League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Post-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Do people still think we should have kept Stephenson? Don’t get me wrong he is a good third center but so is that Eller guy who scored the Stanley cup winning goal.
Yes I think we should have tried to keep Stephenson. He is a solid 2 way player. He can play all 3 forward positions. Plays on pk and pp. Very good defensively. He chips in a bit offensively. The one thing no one here has ever noticed about Stephenson's game is that he doesn't turn the puck over very often. Instead of trying to make a cute play he will try to make the safe play.
The Caps actually decided to keep Leipsic over Stephenson. Where is Leipsic now?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If Montreal wins it all it's going to be the worst champion the NHL has ever had since expansion from original six. The only positive from that is Weber getting his ring. The best defenseman I have seen who never won the Norris.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Yeah I’m with you here. I don’t think bigger ice means the game will be faster or have more offense. I think more space means less chaos, more structure, and more long possessions.

Yep, Ovi once said that on bigger ice if you beat your man you still have to do a some skating to get a good scoring chance as opposed to the smaller ice where if you beat your man you're already in prime position.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
If Montreal wins it all it's going to be the worst champion the NHL has ever had since expansion from original six. The only positive from that is Weber getting his ring. The best defenseman I have seen who never won the Norris.
Weber was drafted 49th in 2003. Lot of scouting departments deserved a ding that year.
If you're wondering, we took Eric Fehr at 18 that year - ahead of Weber (49), Getzlaf (19), Perry (28) and Bergeron (45). At least we had a lot of company in our dumb-ness.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Yes I think we should have tried to keep Stephenson. He is a solid 2 way player. He can play all 3 forward positions. Plays on pk and pp. Very good defensively. He chips in a bit offensively. The one thing no one here has ever noticed about Stephenson's game is that he doesn't turn the puck over very often. Instead of trying to make a cute play he will try to make the safe play.
The Caps actually decided to keep Leipsic over Stephenson. Where is Leipsic now?
So who do you get rid of. You would rather have Stephenson than Eller? Clearly these playoffs showed that he isn’t a 1/2 center. I think Eller can do all the things Stephenson does and he can also fill a 1/2 C role better than Chandler.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

I think the 1986 Habs were the worst champion since expansion..That is if you go by winning percentage. They were a thoroughly mediocre team.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Can't believe the Habs are back. Stunning. And it really wasn't all Price, it was Vegas looking tired, scared, and intimidated out there.

Some Caps fan here was razzing Montreal last year, poking fun at the fact they haven't won a Cup since '92. Bad move.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Trotz.gif
Trotz.gif
Trotz.gif

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So who do you get rid of. You would rather have Stephenson than Eller? Clearly these playoffs showed that he isn’t a 1/2 center. I think Eller can do all the things Stephenson does and he can also fill a 1/2 C role better than Chandler.
Eller isn't much of an upgrade. In some ways Stephenson is better. Eller's puck management isn't always the best. He has some bad turnovers trying to leave the dzone and also at the offensive blue line. Sometimes tries to make cute plays instead of the smart play.
You also forgot Stephenson can play all 3 forward positions.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Islanders are sooo boring. What’s crazy is Montreal will be the more offensive team if they win. I mean Gallagher will be the most exciting player in the SCF. Ugh

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Islanders are sooo boring. What’s crazy is Montreal will be the more offensive team if they win. I mean Gallagher will be the most exciting player in the SCF. Ugh

It's not easy being an exciting team if you're not playing with the puck most of the period. haha

The play thus far has been rather lopsided.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Weber was drafted 49th in 2003. Lot of scouting departments deserved a ding that year.
If you're wondering, we took Eric Fehr at 18 that year - ahead of Weber (49), Getzlaf (19), Perry (28) and Bergeron (45). At least we had a lot of company in our dumb-ness.

they’re scouting 17 year olds. What do you expect?

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

At 17 years old David Robinson was a lightly recruited 6-2 shooting guard. What happened there was unusual to the degree but not at all in the general sense.

Do I remember right that Fehr was a big dog scorer in the WHL who had glass shoulders as a pro?

Sep 19, 2008
People threw all their noisemakers on the ice lol

Don't get why you would do that, 1) you could hurt someone 2) don't you want to take it home and display it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad