NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion **Capitals 2017-18 Stanley Cup Champs**

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I may be in the minority around here, but I’m happy for the Caps. Finally get the monkey off their back, prove that they aren’t chokers, AND beat the Pens. Ovi and Backstrom deserve the ECF IMHO. They won’t get any further, but so what.

Screw the Caps and that POS Wilson. Can't wait until he Cooke's himself out of the league, screw the mouth breathers that defend him too.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So now it’s Bettman’s fault the islanders suck. Got it.

Islanders suck because of their management via ownership. Bettman and the Board of governors are responsible for approving every Islander sale since 1993.

With the most recent sale of the Islanders, I believe they have improved their +/- rating... with regards to owners who have been incarcerated and those who have not. But there is still time to even that out. ;)

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I may be in the minority around here, but I’m happy for the Caps. Finally get the monkey off their back, prove that they aren’t chokers, AND beat the Pens. Ovi and Backstrom deserve the ECF IMHO. They won’t get any further, but so what.
Proved that they aren't chokers by winning once out of 20 2nd round attempts? I don't know man, that's still pretty choke-y.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don’t think they were “handed” anything. Sure they had a much more favorable draft but they were picking backup goalies, bottom pairing defensemen and third and fourth liners. Great job by the scouts, management and coaching staff.

I agree. They were given leftovers from the rest of the teams. It was more favorable than other expansion teams, but it's not like they plucked the Stamkos or Crosby off every team.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Proved that they aren't chokers by winning once out of 20 2nd round attempts? I don't know man, that's still pretty choke-y.

Being an Islander fan has given me a lenient perception on these kinds of things.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What a simple way to look at it. I love an underdog story, but the entity that is the Golden Knights is not an underdog when you consider the rules that they were playing under were literally not the same as the other 30 NHL teams.

The truth is that the Golden Knights were given a favorable way to build their team compared with any other team who started a total rebuild. Imagine if this offseason the Isles were just awarded a James Neal, Jonathan Marchessault, or William Karlsson...Or first round picks to not take those guys - In addition to all of the isles other draft picks. Think that would accelerate the Isles rebuild?

The Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings, Lightning, etc all had to suck for multiple years to accumulate the high draft picks to take players like Doughty, Kane, Hedman, Stamkos, Teows, Crosby, Malkin, and on and on and on.

The Knights were not just handed good talent, but good talent ready to play. And unlike the risk of choosing 18 years olds who may never make it, even the 3rd/4th line talent they could chose from was NHL proven.

Imagine 31 people want to start a small business, but you give only one of them $100,000 to start. That is the Golden Knights, but I guess that's what happens when you pay 500 million just to join the league.

I like underdogs, but when they are truly underdogs. Vegas is an expansion team in name only. There are a handful of teams that would swap situations with them right now considering their young talent, draft picks, and cap space and sadly...The Isles should be one of them if they lose Tavares.

And the only reason they had that is because the pool of good NHLers has increased immensely over the years. I could argue you are looking at it simply. In reality, a majority of the players on the Golden Knights are flourishing because they weren't given a legitimate shot with their own club, or were stuck behind players presumed better than them. Every step forward in the playoffs is a huge win for everyone of those guys who didn't get a chance to shine.

The Blackhawks and Penguins sucked so they were able to draft superstars to win. The Golden Knights are doing it with a bunch of working class guys and only really two "stars" they got right away if you think about it. Guess anybody can skew this the way they want, but since I don't wake up every day wishing I would die like some people, I'm looking at this in a positive light. It's pretty impressive to see them get the chemistry with each other right away and they are winning games by working hard, not by being more talented than the teams they are playing against.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I know a lot of you folks hate the Caps, but I'd like to see Ovechkin get a Cup title and Conn Smythe to his name.

I respect his talent and skill, and would like to see this generational talent rack up the hardware.

Then, when he's retired, he can go back to Russia and **** Putin all he wants.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Preds are a no-show for Game 7. Rinne gives up 2 softies and gets pulled. Down 2-0 early

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Love the way Winnipeg has been built. Drafting talented guys and hitting on their first round picks. Every first round pick they make turns into a legit top 6 forward/4 defenseman. Meanwhile most of our first rounders bust.

I think Winnipeg and Tampa are on a collision course.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
if the Predators were a Canadian team or a major market team I am guessing Tavares would be licking his chops to join them, as is I am guessing he is not interested in playing in a smaller market

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
if the Predators were a Canadian team or a major market team I am guessing Tavares would be licking his chops to join them, as is I am guessing he is not interested in playing in a smaller market

You are guessing many things, my friend. Also, Tavares is no Marchand to be licking anything.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Love the way Winnipeg has been built. Drafting talented guys and hitting on their first round picks. Every first round pick they make turns into a legit top 6 forward/4 defenseman. Meanwhile most of our first rounders bust.

I think Winnipeg and Tampa are on a collision course.

Yes I agree, Winnipeg is loaded with 1st rounders that panned out. This Conner kid is just another example of a really good pick by them. (we got Barzal so no worries finally) But can anyone tell me that scouts really thought MDC had better skills than Ehlers? Or Scheifle was really worse than Strome? Just have to nail these 1st rounders. The Isles are in position in this 2018 draft to get some legit NHL players. Let' see what happens...

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It comes down to goalies. You do not need them to be great, but just solid and not letting in soft goals. If Isles wants to go somewhere far the next few years, they need to solve the goalie issue. I heard on the Vancouver sport talk radio that Vancouver Giants has a G prospect worth looking into. They should check him out for the draft (in the 2nd round). Sorokin has potential but Isles cannot count on only him nor the UFA nor trade market. Draft your own and hope he develops well and will play like the Jets did.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I know a lot of you folks hate the Caps, but I'd like to see Ovechkin get a Cup title and Conn Smythe to his name.

I respect his talent and skill, and would like to see this generational talent rack up the hardware.

Then, when he's retired, he can go back to Russia and **** Putin all he wants.
Of all the remaining teams, Caps are the last team I want to win it all.
I should be more grateful.
They did kicks the Pens out :laugh:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think Washington takes the series. No pressure on them. It’s their year.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What an absolute embarrassing performance by Tampa so far. 4 shots halfway through the game? That team has far too much talent to be coming out in game one of the conference finals in front of their home fans with that kind of effort. Washington has as many goals as Tampa has shots.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I actually cannot believe just how bad Tampa is playing. I mean it is not like Washington is playing overwhelmingly amazing, they are playing fine, but Tampa cannot even complete a pass, they cannot even skate it up the ice. Did they think they just had to take the ice and Washington would fold?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tampa was blown out in game one last round too. Not too worried about them yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad