreau. Although, I am 34 years old, so I might be too old for them. :laugh:

while they're at it...bench Ericsson, trade Green and I will play top line D (a position I don't ever play). But hey, I'm a righty!

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
According this (Top 30 Available Players List) Detroit has interest in :

Leivo
Pearson
Domi
Nugent-Hopkins
Ekman-Larsson
Klefbom

I can see Leivo coming back in a Glendening deal to Toronto and Holland buying low on Klefbom.
Pearson (3.75M for the next 3 years) would be interesting, seeing Green could go the other way (although I would rather get a 1st).

What's your take?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Leivo
Pearson
Domi
Nugent-Hopkins
Ekman-Larsson
Klefbom

I can see Leivo coming back in a Glendening deal to Toronto and Holland buying low on Klefbom.
Pearson (3.75M for the next 3 years) would be interesting, seeing Green could go the other way (although I would rather get a 1st).

What's your take?

Edmonton would be nuts to throw in the towel on those two guys right now, and OEL is out of our price range. Domi's struggled at center, not sure how much I'd give up for another point producing wing at this point.

Less interest in Leivo and Pearson.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Leivo
Pearson
Domi
Nugent-Hopkins
Ekman-Larsson
Klefbom

What's your take?
I would love to see them get Domi.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
From The Athletic mailbag:

"It wasn’t all that long ago that Mike Green was the best defenseman you could pick up at the deadline. Things have changed pretty dramatically on that front."

So again, nearly 4 weeks for the Wings indicating they were ready to start dealing and no trade. There's more supply now which will likely tamp down demand.

Tick tock, Kenny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad