League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
New Jersey in a tailspin. PK Subban flubbing the puck at the blue line and Grabner blowing by him for a SHG was entertaining, to say the least.

Why do people dislike Subban so much? All he does is give back to everyone, he is happy all the time and has an actual personality and not a robot like all the other "good Canadian boys" of the Don Cherry mindset.

I love the guy and think his parents did a great job to raise such a good man.

Last night in Jersey was the resumption of a program he started in Nashville were he pairs a law enforcement officer with a kid and they go to the game together. It's called "Blueline Buddies". After he signed his big contract he immediately donated 10 million dollars of his salary to a children's hospital in Montreal and continues to support it with a fund raiser every year. Since he left Montreal he has raised 3 million more dollars.

I don't know he seems like someone you could let your kid look up to. :dunno:

Jun 15, 2007
He didn't donate 10m of his personal money to charity. He pledged to raise 10m for it.

That's still very commendable but let's be accurate.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He didn't donate 10m of his personal money to charity. He pledged to raise 10m for it.

That's still very commendable but let's be accurate.

He pledged the money AND to fund raise for the hospital as well. He has kept his word even after being traded.

P.K. Subban donating $10 million to Montreal's Children's Hospital

"As part of the donation, that includes his initial donation as well as fundraising, Subban will be donating a total of $10 million over the next seven years to the hospital, according to Marie-Josee Gariepy of the Montreal Children's Hopital foundation"

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Why do people dislike Subban so much? All he does is give back to everyone, he is happy all the time and has an actual personality and not a robot like all the other "good Canadian boys" of the Don Cherry mindset.

Last night in Jersey was the resumption of a program he started in Nashville were he pairs a law enforcement officer with a kid and they go to the game together. It's called "Blueline Buddies". After he signed his big contract he immediately donated 10 million dollars of his salary to a children's hospital in Montreal and continues to support it with a fund raiser every year. Since he left Montreal he has raised 3 million more dollars.

I can see why people take issue with how active he is on social media when the team is losing and he's not exactly playing like a #1 D (which he's paid as).

It doesn't bother me, I like the guy, seems to go out of his way to make sure everyone is having fun and doing charity work, but I can see why it rubs some people up the wrong way

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
He pledged the money AND to fund raise for the hospital as well. He has kept his word even after being traded.

P.K. Subban donating $10 million to Montreal's Children's Hospital

"As part of the donation, that includes his initial donation as well as fundraising, Subban will be donating a total of $10 million over the next seven years to the hospital, according to Marie-Josee Gariepy of the Montreal Children's Hopital foundation"

You said he donated 10m of his salary to the hospital. He did not. He pledged to raise 10m for the hospital through his foundation, some of which I'm sure comes from him personally.

It's absolutely amazing what he did, and to the kids at the hospital it doesn't make a huge difference. Not disputing any of that part.

But I see this misconception everywhere that Subban personally took 10m from his 72m contract and gave it to the hospital.

You can read more about the misconception on this Reddit thread.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You said he donated 10m of his salary to the hospital. He did not. He pledged to raise 10m for the hospital through his foundation, some of which I'm sure comes from him personally.

It's absolutely amazing what he did, and to the kids at the hospital it doesn't make a huge difference. Not disputing any of that part.

But I see this misconception everywhere that Subban personally took 10m from his 72m contract and gave it to the hospital.

You can read more about the misconception on this Reddit thread.

I actually thought he had given $10 mil of his own money directly. Still admirable no doubt. Hope he hits his pledge.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
maybe for some, but overall this feels like the easy excuse.

I think Searle hit closer to the mark. He’s an in your face guy and that rubs a lot of people wrong when he’s underperforming for his contract.
He’s not an in your face kind of person and the black thing is more than you think.

Reactions: Calicaps

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
maybe for some, but overall this feels like the easy excuse.
It's obviously more subtle than that. He's a dominant personality who loves the sound of his own voice. That may naturally tend to grate on people, but because many people grow up learning implicitly that non-white people are lower in the social hierarchy, it can feel more objectionable to those people because he's black.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He’s not an in your face kind of person and the black thing is more than you think.

I call BS. He’s always on TV, social media etc....I don’t follow him and I seem to see him everywhere. That’s in my face. That said I don’t dislike him, he’s just there.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's obviously more subtle than that. He's a dominant personality who loves the sound of his own voice. That may naturally tend to grate on people, but because many people grow up learning implicitly that non-white people are lower in the social hierarchy, it can feel more objectionable to those people because he's black.

I’m sure some minority care what color his skin is.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Thinking about picking up tickets for the heritage game tonight. Not sure I want to spend over $1000.00 for a pair of tickets for a game involving 2 teams I don't really care about. Not to mention it's Fricken cold today.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I like what he does for the community. It's the flamboyant personality that rubs people the wrong way.
Off ice I think he is a good guy. I don't like him on the ice. And I have a feeling he might be a locker room cancer. He seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
the year is long, they have no experience at winning.... bura doesn’t strike me as a leader..... and the playoffs slow things down. Jury still out IMO. Although after all those draft spots they have put together some nice pieces again.
Lol of course Bura is not a leader. Jury is still out on how far their game will lead them come playoff time but I don't think their playoff spot is in question. They are definitely one of the 8 best WC teams both on ice and paper.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

I don’t hate Subban. Don’t get the wrong impression.

However, he loves the attention. So he’ll get it. Positive and negative. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad