The Sun: NHL plans to commemorate Leafs' 100th anniversary - just not with all-star game

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't even know why I bother posting in it sometimes. The bias and idiocy is honestly amazing.

I can go stretches where I just avoid the hockey topics altogether. The other boards and threads can be a breath of fresh air.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I tried to look on the bright side...tried to stay positive. It's only an all-star game, Toronto will get an outdoor game (not winter classic) and most likely the draft...Nope, it's ridiculous. I can understand LA and St Louis...Chicago I can't.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I tried to look on the bright side...tried to stay positive. It's only an all-star game, Toronto will get an outdoor game (not winter classic) and most likely the draft...Nope, it's ridiculous. I can understand LA and St Louis...Chicago I can't.

Chicago doesn't make sense from any perspective. If the NHL intends to grow the game, hosting it in an already successful market isn't the way to do it. I get that the Hawks have never hosted a draft before, but they don't have any franchise milestone this year. At least it was one of the teams turning 50 then the excuse could make more sense. As it stands with Chicago, it doesn't and it's not like they couldn't host it in 2018. The Hawks aren't even going to have a high pick, hell they may not have a first round pick at all. Just all around a mind boggling decision. It's like the NHL is going out of it's way to piss us off.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Chicago doesn't make sense from any perspective. If the NHL intends to grow the game, hosting it in an already successful market isn't the way to do it. I get that the Hawks have never hosted a draft before, but they don't have any franchise milestone this year. At least it was one of the teams turning 50 then the excuse could make more sense. As it stands with Chicago, it doesn't and it's not like they couldn't host it in 2018. The Hawks aren't even going to have a high pick, hell they may not have a first round pick at all. Just all around a mind boggling decision. It's like the NHL is going out of it's way to piss us off.

Agreed with everything you said. It would still suck with a 50th anniversary team, but I could understand it and accept it.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42182

"Toronto’s entry in the newly formed National Hockey League for the 1917-18 season played its first game on December 19, 1917 against the Montreal Wanderers. Toronto scored a total of nine goals but still lost the game by a count of 10-9. Ironically, it was the only win for the Montreal Wanderers in the NHL as the team folded operations when their arena burnt down after only six games."

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that not make the 17/18 season the 100 year anniversary not the 16/17 season????

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42182

"Toronto’s entry in the newly formed National Hockey League for the 1917-18 season played its first game on December 19, 1917 against the Montreal Wanderers. Toronto scored a total of nine goals but still lost the game by a count of 10-9. Ironically, it was the only win for the Montreal Wanderers in the NHL as the team folded operations when their arena burnt down after only six games."

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that not make the 17/18 season the 100 year anniversary not the 16/17 season????

I assume that what is really being counted is the number of seasons. The 2016/17 will be the 100th NHL season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/11/chicago-to-host-nhl-draft-report

Reports this week suggesting the Blues who, like the Kings, will be celebrating 50 years in the NHL, could host the Blackhawks in the 2017 Winter Classic. As such, an outdoor game in Toronto would most likely be a Heritage Classic.

During the Canadiens 100th anniversary in 2008-09, Montreal played host to both the all-star game and the draft.

Years later, with those two events having been awarded to other markets for 2017, Leafs Nation waits and wonders what’s left.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

January 1st is still open it looks like, so I guess if we even do have an outdoor game it'll probably be something like "Leafs Centennial Classic" I suppose. No support from the NHL whatsoever.

Thanks for the help Bettman and company. :thumbu:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lol Winnipeg is getting outdoor game before us. Can't believe it. Are they intentionally pissing us off?.

bettman has stated before that winnipeg would be the first canadian franchise to host a outdoor game winter classic in canada. i think its a promise he made to the winnipeg ownership. he's just fulfilling that promise.

i still think we'll get the habs/leafs heritage classic on jan 1.

Last edited:

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
bettman has stated before that winnipeg would be the first canadian franchise to host an outdoor game in canada. i think its a promise he made to the winnipeg ownership. he's just fulfilling that promise.

Kinda stupid promise if true. It shows how little they care about the leafs though. There have been reports since 2014 about leafs intentions yet they still haven't figure out what to do. I hope shanny says something about it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
bettman has stated before that winnipeg would be the first canadian franchise to host an outdoor game in canada. i think its a promise he made to the winnipeg ownership. he's just fulfilling that promise.

Edmonton already hosted that first game 13 years ago.

alumni-teams-3E9D1758.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kinda stupid promise if true. It shows how little they care about the leafs though. There have been reports since 2014 about leafs intentions yet they still haven't figure out what to do. I hope shanny says something about it.

There should be a protest from Toronto on this one. The Leafs should consider abandoning the revenue sharing program. Undo the salary cap too.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Edmonton already hosted that first game 13 years ago.

true. i meant the first winter classic in canada. i got it mixed up by saying outdoor game. my bad.

winter classic still hasn't been hosted in canada yet. and i guess winnipeg isn't getting that promise yet.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
There should be a protest from Toronto on this one. The Leafs should consider abandoning the revenue sharing program. Undo the salary cap too.

Wish we could do that. The next best thing is leafs should boycott betman if they get the outdoor game. It should be betman free zone

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
true. i meant the first winter classic in canada. i got it mixed up by saying outdoor game. my bad.

winter classic still hasn't been hosted in canada yet. and i guess winnipeg isn't getting that promise.

At this point, I'm just shaking my head at the NHL's tone deaf DGAF attitude towards Toronto.

They can't even give us a Stadium Series? A Centennial Classic? Way to treat this market like a black sheep franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad