NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - LUCKY PHASE THIRTEEN! Part One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Not a single one.

How would you say it compares to Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift?

oRyuLxy.gif

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
We love versatility. With that in mind, four artists immediately came to mind when the Band category was announced, two each on two different "main" instruments, though each at least played their instrument and sang lead vocals. One of them is already gone, and while we think he may have recorded himself singing a greater range of music genres, our selection here created a genre. And we have no doubt that the Father of Soul could easily adapt both his playing and singing to any style of music the band decides to perform that night.

There's really just too much that could be said about this pick. I'll let him speak for himself.

Band Member 1: Ray Charles (Piano, vocals, saxophone, organ, trumpet)

@Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Ghibli know there’s a likelihood we will get sniped on another pick, but we need to reach on our 1st Round Band QB. This is the one person we cannot afford to lose in our group.

The Honolulu Ghibli saunter up the podium to select for our Team Band: John Frusciante (guitar, backing vocals, multi-instrumentals).

BoldCaringHornshark-size_restricted.gif

John Frusciante is the Ghibli's favorite guitarist, and it’s not close. Yes, he can melt your face and weaponize the guitar into a maelstrom of funky percussion, but that’s not even scraping the surface of his gifts.

His well never runs dry for catchy melodies and creative chord voicings and memorable chord progressions. He’s as artful as anyone with his hypnotic fills and layering; his feel for groove and rhythm and spacing is second to none. A John Frusciante pause between a note has more emotional heft than most guitarist’s striking one. Which really gets to his most unique quality for a virtuoso: restraint. He never overpowers the mood of the song or his bandmates.

And Frusciante’s backing vocals and harmonies have long been the secret weapon of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (they’re in virtually every song, and they’d feel naked without). Same goes for his use of synths and electronics for atmosphere.

I’m sure many people know the hits and riffs, but here’s some deeper cuts that highlight his gifts:

@mja -- hey, never sat next to you before! Here's a mint.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The Ghibli know there’s a likelihood we will get sniped on another pick, but we need to reach on our 1st Round Band QB. This is the one person we cannot afford to lose in our group.

The Honolulu Ghibli saunter up the podium to select for our Team Band: John Frusciante (guitar, backing vocals, multi-instrumentals).

BoldCaringHornshark-size_restricted.gif

John Frusciante is the Ghibli's favorite guitarist, and it’s not close. Yes, he can melt your face and weaponize the guitar into a maelstrom of funky percussion, but that’s not even scraping the surface of his gifts.

His well never runs dry for catchy melodies and creative chord voicings and memorable chord progressions. He’s as artful as anyone with his hypnotic fills and layering; his feel for groove and rhythm and spacing is second to none. A John Frusciante pause between a note has more emotional heft than most guitarist’s striking one. Which really gets to his most unique quality for a virtuoso: restraint. He never overpowers the mood of the song or his bandmates.

And Frusciante’s backing vocals and harmonies have long been the secret weapon of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (they’re in virtually every song, and they’d feel naked without). Same goes for his use of synths and electronics for atmosphere.

I’m sure many people know the hits and riffs, but here’s some deeper cuts that highlight his gifts:

@mja -- hey, never sat next to you before! Here's a mint.

Didnt even write him on my list because I knew you'd take him

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
@Magua, thanks for the mint!

We had one of two picks in mind as we thought about this pick last night: 1) Classic Film or 2) Frontman for our Supergroup. We reluctantly decided that we'd go with the film if it was still available, which was doubtful, because it was definitely not going to last. Little did we expect the freaking mayor of munchkinland of all people to take Casablanca off of the board with the very first pick, like some stupid monkey climbing a tower to swat down the hopes of the more civilized among us. No matter.

For our Supergroup, we have a few guiding principals. First, I'm going to draw on my favorite artists here, so while there may be better players out there, that isn't so important. Second, we're looking for iconic badassery, so our band members are going to have to meet that criteria. Third, like team bands Sebadoh & Teenage Fanclub, everyone hits. Everyone is writing songs, singing, and contributing, and part of the fun is how they figure that out, whether they go the Teenage Fanclub route and mine pop music with a shared brain, or fuse completely different sensibilities like in the classic Sebadoh lineup where Lou's folk songs about heartache often sat cheek-by-jowl with Eric's demented visions of hell.

We're going to start with our nominal frontman, a true icon of 90's indie rock (and still going), Stephen Malkmus.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Stylistically, he's crashed together every genre imaginable to create his own thing - classic rock, prog rock, power pop, punk, post-punk, 80's college rock, and more. Lyrically, he writes wiseass poetry built on free association, word play, puns, non-sequiturs, and references both literary and pop culture, that somehow still conveys deep meaning while being completely ambiguous. No matter what he does, he sounds like Malkmus, whether it's Pavement, his stuff with the Jicks, or the more experimental solo stuff. It'll be interesting to see how his very particular sensibility marries with his as yet unannounced bandmates. SM will play guitar and handle vocals, both lead and backing, as appropriate. He might also get in on some synths, as that's been a thing he's played around with recently.

Here are some choice cuts for the uninitiated:

@Chuck Downie, I know what film you should take and if you don't take it I will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Magua, thanks for the mint!

We had one of two picks in mind as we though about this pick last night: 1) Classic Film or 2) Frontman for our Supergroup. We reluctantly decided that we'd go with the film if it was still available, which was doubtful, because it was definitely not going to last. Little did we expect that the freaking mayor of munchkinland of all people to take Casablanca off of the board with the very first pick, like some stupid monkey climbing a tower to swat down the hopes of the more civilized among us. No matter.

For our Supergroup, we have a few guiding principals. First, I'm going to draw on my favorite artists here, so while there may be better players out there, that isn't so important. Second, we're looking for iconic badassery, so our band members are going to have to meet that criteria. Third, like team bands Sebadoh & Teenage Fanclub, everyone hits. Everyone is writing songs, singing, and contributing, and part of the fun is how they figure that out, whether they go the Teenage Fanclub route and mine pop music with a shared brain, or fuse completely different sensibilities like in the classic Sebadoh lineup where Lou's folk songs about heartache often sat cheek-by-jowl with Eric's demented visions of hell.

We're going to start with our nominal frontman, a true icon of 90's indie rock (and still going), Stephen Malkmus.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Stylistically, he's crashed together every genre imaginable to create his own thing - classic rock, prog rock, power pop, punk, post-punk, 80's college rock, and more. Lyrically, he writes wiseass poetry built on free association, word play, puns, non-sequiturs, and references both literary and pop culture, that somehow still conveys deep meaning while being completely ambiguous. No matter what he does, he sounds like Malkmus, whether it's Pavement, his stuff with the Jicks, or the more experimental solo stuff. It'll be interesting to see how his very particular sensibility marries with his as yet unannounced bandmates. SM will play guitar and handle vocals, both lead and backing, as appropriate. He might also get in on some synths, as that's been a thing he's played around with recently.

Here are some choice cuts for the uninitiated:

@Chuck Downie, I know what film you should take and if you don't take it I will be disappointed.

I knew that was coming. I'm glad you got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad