Olympics: NHL homers think team Russia has KHLers for political reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I just wasted 10 minutes of my time thinking that the NHL radio actually have people who know something about hockey. The level of knowledge is just embarassing, probably lower than an average HFboarder. They actually said that Russia named KHLers on the roster for the political reasons and their plan was to change the roster for other Russian NHLers. Just amusing.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=979&id=57727

Spence334

Dec 23, 2008
I just wasted 10 minutes of my time thinking that the NHL radio actually have people who know something about hockey. The level of knowledge is just embarassing, probably lower than an average HFboarder. They actually said that Russia named KHLers on the roster for the political reasons and their plan was to change the roster for other Russian NHLers. Just amusing.

Maybe hes right.:sarcasm:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

i dont know kozlov over frolov makes you wonder

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Way to endear yourself to the board....As for politics, Russia couldn't ice a full line-up based on only NHLers, could it? All things being equal, it comes down to preferance more than anything, although if you don't think Medvedev isn't making *some* sort of statement here, I think you're a bit naive.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006

I just watched that, it was as funny as reading ONE stupid post @ HFBoards.

Bryzgalov has a better playoffs record than Nabokov so let's start Bryzgalov? 9 KHLers for political reasons? no depth? they mention Russia's loss to Slovakia in 2006 but don't mention the 5-0 win against Sweden on the next day? they're the type of guys who put Canada #1 in Torino, and all they do is swear by the power of names on a paper.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Way to endear yourself to the board....As for politics, Russia couldn't ice a full line-up based on only NHLers, could it? All things being equal, it comes down to preferance more than anything, although if you don't think Medvedev isn't making *some* sort of statement here, I think you're a bit naive.

You're just another example of NHL fans knowing nothing of the situation.
Medvedev has nothing to do with the national team. At times he's actually been at odds with Bykov/Zakharkin in terms of releasing KHL players for national team duty during EHT.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
like what? give an example, and don't mention Viktor Kozlov over Frolov because Kozlov plays for Bykov in Russia

Because the NHL is the greatest league in the world and by virtue of that every Evgeni Artyukhin type who gets an NHL paycheck is clearly, vastly superior than nonames like mozorov who can't hack it in the greatest league in the world.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
So to summarize the thread up to now, the two sides shown thus far are: "Russia is taking KHL players for political reasons rofl", and, "No they're not lol"? Thrilling debate being put forth by both sides, I'll be sure to stay tuned to this thread.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You're just another example of NHL fans knowing nothing of the situation.
Medvedev has nothing to do with the national team. At times he's actually been at odds with Bykov/Zakharkin in terms of releasing KHL players for national team duty during EHT.

Fair enough. I'll defer to your knowledge of the situation. Personally it doesn't seem all that differant the NCAA/CHL debate that gets thrown around about the construct of the U.S. WJC teams.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Because the NHL is the greatest league in the world and by virtue of that every Evgeni Artyukhin type who gets an NHL paycheck is clearly, vastly superior than nonames like mozorov who can't hack it in the greatest league in the world.

Yep.

Russia will bring Artukhin, Anisimov, Kulikov, Ivan Vishnevsky and Zharkov.

ult

Sep 21, 2009

Thx for sharing. :laugh:

VladNYC*

Ha! What a joke.

Everyday the hockey media makes hfboards look smarter and smarter. I am not even going to get into it. These guys don't know anything about the khl.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The reason Russia has obtained #1 IIHF ranking is because decisions ARE NOT political anymore.
Bykov/Zakharkin/Tretiak judge players based on their merits regardless of where they play - and players obviously respect them for it.

If decisions were political, would Russian NHLers be so willing to play for national team nowadays?…even to the extent of threatening to break NHL contracts (Ovechkin, Malkin, etc.)? I think not.

Remember this is NHL media though, so it’s a given that KHL/Russia will be badmouthed to some degree or another.
I think there’s a quota they have to meet every month.:laugh:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Here's another beauty from the all-knowing Scott Burnside of ESPN.com (I know, I know)

2. Oh, Russia
Wouldn't it be rich if Russia couldn't get its act together at the Olympics because of the politics behind the makeup of its 2010 team? Months of braying and crowing about the strength of the Kontinental Hockey League has led to pressure to name as many KHL players to the Olympic squad as possible. Half of those invited to the Russians' orientation camp this past summer were from the KHL, as if that somehow legitimized the upstart league.

Now players like Alexei Kovalev (OK, he's been junk in Ottawa, but the man is a world talent), Alexander Frolov (seventh among Russian NHL skaters with 24 points although he is minus-10) and New York Rangers rookie Artem Anisimov (tied for ninth among all NHL rookies with 15 points) have been left off the roster in favor of fading veterans like Viktor Kozlov and anonymous players like Danis Zaripov, Sergei Zinoviev and Ilya Nikulin.

Maybe they'll be household names by the time the Olympics are over; or, perhaps, the Russians will have been too worried about puffing up the KHL to build the best team they could and hockey politics could cost them a gold in Vancouver.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/p...hkin-game-better-ever-first-career-suspension

LOL, I can't believe these guys have a job.

With the only possible exception of Viktor Kozlov, I have no problems with the players that were selected.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The reason Russia has obtained #1 IIHF ranking is because decisions ARE NOT political anymore.
Bykov/Zakharkin/Tretiak judge players based on their merits regardless of where they play - and players obviously respect them for it.

If decisions were political, would Russian NHLers be so willing to play for national team nowadays?…even to the extent of threatening to break NHL contracts (Ovechkin, Malkin, etc.)? I think not.

Remember this is NHL media though, so it’s a given that KHL/Russia will be badmouthed to some degree or another.
I think there’s a quota they have to meet every month.:laugh:

Malkin broke contract to get out of Russia and Ovi seems to love it over here. I don't think there is a chance that either break contract...

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sometimes I feel like certain fans go out of their way to be offended. You don't like the radio show, web cast, or article then don't listen to or read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad