League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Pie is irrelevant. That's horrible value for Schmidt.

That's Covid price for literally every non franchise player minus Anderson and Matt Murray

And yes Pie is relevant it's either make this trade and get pie or don't and don't get pie

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That's Covid price for literally every non franchise player minus Anderson and Matt Murray

And yes Pie is relevant it's either make this trade and get pie or don't and don't get pie
They also lose Stastny and are going to have to lose another roster player. If it’s MAF I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to retain salary. It’s a big gamble

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This whole thing is just weird.

No weirder than firing your coach that took you to the Cup finals to hire the coach that you beat in the playoffs 2 straight years with that exact coach you just fired. :dunno:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They also lose Stastny and are going to have to lose another roster player. If it’s MAF I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to retain salary. It’s a big gamble

Stastny had basically zero value even before covid, they're lucky they got to unload him

if the season is actually a thing they'll probably gun for a high end C at the deadline when cap hit is prorated and they get a feel for Glass at 2C. And with Lehner injured the Fleury thing is working out for them

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
No weirder than firing your coach that took you to the Cup finals to hire the coach that you beat in the playoffs 2 straight years with said coach you just fired. :dunno:

But not as weird as letting your cup winning coach walk to replace him by a p***y who set 2 years of your about to exit their prime core on fire

Reactions: tenken00

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Stastny had basically zero value even before covid, they're lucky they got to unload him

if the season is actually a thing they'll probably gun for a high end C at the deadline when cap hit is prorated and they get a feel for Glass at 2C. And with Lehner injured the Fleury thing is working out for them
They still have to move another player to be cap compliant. Losing another forward doesn’t seem ideal for a team who should be adding more offensive weapons. My guess is they are shopping Fleury hard and willing to retain a portion of his salary to get a deal done. Having $12m tied up to goaltending doesn’t seem like a great idea with a flat cap. Like I said, it’s a big gamble for Pietrangelo. Glad I’m not in their shoes

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They still have to move another player to be cap compliant. Losing another forward doesn’t seem ideal for a team who should be adding more offensive weapons. My guess is they are shopping Fleury hard and willing to retain a portion of his salary to get a deal done. Having $12m tied up to goaltending doesn’t seem like a great idea with a flat cap. Like I said, it’s a big gamble for Pietrangelo. Glad I’m not in their shoes
They'll probably ltir Lehner and work it out from there

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
GMGM is the worst GM in the league.
Even ignoring the fact he’s been promoted above GM in Vegas, this is the kind of move Caps fans criticized him for never making in Washington. The type of “all in” deal that worries less about value than it does about trying to put a team over the hump.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s a fascinating set of choices by Vegas this offseason.

Pietrangelo is a better player than Schmidt. And they got a 3rd. In a vacuum, that’s good for them.

they boxed themselves into a corner with their Goalies....so they need to fix that. Won’t be inexpensive to accomplish, I wouldn’t think. In a vacuum, that’s bad for them.

they’ve collected a nice set of shiny toys the past few seasons. Let’s see if it works.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Even ignoring the fact he’s been promoted above GM in Vegas, this is the kind of move Caps fans criticized him for never making in Washington. The type of “all in” deal that worries less about value than it does about trying to put a team over the hump.
Yeah, I don't understand why his is bad now. IMHO, he's doing the right things now. Getting for nothing 2 franchise players in Pietro and Stone. These types of players aren't easy to come by. Shmidt was the price, he's a good player, but can be obtained and signed for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad