The Sun: NHL plans to commemorate Leafs' 100th anniversary - just not with all-star game

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have to say. the NHL is super, super smart. (for being super super dumb).

Tickets have already been sold in blocks for the World Cup before any of this started. so it's pretty much already paid for. (so like they'll probably lose out (MAYBE ) on some single tickets, but the major blocks? paid for.

then be all like "Hey - we're GONNA DO SOMETHING for you Leafs."

then. give everyone, everything else.

Smart.

honestly - i don't even care anymore. I just seriously, sincerely hope that either
A: Shanahan/Lou have something that blows everything out of the water, in conjunction with the league (or they'll just do other stuff). and that

B: the Leafs flat out vote against revenue sharing. the cap is here and always will be, but quite honestly, I'd very much like to keep our revenue to ourselves, especially, when the generators of said revenue keeps being pooped on by everyone else.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs will have to distinguish their anniversary from the Ottawa Senators' fake 100th anniversary and Montreal equivalent duration in the league. Perhaps call it "A Celebration of Toronto's 100 seasons in the NHL"? In the end, it's a shared 100th birthday for the NHL that 3 franchises can stake claims to.

I think the celebration in 2027 of the 100th anniversary of the name change to the Toronto Maple Leafs will be a more significant event.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The Leafs will have to distinguish their anniversary from the Ottawa Senators' fake 100th anniversary and Montreal equivalent duration in the league. Perhaps call it "A Celebration of Toronto's 100 seasons in the NHL"? In the end, it's a shared 100th birthday for the NHL that 3 franchises can stake claims to.

I think the celebration in 2027 of the 100th anniversary of the name change to the Toronto Maple Leafs will be a more significant event.

No way. In the past, the Leafs pretended like both 1917 and 1927 were the beginning of the franchise in order to milk more money with more anniversary promotions. And it worked. I even have a "75th anniversary" VHS from 2002, which I regret buying. All that does is take 10 years off our history, not to mention 2 cups and our pioneer stars. The franchise should respect that it has its beginnings in 1917 only. It sounds like they are finally doing that.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Man, the main board is hilarious. Go read the Chicago 2017 draft thread. HF double standards and hypocrisy at its finest.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No more revenue sharing! I don't want to see my nosebleed standing room money funneled out somewhere so a Sun Belt team can give away free tickets to their Stanley Cup winning team to casual fans in flip flops!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
No way. In the past, the Leafs pretended like both 1917 and 1927 were the beginning of the franchise in order to milk more money with more anniversary promotions. And it worked. I even have a "75th anniversary" VHS from 2002, which I regret buying. All that does is take 10 years off our history, not to mention 2 cups and our pioneer stars. The franchise should respect that it has its beginnings in 1917 only. It sounds like they are finally doing that.

It's all arbitrary celebrations that happen to have the right sexy numbers to sell us easy marks stuff we don't need.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
From the Star a few days ago.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-toronto-during-shared-centennial-season.html

The Maple Leafs, at one point, were in the running for the Winter Classic. (It is believed NBC heavily objected.) And they were in the running for the all-star game, too.

that should tell everyone who controls things.:shakehead
Wow this only makes me hate NBC even more. :rant:

As for Toronto not getting the 2017 draft where is the rational decision behind that? Now after seeing that become true I truly believe the Leafs got screwed and the NHL feels our centennial season means nothing to them. It's a dam shame that the Leafs are getting disrespected and it makes me sick. :rant:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well its been confirmed that the hawks are getting 2017 draft(links on thread in the main board.) So instead of celebrating the leafs, the league ignores us and gives us nothing. **** the nhl. Hopefully ratings and at tendency for the WC will be abysmal. Sigh who am I kidding, ppl will probably still go and keep giving Bettany more reason to treat us like an afterthought. 2027 is another damn 11 years, I really don't want to wait so long.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What does the N stand for in NHL? NBC Hockey League? Bettman has sold the game's soul.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The NHL will commemorate the Toronto Maple Leafs 100th season with a handshake and a $50 gift card to Outback Steakhouse

Cotton

May 13, 2013
And nobody is going to do anything about it either - and Bettman knows this, which means nothing will ever change.

At the very least I'd hope our media would address it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And nobody is going to do anything about it either - and Bettman knows this, which means nothing will ever change.

At the very least I'd hope our media would address it.

We should make a lot of noise about this as a fanbase and city. If there's a 100th NHL anniversary patch at some point the Leafs should protest and not wear it or something like that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, it is Chicago's 100th Anniversary, so it makes sense they would get both involvement in the Winter Classic and the Entry Draft

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leaf fans need to band together and collectively boycott this ****. This is ridiculous, pisses me off. "The league will commemorate the leafs 100th year" nice ****ing joke. LA gets ASG for their milestone of 50 years, St.Louis the WC for their 50th year, Jets get the heritage classic, Pitts/Philly get the stadium series, Chicago gets the draft. It's pathetic. The league dies for and relies on the maple leafs money for all pathetic and dying markets, then treats the organization like complete ****. Maple leafs need to stop the revenue sharing keeping garbage franchises alive and make some kind of statement. This is beyond ridiculous. Centennial year for an original 6 team, and this is what happens. To all the other fans running their mouths about this, i hope they get slighted for their milestone years/centennial year. We'll see if the reaction is the same. Can't wait to see how Chicago, Detroit, Boston, NYR are treated for their 100s.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leaf fans need to band together and collectively boycott this ****. This is ridiculous, pisses me off. "The league will commemorate the leafs 100th year" nice ****ing joke. LA gets ASG for their milestone of 50 years, St.Louis the WC for their 50th year, Jets get the heritage classic, Pitts/Philly get the stadium series, Chicago gets the draft. It's pathetic. The league dies for and relies on the maple leafs money for all pathetic and dying markets, then treats the organization like complete ****. Maple leafs need to stop the revenue sharing keeping garbage franchises alive and make some kind of statement. This is beyond ridiculous. Centennial year for an original 6 team, and this is what happens. To all the other fans running their mouths about this, i hope they get slighted for their milestone years/centennial year. We'll see if the reaction is the same. Can't wait to see how Chicago, Detroit, Boston, NYR are treated for their 100s.
The Red Wings, Blackhawks and Rangers will have their 100th anniversary's in the same season in 2026. So let's see the NHL do something when three teams will want everything and all the attention.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The Red Wings, Blackhawks and Rangers will have their 100th anniversary's in the same season in 2026. So let's see the NHL do something when three teams will want everything and all the attention.

the way Chicago fans are going on "100 is just a number, and it doesn't matter.".

so. hopefully. the League takes that same attitude with them.

NonisMustGo*

Sure we haven't been successful in terms of Championships lately, but Leaf finances have been propping up that rat Bettmann's pet projects in non hockey markets for years. Another slap in the face for Leaf fans... who deserve to be entitled aince they are seen as a blank check by Bettmann and his sniveling cockroaches.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
the way Chicago fans are going on "100 is just a number, and it doesn't matter.".

so. hopefully. the League takes that same attitude with them.

By 2026, those Chicago fans probably would have lose all interests in Hawks since their core will be retire.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't even know why I bother posting in it sometimes. The bias and idiocy is honestly amazing.

right?
i mean some times y'all make me want to practice my Spock eyebrow, but at least the bias/idiocy is dialed down to at least a seven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad