NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion **Capitals 2017-18 Stanley Cup Champs**

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Tampa was blown out in game one last round too. Not too worried about them yet.
True, but that was a one goal game heading to the third and Tampa actually outshot Boston by quite a bit in that game. Tampa does not even look like they showed up for this game. How does a team with that talent and experience have 8 shots through nearly two periods in a home playoff game. If this was the Isles, we would be killing them. It is an embarrassing effort.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True, but that was a one goal game heading to the third and Tampa actually outshot Boston by quite a bit in that game. Tampa does not even look like they showed up for this game. How does a team with that talent and experience have 8 shots through nearly two periods in a home playoff game. If this was the Isles, we would be killing them. It is an embarrassing effort.

No doubt it's embarrassing, but I'm expecting them to show up for game 2. They can't be happy about this performance.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Very blue collar effort by the caps last night. Go in, get the job done. Quietly go about their business.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I went from somewhat respectable 6-for-8 in the first round (damn Pacific) to 0-for-4 in the second round. Haven't had that level of failure for quite some time. Now I predict Jets vs Lightning.

PS. My personal best was 14-for-15 in 2000/01 with the only mistake made in the cup final.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lightning are totally blowing it. That’s a team that on paper appears to have everything. What do they do if they fail to Cup this year?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Lightning are totally blowing it. That’s a team that on paper appears to have everything. What do they do if they fail to Cup this year?
I think that’s their problem the first two games - they think they’re better on paper so they don’t have to go out and play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Now I'm worried. They tied that game up and then the wheels fell off again at the end of the second. Can't have that this time of year. Mistake free hockey from here on out, can they do it?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Now I'm worried. They tied that game up and then the wheels fell off again at the end of the second. Can't have that this time of year. Mistake free hockey from here on out, can they do it?
Tampa just lost the first 2 games AT HOME! You can explain away losing the first game as "everyone lays an egg once in a while". You can't explain away last night as anything more than Washington is outskating the Lightining, outworking the Lightning, nd Holtby has outplayed Vasilevskiy.

You should be worried.

Reactions: Surfrat

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tampa just lost the first 2 games AT HOME! You can explain away losing the first game as "everyone lays an egg once in a while". You can't explain away last night as anything more than Washington is outskating the Lightining, outworking the Lightning, nd Holtby has outplayed Vasilevskiy.

You should be worried.

I also think they're letting Wilson get in their heads. He seems to be involved in everything after the whistle.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I also think they're letting Wilson get in their heads. He seems to be involved in everything after the whistle.

If Washington and Winnipeg make it to the Cup... I wonder if the typical reactionary nhl will decide they need to go heavy again when roster building.

Obviously it shouldn’t be overlooked that both teams are fast and skilled too. But playing heavy style is strongly tied to both team’s character.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Washington and Winnipeg make it to the Cup... I wonder if the typical reactionary nhl will decide they need to go heavy again when roster building.

Obviously it shouldn’t be overlooked that both teams are fast and skilled too. But playing heavy style is strongly tied to both team’s character.
You can play a heavy game when those type of guys have talent. Ovechkin is 6’3”, 245lbs. Byfuglien is 6’5”, 270lbs. Lots of skill in those big bodies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Great call. It could even impact the draft. Smaller players could drop a bit.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Vegas has done an incredible job coaching. Every time they have a set back in the playoffs they seem to bounce right back.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Nice story about Yzerman drafting Russian players in the Athletic. He learned a lot from his Detroit days and isn't afraid to take calculated risks. Isles won't even draft guys from Western Europe. Unbelievable.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If Vegas were to win the cup this year, there’s only one way to go but down. Idk if that bodes well for building a fan base. I guess it works for the instant gratification generation, but it won’t help build a long term fan base.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad