The Sun: NHL plans to commemorate Leafs' 100th anniversary - just not with all-star game

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/3...ial-anniversary---just-not-with-all-star-game

“We obviously recognize the importance of next year for the Maple Leafs organization and for the National Hockey League,†Daly told Postmedia Saturday evening. “We obviously also understand the importance of the Toronto marketplace to the National Hockey League. Of course we’re going to look at options to appropriately celebrate that importance at an appropriate time. Maybe that’s during the 2017 calendar year.

“We understand the organization’s interest. We also understand the issue. And we’ll work with them like we always have.â€

After reading this I would assume the NHL will give the Leafs a Winter Classic and hosting the 2017 Draft. They can't say just because Toronto is hosting the 2016 World Cup and be happy with only that.

mikebel111*

I would love to have the draft and the Winter Classic.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a slap in the face for the NHL to prioritize the LA Kings 50th over Toronto's 100th.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't mind LA getting the all star game. The draft and winter classic are far more important to me.
Assuming we even get those. Look at that pathetic corporate speak. They won't even guarantee the Leafs will be celebrated next season. Just....at an appropriate time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
World Cup doesn't count.

It's an international event, not an NHL event, when all is said and done.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
A Classic and the draft will be awesome. Don't care about the ASG to be honest.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Would rather have the draft than anything else. The winter classic would be amazing for the city and is great fun as a one time event. But the team as of this moment isn't good. If I'm going to freeze my tushy I want to see some good players out there. Not a bunch of grinders and maybes. Maybe in 2017/18 it can work.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
World Cup doesn't count.

It's an international event, not an NHL event, when all is said and done.
I brought up the World Cup factor because of this quote from the story.

The league feels that, because Toronto will be the site for the entire World Cup tournament, the city already is getting a major event as part of the Leafs 100th anniversary festivities.

Now if the NHL really did feel that way and Toronto does not get to host the 2017 Winter Classic and the 2017 Draft, that's going to be a major insult to the Leafs and all Leafs fans.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming we even get those. Look at that pathetic corporate speak. They won't even guarantee the Leafs will be celebrated next season. Just....at an appropriate time.
Yet the NHL thinks it's alright to celebrate the Kings 50th anniversary by giving them the All Star Game. Seriously when any of the Original 6 teams celebrated their 50th anniversary's I don't remember the NHL making a big deal about it. If anything those teams celebrated their 75th anniversary's, because I remember the Rangers, Blackhawks and Bruins wearing jersey patches and making them their logo at centre ice in their arenas. The Leafs didn't wear a 75th patch logo, they just put the logo at centre ice of the ACC and on their game pucks, although with their 75th anniversary game celebration against Buffalo. Although I can't remember the league making a big deal about it compared to how they mention the Kings 50th anniversary.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What a bunch of ****ing *****.

It's a slap in the face for the NHL to prioritize the LA Kings 50th over Toronto's 100th.

Feels more like a kick in the teeth but same sentiment.

We better be getting everything else. Draft and Winter Classic should be here without a doubt.

Hey NHL, your welcome for having the Leafs prop up your failed markets.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I am not a big fan of the All-Star Game but considering how much publicity and the number of events the NHL gave Montreal for their 100th season I was very upset to hear that the Kings were getting it.

Also, during the announcement I didnt like how Bettman it was to celebrate the Kings 50th anniversary and the leagues 100th. It's not just the Kings 50th, it's also the Penguins, Blues, Flyers, and Stars. So do the Kings get league-wide recognition? Because seconds later Bettman said how the Kings have been an impressive team the past few years...

Its like he used the 50th as an excuse to give it to LA and then in case Leafs fans argued that 100>>>50 he had to add the part about being an impressive team. Almost like a backhanded compliment.

However, if the Leafs can get the Draft AND the Winter Classic I dont care at all about the All-Star Game in LA.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am not a big fan of the All-Star Game but considering how much publicity and the number of events the NHL gave Montreal for their 100th season I was very upset to hear that the Kings were getting it.

Also, during the announcement I didnt like how Bettman it was to celebrate the Kings 50th anniversary and the leagues 100th. It's not just the Kings 50th, it's also the Penguins, Blues, Flyers, and Stars. So do the Kings get league-wide recognition? Because seconds later Bettman said how the Kings have been an impressive team the past few years...

Its like he used the 50th as an excuse to give it to LA and then in case Leafs fans argued that 100>>>50 he had to add the part about being an impressive team. Almost like a backhanded compliment.

However, if the Leafs can get the Draft AND the Winter Classic I dont care at all about the All-Star Game in LA.
I just thought of one reason the NHL and NBC would not give the Leafs a Winter Classic next year. Since you mentioned it was also the Penguins and Flyers celebrating their 50th anniversary season, what if they are picked to play each other in the Winter Classic in Beaver Stadium at Penn State University. I remember reading a while ago that is something they might consider doing and the Bettman can use their 50th anniversary's as an excuse. What's even worse if that happened it would be their 3rd time each playing in a Winter Classic. Pittsburgh played in the 2008 and 2011 WC's. Philadelphia played in the 2010 and 2012 WC's.

Also besides the Leafs 100th anniversary the NHL also owes them a Winter Classic based on this precedent. Every team who first played in a Winter Classic as the visitors went onto to host it. The only team who can't host it is the Rangers because of some tax rule which says all their home games must be played at MSG. That's why they were the "visiting team" when they played those 2 Stadium Series games at Yankee Stadium, however in reality they were the home team, just not officially. Anyway since the Leafs were the visiting team in the 2014 Winter Classic that right there shows they deserve to host it.

OvenMittz*

I would love to have the draft and the Winter Classic.

This. I don't care about the ASG if it means we get everything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.. bettmans a snake, and is trying desperately to market NHL to America.

The draft in Toronto would be huge, not only because would we be getting a top 10 pick (we might still be as bad next year) but knowing we are rebuilding the city will be already paying close attention to the prospects available.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I wonder if we would even be having this conversation if LA had been crap these past few years instead of a pseudo dynasty.

It's a damn shame that of all the decades the Leafs had to be extra futile in, it had to be the 10 years leading up to their centennial. Thanks for the "short cut" Burke. Had the rebuild been done right back then we'd probably be getting everything. I doubt a competent Leafs team would be getting disrespected like this.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if we would even be having this conversation if LA had been crap these past few years instead of a pseudo dynasty.

It's a damn shame that of all the decades the Leafs had to be extra futile in, it had to be the 10 years leading up to their centennial. Thanks for the "short cut" Burke. Had the rebuild been done right back then we'd probably be getting everything. I doubt a competent Leafs team would be getting disrespected like this.
How about if Tim Leiweke was still working at MLSE? I remember he said how Toronto wanted the Winter Classic and All Star Game for their 100th anniversary, he mentioned how Montreal got everything they wanted for their centennial season and assumed the NHL would do the same thing for the Leafs.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Funny thing is was it not the Leafs who hosted the first ever All-Star Game as a charity event for Ace Bailey after the Eddie Shore incident?

It would make sense that the team who initiated the ASG was acknowledged with an ASG in their centennial year.

Mad Brills*

I just thought of one reason the NHL and NBC would not give the Leafs a Winter Classic next year. Since you mentioned it was also the Penguins and Flyers celebrating their 50th anniversary season, what if they are picked to play each other in the Winter Classic in Beaver Stadium at Penn State University. I remember reading a while ago that is something they might consider doing and the Bettman can use their 50th anniversary's as an excuse. What's even worse if that happened it would be their 3rd time each playing in a Winter Classic. Pittsburgh played in the 2008 and 2011 WC's. Philadelphia played in the 2010 and 2012 WC's.

Also besides the Leafs 100th anniversary the NHL also owes them a Winter Classic based on this precedent. Every team who first played in a Winter Classic as the visitors went onto to host it. The only team who can't host it is the Rangers because of some tax rule which says all their home games must be played at MSG. That's why they were the "visiting team" when they played those 2 Stadium Series games at Yankee Stadium, however in reality they were the home team, just not officially. Anyway since the Leafs were the visiting team in the 2014 Winter Classic that right there shows they deserve to host it.

they're playing an american team regardless.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

I mean there's other teams in the league that isn't the Maple Leafs. The Kings have become a serious contending franchise and I don't mind the NHL giving them the all-star game to help commemorate their 50th anniversary. I mean Toronto is essentially getting an "All-Star" game with the World Cup coming to town.

I think having more meaningful events like the Draft and the Winter Classic are more than enough ways for the League to honor the Leafs centennial year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad