Olympics: NHL homers think team Russia has KHLers for political reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladNYC*

I know Siberian says some out there things but why attack him over calling out a HORRIBLE article?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I know Siberian says some out there things but why attack him over calling out a HORRIBLE article?

You could replace 'out there' with wrong or hypocritical. I have seen him contradict himself in single threads.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Those articles are awful, but no need to troll the NHL over it. We have a few good writers out here but for the most part these guys are paid to talk, and who's going to call them out on something like that. Most of my friends probably don't even know what the KHL is.

Is Russian journalism on hockey any better than the usual stuff we get out here? Not intended to be a loaded/leading question, but a "wow I've never really thought of what Russian journalism" is like.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada

It's 1 guys opinion of the situation. Probably from a guy that has never watched or cared about a KHL game in his life. He's probably never seen these players he's mentioning. Who cares that some guy from outside of Russia gave an un-informed report a topic including Russian hockey. Not even close to thread worthy and certainly not worth the vitrol that the OP was laced with. It's like he makes it out to be an international insult. It's complete non-news, and the circus show goes off the deep end with it. It's laughable, that's all, especially considering who it's comming from.

VladNYC*

Those articles are awful, but no need to troll the NHL over it. We have a few good writers out here but for the most part these guys are paid to talk, and who's going to call them out on something like that. Most of my friends probably don't even know what the KHL is.

Is Russian journalism on hockey any better than the usual stuff we get out here? Not intended to be a loaded/leading question, but a "wow I've never really thought of what Russian journalism" is like.

Well considering Russian writers know about the KHL and NHL so yes, they are better.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Somebody on this board needs to burst your and Vic's bubbles. Without me you'd be thinking that Canada is a reigning Olympic champion.

Why would you say that? What does Canada have to do with this topic? This thread? Anything that Vic or I have mentioned?............... What are you even talking about?

VladNYC*

It's 1 guys opinion of the situation. Probably from a guy that has never watched or cared about a KHL game in his life. He's probably never seen these players he's mentioning. Who cares that some guy from outside of Russia gave an un-informed report a topic including Russian hockey. Not even close to thread worthy and certainly not worth the vitrol that the OP was laced with. It's like he makes it out to be an international insult. It's complete non-news, and the circus show goes off the deep end with it. It's laughable, that's all, especially considering who it's comming from.

Dude, it's on NHL.com not some idiot nobody on his blog.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Dude, it's on NHL.com not some idiot nobody on his blog.

Still.

Oh my God! Some guy on NHL.com has an un-informed opinion on the Russian roster!!! I just have to make sure that HF knows all about it!! What an outrage!

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
If some of you want to live in your own ideal world - don't read my messages. On the other hand if you'll want to learn anything about Russian hockey - then you are welcome to read my messages and discuss it with me. Attacking myself instead of what I write is useless because I am myself a master of personal attacks.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Still.

Oh my God! Some guy on NHL.com has an un-informed opinion on the Russian roster!!! I just have to make sure that HF knows all about it!! What an outrage!

No, it was basically said by NHL PR guy. Either he is completely clueless or he is just feeding an obvious anti KHL propoganda.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
If some of you want to live in your own ideal world - don't read my messages. On the other hand if you'll want to learn anything about Russian hockey - then you are welcome to read my messages and discuss it with me. Attacking myself instead of what I write is useless because I am myself a master of personal attacks.

ummm....

They are nhl homers you are a khl homer. who cares.

VladNYC*

Still.

It's not just uninformed opinions but kgb-esque conspiracy theories.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The IIHF respects all suspensions in the NHL. In the case of Todd Bertuzzi who was suspended by the NHL he was not allowed to play for any IIHF member states domestic league and wasn’t allowed to play international hockey. Granted these situations would be very different in nature, but there is a precedent set by the NHL and the IIHF to respect suspensions in the NHL. As well the new 2010 IIHF rules state that,

“For a breach of a valid and binding contract there will be an automatic four month suspension on playing in official national and international games during playing periods.”

Breaching a contract from an NHL team would be leaving to go play in the Olympics. So if the NHL is not onboard these players can't play.

Yes and no.

Looking into it more, it appears to depend on the contract of the player.
From IIHF regulations:

Sporting sanctions shall be imposed on players found to be in breach of contract (a) during the first three years of a contract for players aged up to and including 28 years of age, and (b) during the first two years of a contract for players aged 29 and over.

The sanction shall be an automatic four month suspension......

So it appears players like Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk (if he signs long-term) would not be suspend from olympic play if they breach their NHL contracts.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russians are funny.

...but not as funny as these people.:p:;)

southparkcanada.jpg

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Yes and no.

Looking into it more, it appears to depend on the contract of the player.
From IIHF regulations:

Sporting sanctions shall be imposed on players found to be in breach of contract (a) during the first three years of a contract for players aged up to and including 28 years of age, and (b) during the first two years of a contract for players aged 29 and over.

The sanction shall be an automatic four month suspension......

So it appears players like Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk (if he signs long-term) would not be suspend from olympic play if they breach their NHL contracts.

Well this will probably be something for lawyers to fight over in a few years, and since I am not a lawyer I will leave to them ;). I think we can agree that the NHL will do everything to stop it from happening, but we just differ as to who will have the legal advantage. It would be interesting to see if the IIHF which respects NHL suspensions if they would in this case (the NHL would obviously suspend a player for breaking contract).

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Well this will probably be something for lawyers to fight over in a few years, and since I am not a lawyer I will leave to them ;). I think we can agree that the NHL will do everything to stop it from happening, but we just differ as to who will have the legal advantage. It would be interesting to see if the IIHF which respects NHL suspensions if they would in this case (the NHL would obviously suspend a player for breaking contract).
If the NHL pulls out of the Olympics, why exactly would the IIHF continue honouring NHL suspensions to begin with?
I mean this is not set in stone, in fact this rule has only existed since the start of this season (see Radulov).

The IIHF has gone out of its way to accomodate the NHL in return for NHL participation in the Olympics. If NHL participation in the Olympics is discontinued, then so will this rule.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
If the NHL pulls out of the Olympics, why exactly would the IIHF continue honouring NHL suspensions to begin with?
I mean this is not set in stone, in fact this rule has only existed since the start of this season (see Radulov).

The IIHF has gone out of its way to accomodate the NHL in return for NHL participation in the Olympics. If NHL participation in the Olympics is discontinued, then so will this rule.

Not true, the IIHF honors NHL suspensions, and I am not talking just contractual. Like I said earlier the most obvious example was when Todd Bertuzzi was suspended by the NHL, he was not allowed to play in international competition and not allowed to play in any IIHF member states leagues. While the circumstances are different, the IIHF has recognized and accepted NHL suspensions in the past.

The players who leave would be suspended by the NHL, so the IIHF might have a legal problem if by their own rules they honor NHL suspensions and they decide not to in this instance. The owners don’t want players to play in the Olympics, so they are going to take all the necessary legal steps to do so

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Not true, the IIHF honors NHL suspensions, and I am not talking just contractual. Like I said earlier the most obvious example was when Todd Bertuzzi was suspended by the NHL, he was not allowed to play in international competition and not allowed to play in any IIHF member states leagues. While the circumstances are different, the IIHF has recognized and accepted NHL suspensions in the past.

The players who leave would be suspended by the NHL, so the IIHF might have a legal problem if by their own rules they honor NHL suspensions and they decide not to in this instance. The owners don’t want players to play in the Olympics, so they are going to take all the necessary legal steps to do so

Not really, Gary Suter played in 98 despite his suspension.

In 2002, Hockey Canada decided to honor NHL's suspension, not the IIHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad