News: NHL players to KHL in 2018 offseason

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
First one I looked up at random was Valiev. He doesn't have an NHL contract.
OK. Tell me how is it possible to play the NHL without the NHL contract. I am not asking this back-up one-night goalies. And how is it possible to trade a player without NHL contract to Habs for Plekanec and co. What a luck for the AHL team!

Btw, it would be great to trade a player without NHL contract, for example a guy with SHL/Liiga/KHL contract, to the NHL team and accquire financial compensation or a player as exchange! I am for it!

Btw, per reports SKA paid around 1,6 million USD for two players to another KHL team (Amur). For comparison, the NHL pays 200-250 000 USD for much better prospect to European clubs. And Swedes love it!

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I wouldn't have been surprised had Pedan forced his way into the NHL next year, he was really solid with WBS...but given that he turns 25 in the off-season I can get why he doesn't want to spend another season sitting 8th or 9th on the depth chart.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
OK. Tell me how is it possible to play the NHL without the NHL contract. I am not asking this back-up one-night goalies. And how is it possible to trade a player without NHL contract to Habs for Plekanec and co. What a luck for the AHL team!

Btw, it would be great to trade a player without NHL contract, for example a guy with SHL/Liiga/KHL contract, to the NHL team and accquire financial compensation or a player as exchange! I am for it!

Btw, per reports SKA paid around 1,6 million USD for two players to another KHL team (Amur). For comparison, the NHL pays 200-250 000 USD for much better prospect to European clubs. And Swedes love it!

Valiev had a contract with an NHL team when he was traded. Teams can also trade players whose rights they own. Valiev is a RFA. He has no contract for next year but his rights are still owned by the NHL team in Montreal.

Your sarcastic use of exclamation points is amusing seeing how little it seems you understand about how the league works.

And for what it's worth, the person you originally quoted was joking that none of these players are "NHL players" in the sense that none have graduated to full time NHL regulars. It was a joke. Lighten up.

Reactions: TS Quint

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Valiev had a contract with an NHL team when he was traded. Teams can also trade players whose rights they own. Valiev is a RFA. He has no contract for next year but his rights are still owned by the NHL team in Montreal.

Your sarcastic use of exclamation points is amusing seeing how little it seems you understand about how the league works.

And for what it's worth, the person you originally quoted was joking that none of these players are "NHL players" in the sense that none have graduated to full time NHL regulars. It was a joke. Lighten up.
I am not talking about next season, I am talking about 2017/2018 season. According to eliteprospects, Valiev played in the NHL this season. Does it mean he has not had a NHL contract in 2017/2018 season?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I am not talking about next season, I am talking about 2017/2018 season. According to eliteprospects, Valiev played in the NHL this season. Does it mean he has not had a NHL contract in 2017/2018 season?

You used the simple present tense. "Does have", or "he has" implies a current status, not a recent past one. So the phrase you are looking for is "he did have an NHL contract". "He currently does not have an NHL contract".

I'm not sure if you're being obtuse or there is a language issue at play.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
You used the simple present tense. "Does have", or "he has" implies a current status, not a recent past one. So the phrase you are looking for is "he did have an NHL contract". "He currently does not have an NHL contract".

I'm not sure if you're being obtuse or there is a language issue at play.

They are still under contract until June 30th. Maybe it's you who "doesn't understand how the league works"...

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
They are still under contract until June 30th. Maybe it's you who "doesn't understand how the league works"...
Oh snap. OP was talking about players going back to Russia for the KHL free agency period. For all intents and purposes, if your team isn't still playing in the playoffs it's your offseason. Exit interviews etc. all done. Let's not be pedantic, I wasn't. I literally didn't understand the nonsense that was being sent my way.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like this is speculation.

Dyblenko had some rough moments at times with Binghamton, but it seems like they ended on a good note and he's signed through next year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I do not know why he is coming back.

I just added this "Toronto doctors story" because he said it to Russian media a few weeks ago. He had problems with the organisation all the time. You can read it here.

But how is it even relevant? He is no longer with Toronto. So his decision to stay with St. Louis, surely isn't impacted by the way he felt Toronto treated him.

Reactions: Chainshot

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Disappointed Slep is going if this is true. Was hoping he would give it one more year.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
As said, NHL contracts finish on June 30. Today Valiev has a NHL contract even if his team is not in play-off.

If a player with NHL contract (in latest season) wants to sign with a KHL team, he needs to be RFA or UFA in the NHL. And vice versa. If @glovesave_35 wants to play this game, you will never find a player with NHL contract signing in the KHL and you will never find a player with KHL contract singing in the NHL. You can find only a player who played in the NHL´s or the KHL´s system last season.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
But how is it even relevant? He is no longer with Toronto. So his decision to stay with St. Louis, surely isn't impacted by the way he felt Toronto treated him.
I just informed you about the story. Perhaps, it was written in NA media as well.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Idiotic squabbling aside - thanks for the updates vorky. Keep them coming.

Many of these guys are still quite young, would not be surprising to see a few of them return home, get some quality playing time and make themselves attractive to NHL clubs again in a few years, should they decide to give it another attempt.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Sucks about Soshnikov. Was hoping he would work out for St Louis. Just a victim of numbers here in TO. Very similar to Komarov when he first started, but more skilled.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I do not know why he is coming back.

I just added this "Toronto doctors story" because he said it to Russian media a few weeks ago. He had problems with the organisation all the time. You can read it here.

the main "problem" he had was he wasnt good enough to claim a wing spot in our lineup. Claiming Dr's treated his concussion poorly is pure deflecting after his NHL career has failed

varano

Jun 27, 2013
the main "problem" he had was he wasnt good enough to claim a wing spot in our lineup. Claiming Dr's treated his concussion poorly is pure deflecting after his NHL career has failed
Seems about right.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think you’re taking things a little to serious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad