Speculation: NHL teams being told Detroit ready to deal

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Imagine if we throw both Howard and Mrazek away and Coreau is the starter for the rest of the season.
Honestly I'd be ecstatic if we traded Howard too. Can't see it from an organizational depth perspective though, I guess we'd be getting one back.

Thought I was quick in the edit

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Honestly I'd be ecstatic if we traded Howard too.
Good or bad, I don't see that happening at all. Holland isn't going to burn it down now if he hasn't done so already. And trading BOTH of your starting goaltenders is about as close you can get to burning it down without trading your franchise skaters.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'll bet the Isles are only interested if they can get the Red Wings to take Greiss' contract in exchange somehow. Halak hasn't been nearly as bad the past couple months, so I doubt they want to give up that kind of depth if they have playoff aspirations. Especially if they're bringing in an injury prone replacement.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Imagine if we throw both Howard and Mrazek away and Coreau is the starter for the rest of the season.

From the Griffins highlights of Coreau's last shutout he looked fantastic. I know he's disciplined himself with his diet, etc. I'm curious if he can at least properly fill out the backup spot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I theorize this:

there are several teams talking to detroit regarding these players:

3 teams asking about Nyquist
4 teams asking about Glendening
3-4 teams asking about Ericsson
and 3 teams asking about Dekeyser

Also a fun quote i found from Kenny: "the captain is tough to deal with" (refering to Yzerman)

Reactions: Bruce Joker

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
From the Griffins highlights of Coreau's last shutout he looked fantastic. I know he's disciplined himself with his diet, etc. I'm curious if he can at least properly fill out the backup spot.

He was terrible to start the reason but has been much better since. Since Dec. 22, the 6-foot-6 netminder sports a 13-2-3 record along with a 1.92 goals against average and a 0.933 save percentage in 18 appearances including consecutive shutouts in his last 2 games.
McCollum has been terrible all year. Hopefully they give Machovsky plenty of opportunity.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not even sure we want to call Coreau up and screw with GR's playoff chances. It's really the only chance a bunch of guys are going to have to see any sort of playoff action this year, and I'd rather ensure that than have Coreau up to relieve Howard once in awhile.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I theorize this:

Also a fun quote i found from Kenny: "the captain is tough to deal with" (refering to Yzerman)

Is this from your contact? Haven’t heard anything about Ericsson.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not even sure we want to call Coreau up and screw with GR's playoff chances. It's really the only chance a bunch of guys are going to have to see any sort of playoff action this year, and I'd rather ensure that than have Coreau up to relieve Howard once in awhile.

Nothing prevents us sending Coreau back and take McCollum to sit on the bench.

I'm quite sure they are gonna swap those goalies a lot on the final month. Coreau can play some week games, and be playing in AHL on the weekend they mostly play. And Coreau will go to play for the AHL playoffs.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I theorize this:

Hard to actually believe that there would be 3-4 teams interested in Ericsson, Only problem is that he has a 19 team no trade list coming up July 1st so he'll only accept a trade to like 11 teams good luck finding a match.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea can't see the interest in ericcson with two more years remaining. Maybe next year if he's playing well with only a year left we can get a 3rd or something.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Nothing prevents us sending Coreau back and take McCollum to sit on the bench.

I'm quite sure they are gonna swap those goalies a lot on the final month. Coreau can play some week games, and be playing in AHL on the weekend they mostly play. And Coreau will go to play for the AHL playoffs.

Actually there is something that would prevent it. They only get 4 "non emergency" call ups after the TDL. I would imagine they have better players in GR to burn those on than a 28YO goalie that's over 3.00GAA and barely over .90 SV% in the AHL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the goalies because of a few factors:

A. If Coreau isn't in GR when the TDL passes, he won't be eligible to go back down for the AHL playoffs.

B. If they do send Coreau down for the TDL to be eligible for the AHL POs (likely on paper), bringing him back up right after burns one of those 4 call ups

C. If they do intend to put Coreau back in GR for the playoffs, he's still subject to waivers if he hits 30 days in the NHL... although I doubt he'd be claimed.

Today Holland said they weren't sure if they were going to let Coreau finish the year in the NHL or pick up a back up so he can get more games and playoffs in GR.

I wonder if this means the Wings try to grab a goalie for as close to free as possible before the deadline? Either a Leighton type to give GR some depth if Coreau doesn't go back down, or something like Lack or Chad Johnson for a conditional 7th to ride the pine in the NHL so Coreau can go back to GR.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Is this from your contact? Haven’t heard anything about Ericsson.

when i theorize something, I usually have help with my thoughts ;)

Hard to actually believe that there would be 3-4 teams interested in Ericsson, Only problem is that he has a 19 team no trade list coming up July 1st so he'll only accept a trade to like 11 teams good luck finding a match.

I could see E helping a playoff team. the strongest teams usually like rentals. But maybe a more bubble time team would be looking to add a real D man like DK or E. Or maybe this is where a conversation begins, doesnt happen at the deadline but gets done during the summer. I think odds of Nyquist being moved is higher than DK or E... but who knows, maybe we get surprised.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He was terrible to start the reason but has been much better since. Since Dec. 22, the 6-foot-6 netminder sports a 13-2-3 record along with a 1.92 goals against average and a 0.933 save percentage in 18 appearances including consecutive shutouts in his last 2 games.
McCollum has been terrible all year. Hopefully they give Machovsky plenty of opportunity.

McCollum has played better the past month as well and he is the Griffins #1 netminder for now unless the Wings get another goalie before the TDL. Machovsky will most likely get his first Griffins start either Saturday or Sunday here in GR vs Iowa. McCollum will be in net tomorrow night vs Chicago here.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I theorize this:

Oh god if he trades Ericsson I will send him enough money for a wine of his choosing

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I think the Griffins will be fine. But yeah should have them make the playoffs first or at least when they reach 80 percent chance to make it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad