The Sun: NHL plans to commemorate Leafs' 100th anniversary - just not with all-star game

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
At this point, I'm just shaking my head at the NHL's tone deaf DGAF attitude towards Toronto.

They can't even give us a Stadium Series? A Centennial Classic?
Way to treat this market like a black sheep franchise.

well thats still possible. an outdoor game can still be hosted on jan 1. remember, the chicago/st.louis winter classic is held on jan 2 (monday) cause they dont want to go against the nfl schedule.

so sunday jan.1 will probably be the leafs game vs. habs. thats if the nhl decides not to snub us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
well thats still possible. an outdoor game can still be hosted on jan 1. remember, the chicago/st.louis winter classic is held on jan 2 (monday) cause they dont want to go against the nfl schedule.

so sunday jan.1 will probably be the leafs game vs. habs. thats if the nhl decides not to snub us.

The NHL is such a loser. A winter classic on January 2 because of the NFL.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why is January 2nd a public holiday anyway?

cause jan 1 (public holiday) falls on a sunday which is already a day off for the work force. in order to compensate for that, the following monday is given as a day off. anytime a public holiday falls on saturday or sunday, the following monday will automatically be a day off.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
cause jan 1 (public holiday) falls on a sunday which is already a day off for the work force. in order to compensate for that, the following monday is given as a day off. anytime a public holiday falls on saturday or sunday, the following monday will automatically be a day off.

to further clarify - for some people.
mostly government/service people.
though for most people that is still part of their Christmas vacation anyway

well again, yay for an outdoor game.

I know for myself there were a lot of people hoping for the draft because it just made more sense, especially with how often we'd be picking up - but a winter...well no. a heritage...

whatever this puppy is, it's good

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know for myself there were a lot of people hoping for the draft because it just made more sense, especially with how often we'd be picking up - but a winter...well no. a heritage...

whatever this puppy is, it's good
I know this was a long shot but I was hoping for the Winter Classic, All Star Game and the draft.

Since Toronto previous played in the Winter Classic I assumed they would host it like all the previous road teams and if Howard Berger's blog was right, the NHL wanted them to host it against the Rangers until NBC told them no.

As for the All Star Game and draft I always thought since Montreal hosted both for their centennial, the NHL would have no choice to give those events to Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad