League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’m fine starting with both Miro and Leonard in the top 9 next year. Assume Oshie bumps down to 4RW.

We should make a huge splash defensively.
We definitely have the cap space. Can do both a top 6 forward and top 4 Dee. Noah Hannifan would be a great choice. True 1LD and bump fever back to 3LD.

Reactions: Misery74

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Miro isn’t ready for a full time gig yet in my humble opinion. He hasn’t showed the level of consistency yet for the big leagues. Let him build his offensive game in Hershey.
This is where my head is at as well. He would benefit from another year developing in Hershey and as a first call-up. We have a lot of youth rolling now so adding a vet top 6 would be a good move.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Would have been great to do this *before* they burned a contract year off of his ELC, not afterwards... sigh
Not necessarily. Spending the first year of his ELC might make his first regular contract cheaper.

Reactions: um

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I’ve been on record loving me some Protas (little bit tooooooo much, I’m aware). This is all good for him. Will be part of his evolution as a player, and will be better for it. I think a 40-50pts season is in the offing next year.

But obv I could be wrong. Very wrong!
I'm with you: 40-50 points next season will be an excellent stepping stone for 80 points the season after that ;)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm with you: 40-50 points next season will be an excellent stepping stone for 80 points the season after that ;)

1712531505536.jpeg

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Miro isn’t ready for a full time gig yet in my humble opinion. He hasn’t showed the level of consistency yet for the big leagues. Let him build his offensive game in Hershey.
I had a thought the other day that Miro might just be hitting a conditioning wall. It's tough for younger players to adjust at first to the 80+ game schedule of the AHL/NHL, and he's doing it on top of his prior cancer treatments.

21-22 - played 32 games between the VHL and MHL before undergoing treatments
22-23 - played 39 regular season games and 16 playoff games between the KHL, VHL, and MHL after returning to action
23-24 - played 68 games (so far) between the AHL and NHL

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I had a thought the other day that Miro might just be hitting a conditioning wall. It's tough for younger players to adjust at first to the 80+ game schedule of the AHL/NHL, and he's doing it on top of his prior cancer treatments.

21-22 - played 32 games between the VHL and MHL before undergoing treatments
22-23 - played 39 regular season games and 16 playoff games between the KHL, VHL, and MHL after returning to action
23-24 - played 68 games (so far) between the AHL and NHL
When he gets his conditioning up and adds 10-15 lbs of NHL strength he'll be a very nice piece. I like his decision making.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In terms of their Playoff chances, there are few teams that could help us out, a lot.

:sabres The obvious one: Not only is our next game away in Buffalo, they also play Panthers on Saturday.

:bruins The biggest one: Bruins losing last night means they not only didn't clinch Atlantic, but they let Panthers 2 points closer to them. Their next game? Away at Penguins on Saturday. The next game after that? Capitals at home. Atleast they have something to play for on Saturday now... let's hope they don't have when they visit the Caps.

:rangers They can basically put the dagger to Flyers in the next game. The game after that is vs. Isles.

:devils They play both Flyers and Isles still.

It'd be funny if this goes down the wire. Caps final game is away at Philly on Tuesday. Penguins visit the Isles on Wednesday for their final game. Woof.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
With the Devils out, hope it makes them angry enough to beat the Aisles.

Think the Flyers are toast...they would have to win their remaining 3 games and hope everyone (Caps, Aisles, Wangs, Pits) loses a majority of their remaining games.

Let's just hope there isn't any ties after 82 games and it doesn't come down to goal differential. haha ugh

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I tend to agree that the Flyers are dropping out - Torts has squeezed everything out of that team, used every button and lever, and the team is just out of gas.
And they have no goaltending. McLeod and Hart getting arrested really hurt their respective teams, but that’s the least of their concerns at the moment.

Separately, would be objectively hilarious if Ovi and Sid led their teams to the playoffs again. Everyone wants to crown the young kids but the old guys don’t appear quite ready to be put out to pasture just yet.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
And they have no goaltending. McLeod and Hart getting arrested really hurt their respective teams, but that’s the least of their concerns at the moment.

Separately, would be objectively hilarious if Ovi and Sid led their teams to the playoffs again. Everyone wants to crown the young kids but the old guys don’t appear quite ready to be put out to pasture just yet.
Obviously a different and more serious situation, but the irony of the Flyers finally finding a goaltender just to have this happen is classic Philly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad